Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 58143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aren't you going to ask why I wish it was Lon Chaney's last film?

I was wondering why you didn't wish whatever movie he made before this was his last film.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Aren't you going to ask why I wish it was Lon Chaney's last film?

That's a good question.

The answer is that his actual last film, Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1971), makes Indestructible Man look like a masterpiece of cinematic history. At least it has the benefit of Joe Flynn and Robert Shayne in supporting roles. I hate to think of the circumstances which led to Chaney making Dracula vs. Frankenstein

I've seen Indestructible Man before, but it wasn't exactly as I remembered it. I remembered Chaney's head atop a "Tin Woodsman" like torso. What movie was I thinking of...?

I remember seeing Dracula vs, Frankenstein on the Creature Double Feature when I was a kid.  It was awful.  Probably wouldn't even have worked for MST3K.

What you describe sounds a bit like the Robot in The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy..

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I've seen Indestructible Man before, but it wasn't exactly as I remembered it. I remembered Chaney's head atop a "Tin Woodsman" like torso. What movie was I thinking of...?

Fun fact! There are three movies called Dracula vs Frankenstein, all from the same era, and they all suck more than a trio of undead Transylvanian brides. The one with Chaney is the best of the lot.

Let that sink in.

My reviews of all three appear here.

"What you describe sounds a bit like the Robot in The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy."

Could be. I don't remember watching that movie specifically, but that phot looks familiar. It's quite possible this is the movie I was thinking of.

"Let that sink in."

Difficult to believe. You may have posted a link to that article in the past; in any case, the details (such as the biker flick footage) all came flooding back to me. I take you you have not yet located a copy of the third (Spanish) D. vs. F.

I take you you have not yet located a copy of the third (Spanish) D. vs. F.

No! I've seen at least half of the movie in clips, so maybe it's not fair to judge it but.... The clips suggest I'm probably  judging it fairly.

The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy is another film that found its way to the Satellite of Love.

Maybe that's where I saw it (if I saw it, I don't remember). 

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (1923): I've been a fan of Carl Laemmle since I first saw Dracula and Frankenstein on Saturday afternoon TV as a kid, but i guess i didn't realize until recently that he had also directed the silent film versions of The Phantom of the Opera and The Hunchback of Notre Dame. The cinematography of Hunchback is particularly impressive. 

Maybe.  It was from the show's first season, which was seldom re-run.  I didn't see most of that season's episodes until they were released on DVD.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Maybe that's where I saw it (if I saw it, I don't remember). 

Oh, no... not there then. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Luke Blanchard replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 957 Super-Heroines
"Freckles Marvel (Fawcett) -Uncle Dudley's niece adopted this identity and adventured with…"
8 minutes ago
"The Supergirl of the 5020th century -From Supergirl's feature in Superman Family #215-#216."
33 minutes ago
"Strong Girl from "Power Battery Peril", Green Lantern (Silver Age) #32 -An alien…"
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 957 Super-Heroines
"Therwe's a lot that I don't know abouit Silver Age DC."
1 hour ago
"Visually she's a female version of Johnny DC, a house ad character from the Silver Age. The…"
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 957 Super-Heroines
"Added Patriette from Common Grounds."
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 956 Super-Heroines
"Added: Belle Air Buffy the Vampire-Slayer Charm Kittycat Knockout Magna-Woman"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 950 Super-Heroines
"Added: Doll Woman "Earth-10" Firehawk "Tangrnt" Green Lantern (Arisia…"
6 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"I don't even know that it's Kevlar per se; I just said that that the way some people say…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"All-Winners #21 got its numbering from Young Allies. (It was you who set me straight on…"
7 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Determined to grab some of the lucrative "Archie" sales, DC launched its own version in…"
8 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Kevlar is bullet-resistant, but it's not impregnable."
9 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service