Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

Views: 41291

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Big agree on Creepy Larry Talbot. My wife was watching the opening, and she was totally grossed out by the chauvinism.

JohnD said:

Speaking of Universal monsters, ironically, The Wolfman, with Lon Chaney Jr. Was featured on Svenghoolie last night.

Several things struck me about this film; formost that it was good to see Bela Lugosi play a charactor that was not villian. He played the tragic gypsy with surprising emotional range. Sadly, his was a small part here. Did anyone find Larry Talbot to be creepier as a man than as a werewolf? I did. Finally, why was Bela's werewolf so clearly wolf like, while Chaney looked like JoJo the dog faced. Boy?

JohnD said:

Several things struck me about this film; formost that it was good to see Bela Lugosi play a charactor that was not villian. He played the tragic gypsy with surprising emotional range. Sadly, his was a small part here. Did anyone find Larry Talbot to be creepier as a man than as a werewolf? I did. Finally, why was Bela's werewolf so clearly wolf like, while Chaney looked like JoJo the dog faced. Boy?

I always just went with, lycanthropy affects everyone a little differently. One of my favorite takes on werewolves is in the original Ginger Snaps, in which the bitten grows more wolf-like as the full moon grows near. The sequels aren't so good, but the original is inventive, hilarious, bloody, and often scary, in that haunted-house kind of way.

Moving out of sequential order, we watched Son of Frankenstein last night. we'll probably watch Ghost tonight, follow by Young tomorrow. Tracy has seen Young Frankenstein only once, with me, and remembers almost nothing about it. Regarding the whole "doctor or monster" thing, even Wolf Frankenstein acknowledges that "nine out of ten people" think the monster is called "Frankenstein." I'll bet the confusion goes all the way back to the first sequel. Who thinks of Elizabeth when they hear "Bride of Frankenstein"? As I've posted before: "Knowing that Frankenstein is the Doctor is knowledge; knowing that Frankenstein is the monster is wisdom."

We also have a lot of lesser known universal horror movies. Son of Dracula and Dracula's Daughter, but also Black Cat, Black Friday, House of Horrors, Werewolf of London, etc. We'll likely move on to those next as long as this mood holds.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

. Regarding the whole "doctor or monster" thing, even Wolf Frankenstein acknowledges that "nine out of ten people" think the monster is called "Frankenstein." I'll bet the confusion goes all the way back to the first sequel. Who thinks of Elizabeth when they hear "Bride of Frankenstein"? As I've posted before: "Knowing that Frankenstein is the Doctor is knowledge; knowing that Frankenstein is the monster is wisdom."

I suspect it goes back to the original novel's popularity, though, I suppose, sons do in this culture take their father's surname, so knowing that Frankenstein is the monster is also knowledge, in addition to wisdom. But I suspect for nine out of ten people, that's what they think the monster is literally called in the novel and movie, because he's certainly called that in popular culture.

Man, I sure could go for a lager and a knockwurst.

The last movie that I went to see before my health problems struck was a special showing of Young Frankenstein with an interview with Mel Brooks. While I've seen it multiple times, experiencing it on the big screen is something I will cherish!

If you have never seen it, do not pass up watching The Black Cat. It is one of the creepiest movies to come out of Universals golden age. I am surprised at some of the story elements that made it passed the censors.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

We also have a lot of lesser known universal horror movies. Son of Dracula and Dracula's Daughter, but also Black Cat, Black Friday, House of Horrors, Werewolf of London, etc. We'll likely move on to those next as long as this mood holds.

I've always loved Young Frankenstein. Bits of it haven't aged well.

Philip Portelli said:

The last movie that I went to see before my health problems struck was a special showing of Young Frankenstein with an interview with Mel Brooks. While I've seen it multiple times, experiencing it on the big screen is something I will cherish!

I have (let's see...) thirty three movies in the Universal Studios Classics Collection on VHS. That's not all of them, but it's almost all of them. whereas I've seen them all, some of them (such as The Black Cat) I have seen far less frequently than others. 

Young Frankenstein was the first Mel Brooks movie I ever saw, and that was first run, in the theater. I have seen them all over the years, but Young Frankenstein remains my favorite.

I would definitely eat at Frank-N-Stein! 

Much of Mel Brooks' style of comedy hasn't like Blazing SaddlesHistory of the World Part 1 and even Robin Hood Men In Tights but I think Young Frankenstein holds up better than those. Which parts do you mean?

The Baron said:

Philip Portelli said:

Mostly I'm thinking of the rape scene.

Philip Portelli said:

Much of Mel Brooks' style of comedy hasn't like Blazing SaddlesHistory of the World Part 1 and even Robin Hood Men In Tights but I think Young Frankenstein holds up better than those. Which parts do you mean?

The Baron said:

Philip Portelli said:

Very much like the rape scene in Gone with the Wind.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service