Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 6375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All five of the Rebirth issues worked for me this week, especially Wonder Woman, which took all of her conflicting origins and made it the story -- by saying Dr. Manhattan was reponsible, instead of Robert Kanigher!

The book I was most looking forward to this week was Titans Rebirth, because I wanted to see where Wally's story was going next. And while that was a fun issue, it didn't go anywhere unexpected. 

But the book I've read so far that I've really enjoyed was the done in one Justice League 51 -- a done-in-one flashback issue showing Dick Grayson's first meeting with the JLA. It's a lot of fun. It retroactively sets up Titans Hunt, but overall, it's just a great story on its own. By Dan Abnett and the always-wonderful Paul Pelletier. 

Astro City #36

Lazarus 22. Wish this would come out more frequently.

I'm looking forward to both of them. They're on my pull list, so I couldn't pick them up at the shop near my work today; they'll have to wait till Saturday.

Lazarus should be coming out more often for a while. They took a big hiatus to get back on schedule.

Although I'm not going to have the opportunity to read ay of this week's purchases until next week, I think I'm going to go with The Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade.

Just based on anticipation, I'm going to say Green Arrow #1. After the surprisingly awesome Rebirth issue, I can't wait to read this one.

By the way, the official "Rebirth" issues look really confusing being on the shelf right next to the #1 issues because they both have "Rebirth" plastered across the top. It's hard to tell which is which, because you don't know if it's just a variant cover of something you've already read. I had to flip through this one and read a couple pages just to make sure this was the first issue, and not the Rebirth special.

The trick is the Rebirth issues have the word after the title (Aquaman: Rebirth) while the first issues have the word Rebirth so that it reads "Rebirth Aquaman," although "Rebirth" isn't part of the official title.

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

.By the way, the official "Rebirth" issues look really confusing being on the shelf right next to the #1 issues because they both have "Rebirth" plastered across the top.

Gotcha. That probably should have dawned on me, but I'm a little slow! :)

Not at all -- it's pretty subtle trade dress that wasn't thought through very well. I can think of a half dozen established practices they could have used to avoid the problem altogether.

But to tell you the truth, if that's the worst thing about Rebirth, I'll be a happy camper!

Indeed. I'm so pumped. I am looking so forward to seeing the Dibneys again. I am looking forward to seeing Blue Beetles again--together for the first time. I'm so happy that we have Green Arrow and Black Canary together again.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Ted Kord Blue Beetle/Booster Gold meet-up. To Wally West and the Titans. To seeing all of those "classic" DC characters mixing in with the New 52 characters. I can't wait to see the Young Animal line: Doom Patrol, Shade the Changing Girl, Mother Panic, and Cave Carson Has a Cybernetic Eye.

We have Perry White and the Daily Planet back. We have Cassie Cain back. Barry Allen seems to have a personality for the first time (sorry--opinion!).

Unless things have changed, Milestone is coming back.

I have high hopes that they will bring back the Wildcats (let them be a part of the freakin' DCU already! You've owned them for sixteen flippin' years!), Mr. Majestic, and Gen 13!

I really hope the dark years of raping Sue Dibney and putting a bullet through Blue Beetle's breain are behind us.

Captain Comics said:

But to tell you the truth, if that's the worst thing about Rebirth, I'll be a happy camper!

For June 29: Captain America: Steve Rogers #2. ('Nuff said.)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service