Replies

• LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1: This title (written by Legion veteran Paul Levitz) picks up the tale of the adult Legion as re-introduced and revamped by Geoff Johns in recent issues of Superman and Action Comics. Lots of stuff happens in the first issue, but the cliffhanger is (spoiler), Earth-Man has been forced upon the Legion as a new member, yet he’s also been offered the ring of the Green Lantern of Sector 2814.

ADVENTURE COMICS #12/(515): This title tells the story of the post-IKE Superboy (Clark Kent, not Conner), set years before the events of the LSH’s “current” adventures in Legion of Super-Heroes. With these two titles, Legion fans are given a choice between concurrently released stories set in two different times.

THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD #34: This isn’t a new ongoing series, but rather the first chapter of a two-parter by JMS teaming the LSH with the Doom Patrol. It was released around the same time as the debut of new ongoing series and the new direction of the other, though, so I thought I’d throw it in. I liked the first chapter. To the best of my recollection, these two diverse teams have never before met.
  • Who is Earth-Man?
  • Luke Blanchard said:
    Who is Earth-Man?

A slightly less literate version of Terra-Man?

Probably not, but it would be kinda cool ...
  • Earth-Man is a Legion reject who, in spite, went on to lead the "Earth-First" movement against all non-human races in the LSH. In order to assuage the fears of those sympatetic to his cause, the United Planets has forced his membership on the Legion. Neither the Legion nor Earth-Man is particularly happy with this turn of events, but as I indicated in my spoiler, he hasn't yet accepted and may go another way. The cover of issue number one (if you haven't seen it or the ads for it), depects a fist wearing both Legion and Green Lantern Rings above the caption "Choose!"
  • And let us not forget Earth-Man's name when he originally applied for Legion membership...

Absorbency Boy.

His powers? He could absorb the powers of any other hero... provided he wore clothes that they had worn. He was introduced during Tyroc's second adventure with the Legion, and let me tell you... Shooter definitely did NOT hit a home run on this one.

He got a little tougher when they turned him into Duplicate Boy.

x<]:o){
  • Jeff of Earth-J said:
    Earth-Man is a Legion reject who, in spite, went on to lead the "Earth-First" movement against all non-human races in the LSH. In order to assuage the fears of those sympatetic to his cause, the United Planets has forced his membership on the Legion. Neither the Legion nor Earth-Man is particularly happy with this turn of events, but as I indicated in my spoiler, he hasn't yet accepted and may go another way. The cover of issue number one (if you haven't seen it or the ads for it), depects a fist wearing both Legion and Green Lantern Rings above the caption "Choose!"

The great thing about that cover is that the Legion ring is being worn upside-down. And since Brainy has reengineered Earth Man's flight ring so that he can't take it off, he'll be wearing it upside down FOREVER!
  • I liked the story in the recent Adventure Comics well enough, but I thought Brave & Bold was really a kick -- especially the gag about the fluff.
  • And let us not forget Earth-Man's name when he originally applied for Legion membership... Absorbency Boy.

Yes, and not only does Earth-Man have an established pedigree, so too do all the members of his "Legion of Rejects," the "Justice League of Earth": Spider-Girl, Tusker, Golden Boy, Storm Boy and Radiation Roy.

The great thing about that cover is that the Legion ring is being worn upside-down.

I noticed that, too, but decided it was "artistic license" (perhaps editorially mandated) so the logo would look right-side up on the cover. (You'll notice it is right-side up in the "Next: Eartth-Man's Choice" teaser panel on the last page.) But I don't think he's actually put either ring on yet. In the last story panel, he's holding the Legion flight ring in his hand while the GL power ring hovers in front of him.

I thought Brave & Bold was really a kick -- especially the gag about the fluff.

I didn't get that. (I was expectin it to be explained next issue.) What am I missing?

I did like the way the Time Bubble was explained as the "tip of the quantum iceberg." The Time Bubble is essentially a clear globe with a floor and a control panel. In this issue, Cosmic Boy lifts a trap door in the deck and they descend into "the power source and control systems [which] exist in their own quantum space alongside the bubble, connected by a fourth-dimensional portal."

It is much bigger "below decks" than is apparent from the outside... not unlike another well-known time machine.
  • Oh, I was mostly kidding. The ring on the cover was definitely artistic license -- probably the right call, too. It looks silly on the hand, but makes it a better looking cover.

As for the fluff, it's likely Dumb Bunny's bunny tail, since the Subs and the Inferior Five are teaming up next issue (which I'm sure explains why no one could keep track of the exact whereabouts of the Time Bubble).

And the Tardis-ing of the Time Bubble makes sense, but it'll take some getting used to. I really liked the notion that a bubble and a control panel were enough to pierce the time barrier.
  • I don't know if he had to wear clothes that other heroes wore, but Absorbancy Boy had to be in contact with something they were in contact with. He wore some made-up villain costume that the Legion used to train and/or haze new members called Zoraz or something. The point was to show how tough Tyroc was but since he only appeared three times in the 70s ("SLSH" #216[first appearance] , #218[officially joins] and #222[battles the Legion as a 'menace'] ), the Legion's first Black member became a blip in their history!
This reply was deleted.