I've saved the original thread, and I'll transfer the posts across as time permits.

Painting of the Day (original series):

Winter by Nicolas Poussin, a French painter of the 17th century who worked for most of his career in Rome.

This is one of his series The Four Seasons, painted near the end of his life. Each depicts a Biblical scene. In this case the subject is Noah's flood. You can see the Ark in the background on the left.

Views: 4123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think in Wikipedia's large version of the image the face looks like that of a suffering man. I don't know that paintings of this period had titles in our modern sense, by I made a mistake in pulling The Death of St Sebastian from memory. That was a spoof artwork referred to in Stephen Pile's The Book of Heroic Failures, consisting of "a skeleton with a darts board behind it". According to the legend of Sebastian the saint survived the attemped execution.
Painting of the Day: The Birth of Venus, by Sandro Botticelli.

c. 1482–1486. Wikipedia has a page on the work here.
Painting of the Day: Primavera (=Spring), by Sandro Botticelli.

c. 1482. Wikipedia has a page on the work here.
Huh. I recognized the title, but I don't think I've ever seen this one.

Luke Blanchard said:
Painting of the Day: Primavera (=Spring), by Sandro Botticelli.

c. 1482. Wikipedia has a page on the work here.
That makes me glad I posted it. It's a very well-known work.

Painting of the Day: Madonna of the Magnificat, by Sandro Botticelli.

The Magnificat is Mary's song of thanksgiving from Luke 1:46-55. (The text begins with magnificat, "magnifies", in Latin). Mary is here depicted writing it down, hence the title. Wikipedia has a page on the painting that identifies the figures here.
Painting of the Day: The Mystic Nativity, by Sandro Botticelli.

From 1500. Wikipedia has a page on the work here. It's held by the National Gallery, London, which has a page on it here.
Painting of the Day: The Calumny of Apelles, by Sandro Botticelli.

Wikipedia has a page on the work here, which explains that it's a recreation of a lost work by Apelles, a Greek painter of the 4th century BC, as described by the Roman-era writer Lucian.
Painting of the Day: St. Philip Driving the Dragon from the Temple of Hieropolis, by Filippino Lippi.

Filippino was the son of Filippo Lippi. The site I've linked to also has details from the painting, here. A shot of the work from a different angle can be seen here.
The last three all have beautiful architectural details in them. They almost draw my eye away from the foreground.
Thanks for filling in again. I've not heard of Borsos before, but that's a nice portrait. How'd you come across it, Baron?

A Wikipedia link led me to a gallery of more of his works here.
Painting of the Day: Leda and the Swan, copy by Cesare da Cesto after a lost work by Leonardo da Vinci.

I've moved into the High Renaissance now, of course.

This isn't my favourite subject, to say the least, but I thought the item might be of interest as a record of a lost work by Leonardo. This page has a list of other surviving works that provide guidance to the appearance of Leonardo's painting. Leda appears nude, so the image could be held not worksafe.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion Conan license yanked from Marvel Comics
"Didn't they just put Conan on an Avengers team?  Bet they feel like suckers now."
17 minutes ago
Captain Comics replied to John Dunbar's discussion Marvel and DC Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections
"I don't doubt you're right, Jeff. There's a LOT of delay these days. I've got a…"
41 minutes ago
Captain Comics posted discussions
54 minutes ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Superman's Crime of the Ages, WF #183, March 1969."
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to John Dunbar's discussion Marvel and DC Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections
"The Phantom Stranger Omnibus was originally solicited for May 24 release, so we may…"
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Captain Comics's discussion Marvel Comics in August 2022
""AMAZING FANTASY #1000"? Sh-yeah, right. Prior to its recent cancellation, Amazing…"
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Great minds think alike."
2 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to John Dunbar's discussion Marvel and DC Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections
"Good news, everybody! Over in the just-posted DC Comics for August 2022, there are listings…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"You should!"
7 hours ago
Randy Jackson replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"I should really dig out my Swamp Thing trades and follow along. "
8 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod's discussion Anything, Everything, or Nothing At All
"Next week is Pollinator Awareness Week! Bee aware of the role our pollinating friends play in…"
8 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #32: Despite the cover, this issue is a seriocomic and not-so-thinly-disguised tribute to…"
9 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service