I meant to post this earlier but Night of the Lepus is on TCM tonight (4/15) at 11:30 PM EST.

This is one of those movies that I always heard about but never seen.

Of course, part of me wanting to see this is that DeForest Kelley is in it. As a kid, I was usually keen on seeing Star Trek actors in other shows!

Views: 1814

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is a great lineup. Especially if (like me) you're a fan of movies from the "30s.
...When I wrote about Night Of The LEPUS being on ME-TV last week, I thought of writing it in this line but I did not - Perhaps I should've?

Tonight on TCM at a strange time, 10:00 PM, is Tarzan's Peril (1951), a rare showing of one starring Lex Barker.

Also there is Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Dreams (1973) at 2:45 AM and Lone Wolf and Cub: White Heaven in Hell (1973) at 4:30 AM.

Starting this Saturday morning (5/15), TCM will be running the 1943 Batman movie serial again. See the amazing set design of the Bat-Cave, the state of the arts special effects and amazing costume design!

I almost posted this, then saw you had. It airs at 9:30 AM Eastern Time. 

Where I live it will be at 6:30 AM. Thank goodness for my DVR.

I recently learned the hard way that sometimes TCM starts programs late, which causes the recording to cut off too soon. Where possible I pad 15 minutes on the ending time.

Anyone who hasn't seen (or wants to see it again) the original Manchurian Candidate (1962) should know that TCM is running it tomorrow (5/15) at 2:45 PM Eastern Time.

And they do skip weeks when running a serial so it takes longer than you would think.

Richard Willis said:

I almost posted this, then saw you had. It airs at 9:30 AM Eastern Time. 

Where I live it will be at 6:30 AM. Thank goodness for my DVR.

I recently learned the hard way that sometimes TCM starts programs late, which causes the recording to cut off too soon. Where possible I pad 15 minutes on the ending time.

I actually own a copy of this one, but I haven't watched it in years.  Watching the first chapter this afternoon, I was unpleasantly reminded that it is very much a thing of its time (WWII).  In particular, there's a line by the narrator (which I won't repeat) that ... ummm ... Hasn't. Aged. Well.

I've started recording the Batman serial. I think I've seen clips before but never watched it. Since the antagonists are Japanese saboteurs in a 1943 feature, I kinda know what to expect. After I watch an episode or two I'll decide if I can handle it.

Doctor Hmmm? said:

I actually own a copy of this one, but I haven't watched it in years.  Watching the first chapter this afternoon, I was unpleasantly reminded that it is very much a thing of its time (WWII).  In particular, there's a line by the narrator (which I won't repeat) that ... ummm ... Hasn't. Aged. Well.

There are all kinds of reasons to watch it. I'm absolutely going to watch it again. Just know what you're getting into and gird your loins.

Tonight (22 MAY 2021) TCM will be showing the 1964 movie The Brass Bottle, which served as the definite inspiration for TV's I Dream of Jeannie. Burl Ives plays a less-attractive genie in this comedy starring Tony Randall and (yes!) Barbara Eden as boyfriend and girlfriend. I haven't seen it before but reviews are very positive.

It's on tonight at 10:00 PM Eastern Time, 7:00 PM Pacific Time.

Philip Portelli said:

Starting this Saturday morning (5/15), TCM will be running the 1943 Batman movie serial again. See the amazing set design of the Bat-Cave, the state of the arts special effects and amazing costume design!

I just came across this, so I missed the broadcast of the first chapter.  I've actually seen the entire serial.  I have a VHS tape of it (which tells you how long ago I watched it).

I have to say, in my opinion, Lewis Wilson, whose acting career was surprisingly negligible, fit my image of Bruce Wayne better than any other actor to essay the rôle.  I was disappointed, though, after finding out that the tape had been edited for political correctness.  And I'm guessing the same will be true for TCM's broadcast of it.

Not that I'm in favour of the slurs or bias that was part and parcel of the film made in that time.  But I'm a purist; I want to see a work as it was made and presented to the audience at the time.  Not one that has dialogue or scenes exorcised from it, for any reason, be it time constraints or social sensitivities.  That's why I hate television re-runs of sitcoms that have their epilogues redacted for time constraints.  You aren't getting the entire work.

As for the series itself, I won't have to point out the inconsistencies and inaccuracies, both within and without the fictional conceit of the story.  But it's made with such enthusiasm that it's still fun to watch.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service