Recently I filled out a survey for Ning. Not something I normally do, but I kept getting the prompt every time I went to the site, and it was so annoying I filled the darn thing out.

This coincided with some problems on the site. Some of you noticed this, as I did. I complained multiple times, and while I never got a response, the problem was eventually resolved.

But a response about the survey told me what I had already feared was the case.I think we have to migrate to the new version of Ning.

We are currently on Ning 2.0. The host launched 3.0 a couple-three years ago. The host really wants us to migrate to 3.0, and there's a prompt every time I log on to begin the process. I have been reluctant to do so, fearing disruption, loss of data, etc. Ning assures me that this will not be the case. Since none of Ning's previous assurances have come to fruition, I am understandably a bit skeptical.

However, the response to the survey said, essentially, that 2.0 is outmoded. And while they didn't explicitly say so, I got the impression 2.0 will get much less technical support going forward.

So I think it's time to bite the bullet and migrate. And I wanted to give you guys a heads up.

I also wanted to see if y'all had any preference on when this happens. I don't know what's involved, but I assume I can do it in an evening or two. And I'm guessing the best time to do so would be on a weekend -- maybe a late Friday night, so I can tinker with any problems over the weekend and be fresh for Monday.

But that's a guess on my part. What do y'all prefer?

Views: 220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is probably better to do this right now anyway.  The more recent version is indeed likely to be much better supported, and choosing the time of upgrade instead of waiting until something happens to make that necessary is probably wise.

Captain,

Good luck.  Maybe it’ll address some of the issues that crop up from time to time when I try to post from my iPad.  Usually, no problems from a PC.

UPDATE!

So, I couldn't get it done over the last weekend. Ning is setting up a 3.0 site and will get back to me. But there's more news than that, none of it good.

The 3.0 site is going to cost me close to $600/year. That's with 50% off! Ning says that even if I stayed with 2.0 it would cost something similar, because our site is so big (55GB). They hadn't been charging me that much all along, they said, because their size filter wasn't working. Now it is.

I am now having trouble loading art of more than around 300 KB. I'm assuming this has to do with the size filter. Most art comes in bigger than that, so most art will have to be re-sized before going up. I think that means the end of "This Week in Comics," as it will be enormously time-consuming if I have to re-size every cover and preview page.

I'm sure there's more to come. Stay tuned.

"But there's more news than that, none of it good."

2020 just keeps getting better and better. 

I was pondering ways to reduce our storage, and one quick one occurred to me: deleting old videos. Most of them become dated very quickly, and most of them are available on YouTube anyway. Any objections to deleting the oldest 80% or so? I want to see what that does to our storage numbers.

No objection from me.

Captain Comics said:

I am now having trouble loading art of more than around 300 KB. I'm assuming this has to do with the size filter. Most art comes in bigger than that, so most art will have to be re-sized before going up. I think that means the end of "This Week in Comics," as it will be enormously time-consuming if I have to re-size every cover and preview page.

Any way you can get low-res versions of the art for "This Week in Comics" going forward?

And I take this note as a suggestion for the rest of us to post lo-res versions of art -- 75 to 125 KB -- when we do.

Deleting videos that are not very recent is likely to be decisive, but for those interested it is fairly easy to process images to make them smaller in file size (within reasonable constraints), including in batch mode.

I would recommend googling for "riot compression" for some specifics.

I would be in favor of deleting the oldest 80% of videos. It's unlikely that they would be of much interest. If anyone really wants to look at the older ones, most or all are probably available on YouTube.

Obtaining or editing to create low-res images is probably too much of a burden for Cap. The covers we post (at least the ones from GCD that I tend to use) are low in kilobytes. I will be watching the size of images and, for my part, I have an easy-to-use program to make images smaller or reduce color depth. Usually the change isn't noticeable to the naked eye.

At the risk of jinxing us, I didn't have have trouble posting images today.

I just saw this discussion, and I agree with what seems to be the consensus. Migrating over Labor Day weekend sounds like a good time to me. And I've no objection to deleting older videos. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service