I am going to attempt to connect certain events from the worlds of various comics, movies, TV shows and pop culture into a hopefully logical narrative much like my Gorilla City thread. Each entry may not connect with the previous one.

Of course, comments, additions and suppositions are always welcome!

Views: 557

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Boy Who's Coming! Part 3

As we approached our quarry, we passed a group of golden statuettes in a small alcove. Mrs. Peel stopped in front of it. 

"How strange. Do either of you know what this is?"

"I do," said John, "It's a replica of a much larger display called "The Fountain of Magical Brethren". That's a wizard, a witch, a centaur, a goblin and a house-elf. Supposed to represent unity between the different races but don't you believe it. There's some real problems with this culture, both deep down and at its surface."

"Such bizarre creatures. How did this start?"

"I was wondering the same thing. I know about some secret magical realms but this? Do you know where these people came from?"

"Only their own legends plus what other sorcerers theorize."

"Oh, tell us, John. Please"

"There's no time. It's too convoluted and it's a lot of conjecture."

"Might not get another chance."

"Fine. Here's the short short version. And don't interrupt. I can't explain everything. The Age of Man came after a great war when an object of tremendous evil was destroyed. One of the results of that was that the other races of the world, the Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Orcs, Trolls and the like were dwindling. Some left this world. Others perished while a hardier few continued to live in the quieter places, sometimes with those they once fought against. Generations later, after Man's Noblest King and his kin were gone, there was another war but this time between "gods" and "demons" who wanted the knowledge the Non-Humans had."

"Gods?"

"Not the ones you know, Knight. These were beings of great power in a terrible conflict with twisted versions of themselves. Some say it was Olympia and Lemuria or New Genesis and Apokolips, even "Heaven" and "Hell" but whoever was after them, they needed to be protected so they went to a city of men. But they wanted their power, too in exchange for their protection. Even after centuries, men remembered how they were made to feel lesser than the others. Now they wanted to be superior. The other races refused and went to the Last of the Elders, a being who was said to be there before any of the races began. He listened and decided to teach men some of his magic, his songs and verses so that all would be equal. And learned they did but they could not control their new power so the Eldest crafted wands of different woods infused with relics from mystical creatures, connecting them with the natural world. This allowed them to focus and hone their new abilities. That made this small group of men able to defend the others."

"And did they?"

"At first, yes until the threat was over or at least a stalemate was achieved. But they soon comprised spells that undermined the other races, diminishing their magic, altering their appearances and they tried to enslave them. And it worked, partly. The once-mighty Elves were twisted into these subservient House-Elves. A few escaped but were turned into centaurs. The Dwarves and Orcs became Goblins but kept their minds which resulted in a few rebellions. Trolls, Giants, Mere-People all came from this with these people calling themselves Wizards and Witches, on top of their self-created hierarchy. When the Eldest saw what he had inadvertently caused, his grief was overwhelming and he faded from memory in shame."

"How terrible."

"Yeah, they were right bloody tyrants though you won't find that in their history books. It would have gotten worse, too if Merlin hadn't come and set them right. Created a government of sorts. Told the Wizards to stay in seclusion or they would be destroyed by "normal" men who vastly outnumbered them. Laid the foundation for this entire culture. It was his greatest success and his greatest failure. Didn't fix the problems or right the wrongs. Just covered them up with rules and traditions. In a big way, that's why we're here! Well, let's get this over with!"

"Cursed, cursed creator! Why do I live?"

I call myself FRANK STONE, hardly an imaginative name but I was never that imaginative. I write these words on my first wedding anniversary as my beautiful wife MARILYN sleeps so peacefully. Indeed this diary is her idea as is the reason for writing it. I met her while sponsoring some event at her college and was immediately drawn to her. Back then I was far more wealthy though we are still very comfortable, enough to retain my faithful butler WILLIAM. Soon we began dating and I was filled with trepidation as my secret seemed to loom over us. In short, I was the "hero" called FRANKENSTEIN and I had no clue on how this sweet girl would react to that! Green skin, white hair, an artificial being who wondered if he deserved life or love! 

She too appeared to worry as our relationship blossomed. She wanted me to meet her family but was afraid that would be too "aggressive" on her part. I laughed and said that I would be all to happy to meet them! To say that experience was an eye-opener would be an understatement. Now I understood the rumors about her and why she was unattached, despite her looks. Of course, they didn't bother me though her grandfather had a definite aura of mischief. And he could turn into a bat, something I thought only my friend Al could do.

But it was her uncle that changed my life. An affable, bumbling giant with a grip that gave even me pause, he was the very image of my namesake, the "Monster" of Frankenstein. Apparently he was created in a similar way by a relative of Doctor Frankenstein, but given a kinder brain and raised in a more gentler environment. He was even a veteran!

Meeting her uncle made me question my origins as little as I knew of them. I revealed  my identity to her and her family and they took it better than I expected. Her little cousin wanted to be my sidekick! She encouraged me to delve into my past, no matter what it was, and that she would wait for me. So William and I travelled to California to track down whatever clues we could about how I entered this world.

After a few months with the help of a detective named Johnny Peril, I entered the home of the deceased DOCTOR FRANK MANNERING, formerly of Cardiff, England who had encountered the original Monster in the European country of Vasaria in 1943. Judging by his notes, he learned a great deal about the creature's creation but something terrible had happened that shook him to his core. He had lost the love of BARONESS ELSA VON FRANKENSTEIN, Victor's granddaughter, but she continued to be his patroness as he strove to redeem himself. He emigrated to America and worked in the technical fields in Hollywood all the while trying to find some way to prove that Frankenstein's theories could work.

His journals listed several scientists that he conferred with: WILLIAM CARMODY, ANTHONY DUNN, CHARLES LINK, NILES CAULDER, PROFESSOR OCHANOMIZU, RUDOLF WELLS among others. From those discussions, Mannering decided to craft a powerful synthetic body with small portions of organic material, mostly, to no one's surprise, a brain.

I saw the plans for my own body, the chemicals used to give my skin durability had dyed it green, my muscles were infused with an isotope of thorium and artificial blood was pumped through an artificial heart. But my brain? It was real but hardly mine. That conundrum would not let me rest. Apparently Dr. Mannering hid that bit of information well. But it was my Marilyn that gave me hope. She sent me to a family that hers knew and one of them was something of a seer. Surrounded by another odd family, in their creepy yet kooky house, this eccentric, seductive woman, as opposite in looks to Marilyn as can be, pointed me in the right direction. 

I found the documents I was searching for. Dr. Mannering had used the brain of a deceased New Mexico state trooper who was killed in 1954 in Los Angeles by, and this is absolutely true, giant ants. While I do not have his memories, his decency and bravery live on in me! 

Now that I have a history and roots, I could marry my love and be the man that she deserves!

Good stuff!

From the diary of FRANK STONE:

After spending a lot of quality time with my wife's family, I was able to introduce her to three of my friends, AL U. CARD, B.B. BEEBE and WILEY WOLF. Poor Al, Marilyn was not impressed with his powers at all though she did admire his nerve for fighting crime with what she called "a simple parlor trick". She got along smashingly with B.B. which made me happy as she was isolating herself far too much for my liking. With her friendship with her cousin's wife, WEDNESDAY, despite their dissimilar temperaments and our new neighbor, PRYMAAT from France, she has a widening social circle.

I was quite amused by her disappointment in Wiley despite his fearsome codename though she loved THOR. I received some startling news that he learned from his SHIELD connections about another FRANKENSTEIN MONSTER seen in Europe who got involved with yet another mad scientist and a masked "menace" from New York. I do not believe that this being was the same that Doctor Mannering had encountered in Vasaria, created by Henry Frankenstein at the beginning of the twentieth century. Could it be the first creature of the Frankensteins? Still alive after two hundred years? There have been so many of these beings based of Victor's original research, myself included, it's hard to separate fact from fiction. I must find this lonely being. Perhaps I can help him like I did the American Frankenstein created in 1940. Once he was a murdering fiend but he had his brain repaired and now lives in peace. 

And so my search begins again...

The Missing Mate Affair

N. SOLO reporting. In this special joint organizational operation, I have opted to work alone. The other groups offered to aid me but I already have a partner who's on call. Truth be told, I volunteered for this because of the reputation of Subject #1 and a personal connection. While Subject #1 may look harmless, almost inept, he is a powerful hero who's a war veteran and part of the greatest super-hero team ever. So this will need some care, tact and discretion. He is also descended on his mother's side to the Western hero who shares his name, ironically his real one! This lawman encountered a great-great uncle of mine who was a bounty hunter of sorts before he was killed in Mexico.

Subject #1's appointment with Subject #2 was revealed through the usual sources. Luckily the means of circumventing Subject #2's privacy was already developed. Acting separately JOHN SARGENT, ANTHONY DROOM and FRANKLIN CHANDLER worked on pieces of a special set of gems. Alone they would have failed but their combined efforts now give us the edge we need. Appealing to their jealousy, vanity and patriotism respectively gave us maximum results. It was fairly easy to implant one gem into Subject #1's bowtie while I have the other. While I cannot see anything clearly, I could hear everything perfectly.

Below is the transcribed conversations with my later-added notations:

SUBJECT #1: "Hallo! I got an appointment to see the Doc. My name is..."

Subject #2's manservant: "I know. Please enter and wait here. The master will be see you shortly."

Aside: Still no info on manservant except that he's from Asia, not from the Communist sphere of influence and is here legally despite no paperwork.

Subject #2: "Good afternoon, sir. I trust that you found my home without difficulties."

Subject #1: "Easy-peasy, Doc! Didn't even have to call on my..."

Subject #2: "Yes, about that. My house has certain...protections that will react badly to outside entities so please be careful about which words you use,"

Subject #1: "Gotcha, Doc!"

Subject #2: "Now how can I be of service? I must admit that I'm curious by your call, given your associates."

Subject #1: "Well, I heard of you through my pal, WESLEY DODD. He said that you were a big help when he got into some big trouble! Said you were aces!"

Subject #2: "I'm flattered so I assume that you too are also in 'big trouble'."

Subject #1: "Not the same kind but yeah but it's a little embarrassing. Something I don't want my pals to know even after all this time."

Subject #2: "Speak freely and without fear."

Subject #1: "Well, I guess I should start at the beginning. In 1947, there was a conference of, well, super people in Rome. I went to represent the USA along with my buddy, AL, and a married couple, the BARRS. It wasn't all that special, just a lot of speeches and other boring stuff! On the second day, I was making the rounds when I saw this beautiful blonde! I mean gorgeous, blue eyes, curves, the cat's meow! And she was looking at me! Sometimes I'm too charming for my own good!" 

Subject #2: "Go on. Who was this woman?"

Subject #1: "Ah things went well, really fast until I figured out that she thought I was, well, not me. She thought I was ALAN, y'know! Could you imagine?"

Subject #2: "And you told her that you weren't him..."

Subject #1: "Umm, yeah but it was kinda a little late, But I didn't know that she thought that until the next morning after we...uh..."

Subject #2: "I see. I take it that she was not happy about your honesty."

Subject #1: "Brother, you don't know the half of it!"

The Missing Mate Affair (Part 2)

Subject #1: "So you see, Doc, after me and her, y'know, she starts talking about joining with the magic flame and all that so it hits that she thinks that I'm..."

Subject #2: "The Champion of the Flame. And when you tell her you're not..."

Subject #1: "She has the conniption fit of all conniptions! She starts growing! And her face becomes a skull! Says how dare I deceive FANTOMAH, Mystery of the Jungle, Daughter of the Pharaohs!"

Subject #2: "Fantomah! Are you mad? Do you have any idea who and what she is?"

Subject #1: "I do now! Anyway, she's pretty steamed so I call for help my way but even he's scared of her! Now she's furious, calling him a 'little spark' and me a dead man! Luckily he convinces her not to kill me as that would get my pals after her and even she can't fight them all! This calms her down but she says if she ever sees me again, she'll bury me alive!"

Subject #2: "And did she?"

Subject #1: "Oh yeah about nine months later!"

Subject #2: "By the Vishanti!"

The Missing Mate Affair (Part 3)

aside: That bit of news was a big deal at HQ. The offspring of super-powered parents has an entire division devoted to it, led by DOCTOR SPOCK.

Subject #1: "So there she was, nine months later with a baby boy in her arms, furious as all heck. And it was pointed right at me! She said that this was my fault and that I would have to deal with it. Now I figure that sure I can raise another kid, Peaches would love a kid brother but no. Miss High'N'Mighty tells me that I'm not to get involved with the kid but find someone to adopt him. Now I don't like it one bit but I had little choice in the matter."

Subject #2: "What did you do? Place the child in an orphanage?"

Subject #1: "Nah, I handled it my way! Found a couple in California. Good people who couldn't have a kid. Made them think he was theirs. Better for him and better for them. Now not being there for the kid didn't sit right with me so I posed as an uncle from the East Coast and sent him stuff for his birthday, graduations, that sort of thing. Never saw or anything."

Subject #2: "Then how did you keep track of him?"

Subject #1: "Had a private eye give a report every few months, just to make sure everything was copasetic! Can't be too sure these days! Let's see at first it was a fellow named MARLOWE, then a couple of guys, BAILEY and SPENCER. Funny, me and her are both blonde and the kid had black hair. Must a regretful gene or something."

Subject #2: "So he grew up happy?"

Subject #1: "Right as rain! Oh, he was a bit shy and awkward sometimes. Guess we can't all be suave and charming. Oh, don't get me wrong! He had friends, was a boy scout, loved boats and stuff. Which led to him joining the Navy when he turned eighteen! In one heck of a coincidence, he meets one of old Navy buddies from the war, JONAS GRUMBY so I can talk to him about the kid and no one knows the difference! The two become as thick as thieves, but his stay in the Navy is short. Kid's a bit accident-prone so him and Jonas are discharged but they go to Hawaii and run a tour boat around the islands. Nice work if you can get it!"

Subject #2: "Then what's the problem? Why have you come here?"

Subject #1: "Because he's gone, Doc. He's gone!"

I'm sure Captain Grumby will take good care of his little buddy.

Philip Portelli said:

The Missing Mate Affair (Part 3)

aside: That bit of news was a big deal at HQ. The offspring of super-powered parents has an entire division devoted to it, led by DOCTOR SPOCK.

Subject #1: "So there she was, nine months later with a baby boy in her arms, furious as all heck. And it was pointed right at me! She said that this was my fault and that I would have to deal with it. Now I figure that sure I can raise another kid, Peaches would love a kid brother but no. Miss High'N'Mighty tells me that I'm not to get involved with the kid but find someone to adopt him. Now I don't like it one bit but I had little choice in the matter."

Subject #2: "What did you do? Place the child in an orphanage?"

Subject #1: "Nah, I handled it my way! Found a couple in California. Good people who couldn't have a kid. Made them think he was theirs. Better for him and better for them. Now not being there for the kid didn't sit right with me so I posed as an uncle from the East Coast and sent him stuff for his birthday, graduations, that sort of thing. Never saw or anything."

Subject #2: "Then how did you keep track of him?"

Subject #1: "Had a private eye give a report every few months, just to make sure everything was copasetic! Can't be too sure these days! Let's see at first it was a fellow named MARLOWE, then a couple of guys, BAILEY and SPENCER. Funny, me and her are both blonde and the kid had black hair. Must a regretful gene or something."

Subject #2: "So he grew up happy?"

Subject #1: "Right as rain! Oh, he was a bit shy and awkward sometimes. Guess we can't all be suave and charming. Oh, don't get me wrong! He had friends, was a boy scout, loved boats and stuff. Which led to him joining the Navy when he turned eighteen! In one heck of a coincidence, he meets one of old Navy buddies from the war, JONAS GRUMBY so I can talk to him about the kid and no one knows the difference! The two become as thick as thieves, but his stay in the Navy is short. Kid's a bit accident-prone so him and Jonas are discharged but they go to Hawaii and run a tour boat around the islands. Nice work if you can get it!"

Subject #2: "Then what's the problem? Why have you come here?"

Subject #1: "Because he's gone, Doc. He's gone!"

The Missing Mate Affair (Part 4)

Subject #1: "I had just heard over the radio that the tour boat went missing in a storm. They made a big deal about this millionaire couple that was on board. Later I found out that they went to the same ritzy places as some of my pals. Small world."

aside: The Wealth Pipeline traveled from New York to Gotham to Opal to Harveyville to Duckburg to Beverly Hills. Old money, new money it made no difference. It revolved around the "Bronze Standard" and branches off in varied directions.

Subject #1: "Anyway, I figure enough is enough and I'm about to take care of things...my way but before I can say a word, she pops up at my place!"

Subject #2: "In a furious state again?"

Subject #1: "Nah, that's the funny part. She seemed...tired, almost sad. She tells me not to interfer, that it's beyond both our powers to fix, what is happening has to happen. She goes on like that for a few minutes, getting fainter and fainter then fades!"

Subject #2: "Do you believe her?"

Subject #1: "I guess because before I came here, I get this bruiser in my face! Real tough guy, unshaven, cigar, even an eye patch. Tells me basically the same thing. Says the government knows all about this and I am to do nothing! Can you buy that?"

aside: Great, he's involved! Typically "bull-in-a-china-shop" mentality. No subtlety, no sophistication, no sympathy. Gives secret agents a bad name. And they're promoting him!

Subject #2: "I understand now. What do you want me to do?"

Subject #1: "Doc, all my life, people been telling me what to do, where to go and keeping me from following my gut. My pals don't want me to worry or think on my own sometimes. But this? Should I go with my feelings or do what I'm told? I gotta know!"

Subject #2: "Give me a few minutes as I consult my orb. Please wait here and do or say nothing!"

aside: after about thirty minutes, Subject #2 returns. He sounds exhausted and drained.

Subject #1: "Well, what's the verdict?"

Subject #2: "Forgive me but all signs seem to point to your acquiescence to this situation. The boy is where he is supposed to be. Any attempt to retrieve him will be disastrous. He must remain where he is until his purpose is done. But do not despair. He is in want of nothing and he is with those who truly care for him or will learn to. If you seek comfort, take heed: everything that will ease his plight, his innate honesty, his kindness and empathy, his lucky nature, good and bad, all come from you. You have given him all that makes him special!"

Subject #1: "Will he ever come home?"

Subject #2: "Eventually, I presume and you may one day meet!"

aside: with that Subject #1 left, both saddened and hopeful.

Later I was speaking with my section head about all this. I had commented that it was regrettable that seven civilians were place in that predicament and was shocked when he replied "Six. One of them works for us!"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service