Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 6374

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No kidding. I'm doing reviews now, and won't have time to read everything I want to. There's just so much good stuff out these days!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

There is so much good stuff coming out this week that I couldn't possibly narrow it down to a single choice. There are no less than five contenders on my list, not including four first issues. Maybe I'll be able to pick a favorite from among those nine after I have read them.

Strangely enough, I wasn't a Mad Men viewer either -- after two episodes, I lost interest. Recognized its quality but decided it was too depressing to make a habit of. (Even though there was an actor on the early episodes, Maggie Siff, that I saw do wonderful work in a number of plays in Philadelphia back when I was an entertainment reporter there, and really wanted to follow on film.)

The Flintstones leavens it enough with gags like Philip the Turtle & the ice cream that the comic is more palatable to me than the show.

And yeah, even though my high school experience was pretty good, all things considered, I don't have a lot of patience for stories set in schools anymore. Never got through more than a couple of Harry Potter books (I've heard they get better), and as much as I root for books like Gotham Academy to succeed, they never quite click with me. Maybe if I had kids, I might be able to bring myself to those places more easily. And yet I can still enjoy Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane and Piers Anthony's Prydain books, so it's not every childhood story that doesn't connect. 

Rob: I am so glad you posted about The Flintstones. I picked this up yesterday after flipping through it. It was originally the one Hanna-Barbera comic that I wasn't going to even bother looking at. My thought was that there was no demand for this comic whatsoever, and that no one would read it, and that I certainly wouldn't read it. After all, there is already so much Flintstones material out there telling essentially the same stories over and over. I saw no need for it.

What you said is exactly what I thought while reading it. This is the Afterlife With Archie-ization. That's why it's important that it was done with the Flintstones, a property that is a part of an aging populace.

Who would have thought a tragic history of Wilma Flintstone would be a thing that would interest me? I love Fred Flintstone as the weary company man who is just trying to do right by his family but is conflicted in doing so for his asshole boss. I like how Mr. Slate doesn't really get why he is such a jerk. I liked the PTSD support group, the Neanderthals, and the subtle humor when Fred picked up Barney for the meeting.

This was a wonderful book. I think I enjoyed this every bit as much as I did when I first read Afterlife With Archie. I am on this book as long as it continues to be this good.

I agree that the Flintstones is a pretty solid book.

I grew up watching reruns in the 70s when the show ran alongside various kids shows. I was never crazy about it though and had no idea that it originally ran in primetime and was aimed at adult viewers.

I think the comic book actually gets back to the original concept of courting an older audience. So even though the look and feel is a bit different, we still get the same social commentary, satire and clever puns that were hallmarks of the show.

Having said all that, I don't know if I was sufficiently hooked by the story to pick this up on a regular basis but I do hope it finds an audience.

I think I knew I was hooked when Fred said, "I've been wearing this tie for fifteen years." Aw, man, that hit like a hammer.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I think I knew I was hooked when Fred said, "I've been wearing this tie for fifteen years." Aw, man, that hit like a hammer.

Yeah...good stuff. I also really liked the way Russell tied the framing sequence in with Mr. Slates party. I wonder if he will follow that template with every issue.
I just think this book--from its first issue--feels important. In the same way that Afterlife With Archie feels, it's important that they are using characters in a well-known setting in order to tell the story they're telling. It plays upon pre-conceived notions of the characters and turns them in a different direction to tell a story that is very relevant in the modern world.

For this week, for me, it's a toss up between two, but I haven't read them yet. I'll report back after I have.

Detective Comics #936

I really like what DC is doing with the Bat books.

Since Detective went with Detective, I'm going to say The New Super-Man. This was fun, had a nice little twist with the bully becoming the super-hero, and at least allows the Rebirth DCU (does it really have a name yet?) to have a look at another part of the planet. Not only does Gene Luen Yang get a chance at his own launch, but Viktor Bogdanovic gets his own ongoing title as well. He comes from the world of the "video game" Batman titles, but I always felt his work was as strong as Greg Capullo's.

The end of this issue leaves me even more hopeful that we will get a strong second look at planet Earth in the DCU.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

For this week, for me, it's a toss up between two, but I haven't read them yet. I'll report back after I have.

I'm kind of "iffy" about one of those choices (I'll try to post about it elsewhere), but my "Pick of the Week" is Star Trek #59. this series will come to an end with #60, and the concluding two-part story features the original crew crossing over with the re-boot crew in an unstable region of space.

Power Man and Iron Fist #6 narrowly edging out New Avengers #13.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service