Ning 3.0 Migration

Recently I filled out a survey for Ning. Not something I normally do, but I kept getting the prompt every time I went to the site, and it was so annoying I filled the darn thing out.

This coincided with some problems on the site. Some of you noticed this, as I did. I complained multiple times, and while I never got a response, the problem was eventually resolved.

But a response about the survey told me what I had already feared was the case.I think we have to migrate to the new version of Ning.

We are currently on Ning 2.0. The host launched 3.0 a couple-three years ago. The host really wants us to migrate to 3.0, and there's a prompt every time I log on to begin the process. I have been reluctant to do so, fearing disruption, loss of data, etc. Ning assures me that this will not be the case. Since none of Ning's previous assurances have come to fruition, I am understandably a bit skeptical.

However, the response to the survey said, essentially, that 2.0 is outmoded. And while they didn't explicitly say so, I got the impression 2.0 will get much less technical support going forward.

So I think it's time to bite the bullet and migrate. And I wanted to give you guys a heads up.

I also wanted to see if y'all had any preference on when this happens. I don't know what's involved, but I assume I can do it in an evening or two. And I'm guessing the best time to do so would be on a weekend -- maybe a late Friday night, so I can tinker with any problems over the weekend and be fresh for Monday.

But that's a guess on my part. What do y'all prefer?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It sounds like a necessary evil. Since activity always seems to go down on Friday evenings and over the weekend, your suggestion of starting it Friday evening gets my vote.

• The on-line software packages my company uses usually update over long weekends (Labor day...) to allow for most people being offline and the extra day to trouble shoot. I recommend to upgrade as the main program I use doesn't have support and it is a royal pain to try an get anything changes or questions answered.

• Whatever works best for you, Skipper.

• Sounds like a good plan, Cap.

• Waiting two more weeks for Labor Day weekend is probably better. 

David Warren said:

The on-line software packages my company uses usually update over long weekends (Labor day...) to allow for most people being offline and the extra day to trouble shoot. I recommend to upgrade as the main program I use doesn't have support and it is a royal pain to try an get anything changes or questions answered.

• If it's been two years since the update was first made available  chances are that the migration bugs have been found and fixed and the process smoothed out. However , I don't know much about Ning and the way they handle things, so I may be making a poor assumption.

• Labor Day weekend sounds good to me.

I, too, hope there is no loss of data (if, for no other reason than I hate to think about Bob reviewing all of Doctor Who for a third time). 

My hopes for 3.0 are 1) a better search function, and 2) an edit window longer than 15 minutes.

• I think Bob would let it go at that point.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I hate to think about Bob reviewing all of Doctor Who for a third time). 

• "I think Bob would let it go at that point."

Well, you'd be the one to know.

• Jeff, on the other hand, is gonna have to rewatch all of Dark Shadows.
This reply was deleted.