Now that DC has finally decided which “Legion of Three Worlds” it is going to be following for the foreseeable future…

Views: 750

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ADVENTURE COMICS #516: This one left me a bit confused... is it the grown-up Legion interracting with Superboy? If so, why? the cover says "The Early Years" and that's what I want to see (post-IKE). If not, well... there are a whoile lotta problems with that scenario.

THE BRAVE & THE BOLD #35: Absolutely brilliant! Not only was it truly funny, the time paradoxes were flawless!

Rob Staeger said:
Another thought -- how did he get the ring off? Didn't Brainy make it unremovable?

Earth-Man used his GL Power Ring to disable all of Brainy's failsafes in issue #2 (see post above).
Jeff of Earth-J said:
ADVENTURE COMICS #516: This one left me a bit confused... is it the grown-up Legion interracting with Superboy? If so, why? the cover says "The Early Years" and that's what I want to see (post-IKE). If not, well... there are a whoile lotta problems with that scenario.

THE BRAVE & THE BOLD #35: Absolutely brilliant! Not only was it truly funny, the time paradoxes were flawless!

It did cover the early years, just from RJB's perspective. I don't really understand why Superboy was there instead of Superman.

I don't like the retcon about the Durlans. They were a key part of the Invasion! storyline, and one was a founding member of L.E.G.I.O.N. who went on to travel to the future and become RJB! This story removes that whole story, without adding anything.

B&B was really good.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's much better now!

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

Thanks, Jeff.

And yeah, Brave & Bold 35 was a treat! ("That's not an air valve." Ha!)
The Durlan from L.E.G.I.O.N. met a crooked Durlan who became his "cousin" Doyle, had a son with Doyle's sister (Reep Daggle-Chameleon Boy) who was raised by his aunt Ji Daggle (the first sexy Durlan) and caught a disease that froze him in the form of elderly businessman/tycoon R.J. Brande.

The amazing thing is that Brande and Cham's relationship is PRE-Crisis!
It turns out my favorite line in B*B 35 (the air valve bit) was actually a bit of improv after the art have been completed. Jesus Saiz recalls:

Panel 6’s script only described Dumb Bunny, with a line of dialogue, leaning in Blimp’s shoulder. i wasn’t too precise when I drew her arm, and her hand ended being in a weird place. In the published version, a new joke has been added, with Blimp making a comment about “that” not being an air valve.”

There's a whole DVD-style commentary on the book up at SpinqBlog.
I loved the story ... up to the ending. I'm not so sure about the Inferior Five being "trapped in a world they never made." They're just too lighthearted a bunch to exist in the post-Crisis, post-Zero Hour, post-Identity Crisis, post-Final Crisis DC Universe of misery and woe, and part of the beauty of this time-travel saga is that didn't really take them away from their natural setting.

I hope the stewards of DC take good care of them, but after that last Ambush Bug miniseries, I fear for the results.
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it; I sincerely doubt we'll see them again for years.

That said, I like the move from 72 to the present. If we do see them again, the time travel explains why they're so old-fashioned, rather than being what slacker heroes would be like now. (Major Bummer, I guess? But even that's 10 years ago.) And anyway, up until the last few pages of that story, the assumption was that the Inferior Five were already here in the modern DCU; as a matter of storytelling, the time travel element didn't bring them here so much as just establish that they were somewhere else before.

True, the time travel element opens up some fish-out-of-water potential -- which could be done well or horribly wrong. But regardless, there has always the potential for the team to be mishandled, in whatever milieu. The only thing the time travel adds in that respect is a new reason to handle them at all. (Which has its own dangers; in limbo, they're safe.)
I wouldn't mind seeing them again... as long as they're handled as well as they were in B&B #35.Nor would I mind seeing a collection of their original appearances. It strikes me that their move to the present very closely mirrors what happened to Toro over at Marvel.
What happened to Toro over at Marvel?
ClarkKent_DC said:
What happened to Toro over at Marvel?

SPOILERS for Sub-Mariner #14, Avengers/Invaders mini-series, Torch mini-series

Toro was killed in the late Silver Age Sub-Mariner #14 and has remained dead ever since. In the recent Avengers/Invaders mini-series, however, Toro time-travelled to the present and learned of his fate. Even with the help of the Cosmic Cube his death could not be circumvented, without causing a rift in the timeline from Sub-Mariner #14 to the present day. However, he could be made to leap forward in time so that he died "10 years ago" but isn't resurrected until the present day. (That's essentially what happened to the Inferior Five; from their POV, their adventures pick up in the present right where they left off X years ago.) From Avengers/Invaders Toro went on to be featured in his own mini-series discussed on this board here..
Rob Staeger said:
"That's not an air valve."

"...not that I mind."
LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #3:

I expected the "Earth-Man with a Power Ring" sub-plot to play out a little long; instead, it's playing out differently.

I am really looking forward to next issue!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"The penultimate day, so here are four covers"
4 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"Welcome from me, too. On your own posts there is a tiny x on the right side. Click on it and it…"
3 hours ago
The Baron replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"I think so."
7 hours ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 237 The Silver-Age Challenge---the Cape and Cowl Contest
"Thank you, Luis!"
9 hours ago
Luis Olavo de Moura Dantas replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 237 The Silver-Age Challenge---the Cape and Cowl Contest
"Welcome, Irma Kruhl!"
9 hours ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
9 hours ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"This topic has inspired me to dig out my original copy, bought decades ago!  I bought this…"
9 hours ago
Commander Benson replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 237 The Silver-Age Challenge---the Cape and Cowl Contest
"If the Silver Age is your interest, then make a couple of sandwiches and put on a pot of coffee…"
9 hours ago
Irma Kruhl replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 237 The Silver-Age Challenge---the Cape and Cowl Contest
"Thank you! I love Silver Age Marvel and DC so I'm having fun looking around here. "
9 hours ago
Commander Benson replied to Commander Benson's discussion Deck Log Entry # 237 The Silver-Age Challenge---the Cape and Cowl Contest
"Let me chime in with the others . . . Welcome aboard, Irma!"
10 hours ago
"Oh, and I see I forgot the Iron Man question in my earlier response  Here goes. 6) Iron…"
10 hours ago
"Thank you Jeff!"
10 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service