New reading project

So, I was re-reading some of the old reading project threads I'd done int he past, and it made me want to tackle something new. However, I think this time around I'd like some input from people here on what they'd like to see.

Here are some of the options I've considered:

Lee/Kirby Thor -Most of the comics should be pretty good here, I would include the Tales of Asgard stories as well.

Human Torch solo stories from Strange Tales, including the team-ups with the Thing. Not the best in terms of stories, but this doesn't get much focus.

Lee/Ditko Amazing Spider-Man - No questioning the quality here, but I'd sort of like to focus on something less popular.

Silver Age Incredible Hulk - I think this would be interesting to watch the evolution of the Hulk, the problem here would be finding a good stopping point.

I think there should be some post-Silver Age options as well, so I'll also include:

Walt Simonson's Thor - Ambitious but doable.

John Byrne's Fantastic Four - A good choice as some major changes were made to the FF's mythos.

So (assuming there's interest) what I'd like for people to do is take these six options and rank them in terms of interest. That will give me an idea of what discussion would be most interesting for everyone,

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I own a good number of issues of both the Lee/Kirby Thor and the Lee/Ditko Spider-Man, for purposes of reading along, I'd vote for either of those two.

• Here are my thoughts...

LEE/KIRBY THOR; I think Thor really gets good with Journey into Mystery #114. As much as I love the "Tales of Asgard" series, I find it distracting to jump back and forth with the main feature. Whenever I'm in themood to read Lee/Kirby Thor, I choose one or the other. I've read #114 and up recent;y (whenever i say "recently" in this post I'm referring to the last 10-15 years), but I don't think I've ever read #83-113 as a single project. That's not to say I wouldn't be interested in reading Lee/Kirby Thor again. Absorning Man, bHercules, High Evolutionary (then later, Galactus)... that's all prime stuff.

HUMAN TORCH: I'm less interested in these, but then again I've never read them all as a single project and have long meant to. (Marvel gets good for me circa 1966.)

LEE/DITKO SPIDER-MAN: It has been less than "recently" since I last read this run (maybe five years ago). The last time I did I thought it might be the last time I would... at least for a while (a "while" being 10-15 years). I'm more interested in the Lee/Romita era, but I read that following the Ditko stuff.

SILVER AGE HULK: Now this interests me. I have often remarked that Hulk was my "first favorite character,"  yet I do not remember the last time I read Tales to Astonish as a project, but I know it's been more than 20 years. (There's your stopping point BTW: Hulk #102.)

SIMONSON'S THOR / BYRNE'S FANTASTIC FOUR: The last time I did an extensive Thor/FF Masterworks read-through, I stopped with the first post-Kirby volume. It has long been my intention to read the "between" issues of each series, culminating with the Byrne/Simonson runs. (Same with with Michelinie/Layton Iron Man, but I've been waiting for the next MMW to get a "running start" at it.) I could be convinced to "skip ahead" in either of these cases, though. 

Back around the time I first joined this board, someone (I don't remember who) was leading a discussion of John Byrne's Fantastic Four. We had big discussions back in those days, with dozens of participants but, because I had (at the time) recently re-read that run... I chose not to participate! (I've been kicking myself ever since.) I haven't made any moves toward reading those "between issues, though, so maybe here's my chance to redeem myself.

But you asked that we rank them. (Wow, this is difficult.) Put me down for:

1. Silver Age Hulk 

2. Walt Simonson's Thor

3. John Byrne's Fantastic Four

4. Lee/Kirby Thor

5. Human Torch solo stories

6. Lee/Ditko Spider-Man

Of course, I'll follow along however the vote goes and whichever series you choose. I would like to offer one bit of... oh, all it "pre-feedback" I have oftentimes felt your treatment of such projects includes too much plot summary. I'm here for the discussion and, having read the issues in question, tend to skim over the plot summaries. Maybe that's just me, but I know summaries are time-consuming and I thought paring down the summaries might save you some time. Just a suggestion.

• Let's see ... 

I never had any interest in Thor (the character) or Thor (the title) until the Walt Simonson run, so the Lee/Kirby run goes right to the bottom of the list and Simonson near the top.

Lee/Ditko Spider-Man? Before my time, and not as special to me as they evidently are to people who read them when they were new. (John Romita tops my list for best Spider-Man artist any day.)

Human Torch solo stories? I've read only a few -- how many were there, anyway? -- so I'm slightly intrigued at how that discussion might go. 

John Bryne's Fantastic Four? I did read all of those when they were new, but haven't re-read most of them since. 

That leaves the Silver Age Hulk. I did read all of those fairly recently because I acquired a copy of the Marvel Essentials tome Essential Incredible Hulk, Vol. 1, and swiftly disposed of it once I finished it. 

So, to put my list in order of interest, both in terms of nostalgia and what I might learn from the conversation:

1. Walt Simonson's Thor

2. Silver Age Hulk 

3. Human Torch solo stories

4. John Byrne's Fantastic Four

5. Lee/Ditko Spider-Man

6. Lee/Kirby Thor

• The solo Human Torch stories (later in the run teamed with the Thing) ran from Strange Tales #101 to #134, so there were exactly 34 half-book stories.

John Dunbar was hosting the thread "John Dunbar re-reads AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (AF 15, ASM 1-50)," which so far covered up to ASM 16 and Annual #1. Last updated in April, 2020.

John Dunbar was also hosting the thread "John Dunbar re-reads Thor (Journey Into Mystery 83 and up)," which so far covered (Thor and Tales of Asgard) through #141 and Thor Special #2. Last updated in August, 2018.

• I have no desire to tread on someone else's active projects, do I would defer to John if that's his preference. 

Richard Willis said:

The solo Human Torch stories (later in the run teamed with the Thing) ran from Strange Tales #101 to #134, so there were exactly 34 half-book stories.

John Dunbar was hosting the thread "John Dunbar re-reads AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (AF 15, ASM 1-50)," which so far covered up to ASM 16 and Annual #1. Last updated in April, 2020.

John Dunbar was also hosting the thread "John Dunbar re-reads Thor (Journey Into Mystery 83 and up)," which so far covered (Thor and Tales of Asgard) through #141 and Thor Special #2. Last updated in August, 2018.

• After some consideration I think I'm going to go with Simonson's Thor. There seems to be some interest, plus it's not copying any existing threads. I'll probably start that thread within the next few days. 

Regarding the synopses, I've always been a quick reader--frequently too quick, especially when it comes to comics. I sometimes have a tendency to miss things because I read too fast. Writing out the synopses forces MD to slow down so I can see everything. It also helps me organize my thoughts so I can talk more about the things I like or dislike in the comic. If people choose not to read them that's fine, but I'm going to continue to write them. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Of course, I'll follow along however the vote goes and whichever series you choose. I would like to offer one bit of... oh, all it "pre-feedback" I have oftentimes felt your treatment of such projects includes too much plot summary. I'm here for the discussion and, having read the issues in question, tend to skim over the plot summaries. Maybe that's just me, but I know summaries are time-consuming and I thought paring down the summaries might save you some time. Just a suggestion.

• I'm in, Randy, and I'm looking forward to it.

I hope you didn't take any offence at what i said. I hate writing summaries, myself, and was just thinking about  possibly saving you some time.If doing so helps you focus, though, more power to ya.

This reply was deleted.