For me so far:

Amazing Spider-Man: No.  There's some interesting ideas in here, but not enough to spare some of my limited budgets of comics money/reading time.

Guardians of the Galaxy:  Yes. Just interesting enough to give them a chance.    

The New Avengers: Yes. So far, they seem to be treating Squirrel Girl well.        

Spider-Gwen: Yes. So far, they've maintained the quality from the previous book.      

The Uncanny Avengers:  Maybe. It's mildly interesting, but I really don't like Deadpool.      

How about you?

Views: 1882

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Captain Comics said:

Is it indeed the animated version of the characters?

I'm not sure. I haven't seen any of the animated stuff. It's a lighthearted anthology style book that occurs in a continuity I'm not familiar with so it seems like a good possibility.

Deadpool #1: No. I like Deadpool well enough as a black comedy character (after years of despising him as a casual mass murderer). But not enough to buy his title, and this is more of the same.

Drax #1. No. Boring character, boring motivation. But the issue starts with some Guardians hoo-ha, which is genuinely funny. Unfortunately, they won't be sticking around, and we're back to "strong, angry green guy smashes stuff" by the end. I've pretty much seen all of that premise I care to see.

Extraordinary X-Men #1: Maybe. It's an interesting lineup, although there's no explanation for most of this, since I haven't read Uncanny X-Men #600 yet, or any of the Inhumans stuff about the Terrigen Bomb. I have now joined the ranks of those who don't read every blinkin' Marvel comic every month, so first issues need to provide me with whatever information I need to enjoy the series, and this one doesn't do that. Nice to see some familiar faces, though, instead of a bunch of sixth- or seventh-generation X-people I don't care about.

Hercules: Leaning yes. As was said above, not as funny as you'd perhaps expect it to be, given the character's previous iterations. But the thrust of this series is that Herc has decided to take hero-ing seriously and remind all these newcomers that he was the original superhero, so there go the jokes. It's still wryly amusing, though, and Herc's first adventure in this book against an ancient hoodoo only he would recognize indicates how well this book could work. If there's more of that, I'm game. (Also, Gilgamesh is crashing on Herc's couch, and may need an intervention.)

Howard the Duck #1: No. I just can't get into this character without Gerber's voice in the word balloons. And again, we have a co-star whom we're supposed to know, but I don't, so how about an explanation, Marvel? This being a first issue and all. Also, Aunt May is working for Howard, and that isn't explained.

The Visions #1: Maybe. Not as sappy as the preview would suggest -- in fact, it's got a grim undertone that becomes an overtone by the end. This attempt by Vizh to have a "normal" life is not going to end well.

Nova #1: No. Nova and his dad fight crime, and then return to their suburban home. Everything's just the way Sam wants it. But, of course, all is not as it seems. That's a pretty good hook, but I don't have any interest in or connection to Nova, who remains a cipher to me, so it's not enough. But if you have affection for this character, you'll like this.

The girl traveling with Howard and the Aunt May connection are all explained in his previous series from earlier this year. If you didn't read it--and it sounds like you didn't--it's not going to make a lot of sense. Of course, giving it two number ones within a year doesn't make sense either.

As far as Howard himself goes, I've chosen to accept that this isn't our Howard, but a Howard from another dimension, Still a little gruff, but without the edge. However, his adventures have been fun enough to keep me interested.

Captain Comics said:

Howard the Duck #1: No. I just can't get into this character without Gerber's voice in the word balloons. And again, we have a co-star whom we're supposed to know, but I don't, so how about an explanation, Marvel? This being a first issue and all. Also, Aunt May is working for Howard, and that isn't explained.

I kinda assumed that we'd been introduced to these things in the previous series which, as you'd guessed, I didn't read. But a first issue shouldn't assume that you've read the previous series, which is my complaint. A first issue should tell me everything I need to know to enjoy the book, and potentially the series, and this one doesn't. It fails, in my eyes, at Comics Writing 101, and I therefore see no need to give this title any more of my time.

I wonder if the issue was written and drawn before someone decided to make it yet another #1? That might explain the lack of info.For that matter, every issue is someone's first issue.

Of course, now that they write for the trade collection the art of weaving familiarizing information into a story is lost.

Captain Comics said:

But a first issue shouldn't assume that you've read the previous series,

At this point, they shouldn't even assume that we've read the Secret Wars event that led into all of these books because... well... Secret Wars still hasn't ended.

Agreed.

Captain Comics said:

But a first issue shouldn't assume that you've read the previous series, which is my complaint.

I had the same problem with Angela: Queen of Hel. I knew nothing about her, or her partner, and the issue in hand didn't tell me much about them. They were good enough to let me know Angela hadn't always been Queen of Hel (as a Thor reader, I already knew that), but they didn't tell me what she'd been before, or whether this was a stretch for her, or was in her wheelhouse, or what. Ditto with the partner, whose name I didn't pick up until midway through. It's hard to feel the drama of a story if you don't know what it is.

This week I'm getting

• ALL NEW ALL DIFFERENT AVENGERS. I'm going to assume that this might be the main AVENGERS title but we'll see in six months when they debut another AVENGERS #1. The names are the same but the characters are not. Hopefully this will be a good book, not a good example of diversity for its own sake.
  • ALL NEW HAWKEYE. Far too many #1s for this title but I'm fond of the Avenging Archer!

I bought these today, I'll let you know what I think of them once I've read them:

All-New, All-Different Avengers #1

The Ultimates #1

Web-Warriors #1

That is how I felt when I read Spider-Gwen, so I won't be continuing with that series.

Captain Comics said:

I kinda assumed that we'd been introduced to these things in the previous series which, as you'd guessed, I didn't read. But a first issue shouldn't assume that you've read the previous series, which is my complaint. A first issue should tell me everything I need to know to enjoy the book, and potentially the series, and this one doesn't. It fails, in my eyes, at Comics Writing 101, and I therefore see no need to give this title any more of my time.

The Baron said:

I bought these today, I'll let you know what I think of them once I've read them:

All-New, All-Different Avengers #1

The Ultimates #1

Web-Warriors #1
I've had a chance to look at all three.  I think they rate a look at issue #2.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service