In book-length collections , what stuff gets included ~ and what gets LEFT OUT ?????????

How about censorings/expurgation , whether for legal or changing tastes , eh ?????????

Some collections (as I'll call all book-length collections here , though I suppose give them their official titles when we get specific) have all paid advertisments , and house ads as well ~ Some don't .

Legal: That famed panel where Doctor Octopus refers to Spider-Man as " Superman " - preserved in any book ?

Those couple of panel-only?? references in the Essential JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY/THOR collection that refer to the character later seen as " Jane Foster " by her (I'm forgetting it now , obviously .) earlier name were NOT changed in the first edition - and were changed in a later printing/edition with a copyright page notation reflecting this .

Changing tastes: It was noted here that a DC Chronicles?? of Wonder Woman somewhat changed the depiction and language of an African-American passenger train employee from the original .

Letters columns: Perhaps the main thing here . What do DC's Archives do , f'rixample ?

I have always been a little bit behind being very involved with HERBIE , but I am told that the letter-coulumns , which were answered , IN-CHARACTER , " by " Herbie , ARE LEFT OUT OF THE DARK HORSE BOOKS !!!!!!!!!!! (Mid-60s WONDER WOMAN letcols did some of that as well , didn't they ? But withh WW doing some turning over the reins to " her " editor RK ~ No ???????)

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• ...Left-out stories , even " mainstream " stuff...Apparently , a couple of SHOWCASE issues' stories - Only of Doctor 13 ? Like that's supposed to make it alright ? - are left out of the THE PHANTOM STRANGER SP Vol. 1 .

• During the Mike Sekowsky run on WONDER WOMAN, he often gave teaser pages at the end which would introduce the next upcoming issue. Those bits were left out in the TPB collections--even though those were some of the best bits.

SPs of JUSTICE LEAGUE and SHAZAM! have been altered to remove non DC characters.

Johnny Peril (among other back-up features) was left ouf of the ALL-STAR COMICS ARCHIVES.

Generally speaking, all of the SPs for DC's mystery titles keep the reprints (with the exception of the aforementioned PHANTOM STRANGER) but the SPs for the DC super-hero titles do not.

The earlier issues of GHOSTS had text pages about real ghost stories, which were left out of the SP.

They've also left out other extra features in various books. I think a lot of the Flash Facts have been left out of the FLASH ARCHIVES.

• ...Thank you . Let's continue on this one , please !

Just for two: What about that GHOSTS (IIRC) " What Will Happen To The U.S. President Elected In 1980 ? " one which I believe I've ranted here about before ???

I discussed the first SP (Only??) of THE WITCHING HOUR here , it includes some?? of the non-letters text page stories , no letcols .

I have formed the impression that the EXPENSIVE! CREEPY/EERIE/VAMPIRELLA Archives are absolutely complete , cover-to-cover reprints of issue...the batter to ring upon aging Boomers' nostalgia chords with those " Siiggh ! Remember THAT one ? I always wanted..." Captain Company ads ? And the letters ? Fan art-story pages ? I presume , of course , that the from-the-corresponing-comtitle reprints IN Creepy of Eerie material and Eerie from Creepy material...Before my time on the titles...are left in - ??

• Jimmm Kelly said:

SPs of JUSTICE LEAGUE and SHAZAM! have been altered to remove non DC characters.

I'm curious about who those characters were, and why they were there in the first place.

Johnny Peril (among other back-up features) was left ouf of the ALL-STAR COMICS ARCHIVES.

It sounds like ALL-STAR COMICS ARCHIVES should have been called JUSTICE SOCIETY ARCHIVES.

They've also left out other extra features in various books. I think a lot of the Flash Facts have been left out of the FLASH ARCHIVES.

I have all of the Silver Age FLASH ARCHIVES and IIRC none of the featurettes were included.

• I had to check my SHOWCASES to get the details right.

In the SHAZAM! volume, they omit all the reprint material (which is consistent with other super-hero volumes, but in hindsight I think it would've been a good idea to include all the reprints as it would have extended the SHOWCASES over more volumes--and the reprints are as good as any of the new material).

So they omit reprints for the 100 pagers, but there was also a period when SHAZAM! was doing poorly and circling the drain (on a quarterly schedule) when they filled the regular size books with reprints. The SPs just show the covers for those. The last of these was 24, this was followed by 25 (October '76) which had all new material. The cover featured Isis, but that cover isn't in the SP and the featured story isn't in there either--just the back-up story for that issue.

For JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 103 (December '72), which was a Hallowe'en issue featuring the Phantom Stranger, taking place at the annual Hallowe'en parade in Rutland, VT (hosted by super-fan Tom Fagan)--that story is reprinted in both the SP for the JUSTICE LEAGUE (Vol. 5) and for PHANTOM STRANGER (Vol. 2). In the original story, parade-goers dressed up like Captain America, Spider-Man and Thor are possessed and battle the JLAers. But in both of the SP reprint volumes, identifying markings are removed from the costumes.

• Jimmm Kelly said:

In the SHAZAM! volume, they omit all the reprint material (which is consistent with other super-hero volumes, but in hindsight I think it would've been a good idea to include all the reprints as it would have extended the SHOWCASES over more volumes--and the reprints are as good as any of the new material).

I guess I misinterpreted your comment to mean that characters were omitted from within actual stories. I've never been clear as to whether DC owns all of the Fawcett characters or just the Marvel Family.

For JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA 103 (December '72), which was a Hallowe'en issue featuring the Phantom Stranger, taking place at the annual Hallowe'en parade in Rutland, VT (hosted by super-fan Tom Fagan)--that story is reprinted in both the SP for the JUSTICE LEAGUE (Vol. 5) and for PHANTOM STRANGER (Vol. 2). In the original story, parade-goers dressed up like Captain America, Spider-Man and Thor are possessed and battle the JLAers. But in both of the SP reprint volumes, identifying markings are removed from the costumes.

I know I read the Rutland/Tom Fagan stories that both companies did for a year of two, but had forgotten (40 years!) the use of the Marvel character costumes in JLA. I seem to recall that Marvel used costumes that suggested DC characters but weren't precise enough to bother the lawyers.

• In my initial post I was thinking that some characters had been blacked out in the SHAZAM! and JUSTICE LEAGUE SPs, but when I checked I realized that wasn't the case. I think i have run across books where characters have been blacked out, but I don't know what books those would be off the top of my head.

I wonder what would happen if DC ever reprinted INFERIOR FIVE--would their lawyers get out the white-out?

I woulda thought the parody rulle protected DC in the case of JLA 103--it probably does, but they were just being overly cautious. 

And it seems like they should've found a way to include Isis in the SHAZAM! SP.

• Richard Willis said

I guess I misinterpreted your comment to mean that characters were omitted from within actual stories. I've never been clear as to whether DC owns all of the Fawcett characters or just the Marvel Family.

DC owns, I guess you could say, a lot of them. The Marvel Family of course. I also know they have Bulletman and Bulletgirl, as well as Ibis. Yet, Dark Horse is putting out a Captain Midnight series.

• Captain Midnight was originally a radio hero; he appeared in comics from Dell before Fawcett's, and also in a newspaper strip during the war. Fawcett must've licensed him.

• ...I guess the SAT-AM Isis was Filmation's property , pre-N52 , IIRC , I commented thatDC already HAD an " Isis " themselves and I think at least one other company had one...Now , with Lou Scheimer's recent demise...

This reply was deleted.