I'm seeing a lot of names I don't recognize here on the new site, and that's wonderful. I'm sure a number of them, perhaps even ALL of them are folks from the old board who have decided to start using their real names, but either way, introduce yourself here and let us know if your a fresh face or if you've simply stepped out of the phone both in your civilian identity!

Views: 141

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess if they wanted info on me they'd get it fairly quick

Don't like making their jobs any easier though!

having said that, someone could know just about everything about me with an afternoon or two on google if they had the starting point of one of my 'handles' on the net
Oh, no -- I know you guys aren't being anonymous so you can troll. And really, I know I wouldn't, either. But somewhere down the line, after getting caught up in one flame war or another on some forgotten board, it occurred to me that the best way to make sure that whenever I opened my mouth, something I could stand behind would come out, is if I decided to stand behind it ahead of time.

Believe me, though -- there are times when I wish my blog wasn't under my own name. Especially now that I'm looking for a job... But I figure if I say something, I oughta own it.
I decided to use my real name early on, too. Mainly because I also create and perform music, and have published lots of criticism under that name. I want people to be able to find me...at least most of the time.
I'm sticking to my code name for the board. I don't really care who knows my identity behind the scenes, but my name has a high Google-ability of leading directly to me. I like having some degree of privacy.
ClarkKent_DC said:
On the old old board, I used my real name until I noticed that everyone else was using a "code name," so I made up one and haven't wanted to stop using it. I still don't. I like having a "secret ID."

Curiously, my feelings went in the other direction. When I first entered the cyber-world, I tried a clever sobriquet for a brief time, but it just didn't sit well with me. There were some concrete reasons for that, but the overriding one was that I didn't like hiding behind a screen name. I know it's just a screen name and doesn't really mean anything, but I saw no point in being uncomfortable. I imagine if I ever became a super-hero, I would still go by "Commander Benson".

I'm not criticising the reasons that those of you who use screen names have for using them. They're all valid. All I'm saying is that it wasn't for me.
I know I've mentioned it before (and definitely on my blog). I use my real name here in case I torch someone's book, I want to attach my name to it. A couple of creators have even contacted me. On other forums I am on I do use a handle.

The side benefit to using my real name is that old friends of mine I haven't seen years have found me, and we have reconnected.
the_original_b_dog said:
I'm sticking to my code name for the board. I don't really care who knows my identity behind the scenes, but my name has a high Google-ability of leading directly to me. I like having some degree of privacy.

You could have taken the underscores out, y'know. :)
Lumbering Jack said:
the_original_b_dog said:

You could have taken the underscores out, y'know. :)

What!?! But ... but ... the tradition!!
Well, I was Mark Pennington on the old board, and I added my middle name - for some reason that escapes me now - when I registered for this one.

Good to be "back" even if the layout is a bit confusing
Mark Russell Pennington said:
Well, I was Mark Pennington on the old board, and I added my middle name - for some reason that escapes me now - when I registered for this one.

Good to be "back" even if the layout is a bit confusing

And we're glad to have you back, Mark!
I used to be known as "Jupiter". You know, the gas giant.
JeffCarter said:
I used to be known as "Jupiter". You know, the gas giant.

Must....resist...making...tasteless...joke...!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service