Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

Views: 6373

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

PotW: Black Hammer #1

Disappointment of the week: Grant Morrison's Avatarex #1

I like Black Hammer quite a bit. Didn't get Avatarex -- wassup with that?

Captain Comics said:

I like Black Hammer quite a bit. Didn't get Avatarex -- wassup with that?

It's a digital comic that he did as part of some sort of charity effort. I will usually just grab anything with his name on it but there just wasn't very much to this one. Very decompressed, almost to the point where it just felt like a promotional pamphlet.

Oh. Sounds like I should pass on that one. Thanks for the tip!

Ultimates #9

There wasn’t a comic I was particularly looking forward to this week, so I went with Betty & Veronica #1. After having read it, I still go with Betty & Veronica #1. It’s witty, well-drawn, and, thanks to writer/artist Adam Hughes, it has its own unique voice. I don’t know that I’ve ever read a comic written by Hughes before, but if this is a sample of what to expect, I want to read more!

Like Archie, B&V has a classic reprint backing the main story (although the introduction is not as entertaining or informative as those written by Mark Waid). This story is shaping up to be a two-parter. If I have one quibble about #1 (and this new line in general), is that it should have more done-in-one stories. If I were the editor of this issue, I would have presented one complete story for this first issue with no reprint. Don’t tell me the continued story will draw readers to #2; the quality of the comic itself will do that.

One other problem: This comic book just didn’t have enough variant covers!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

One other problem: This comic book just didn’t have enough variant covers!

bwah ha ha photo bwah.gif

Just read the collection AMAZING SPIDER-MAN :V1: WORLDWIDE

which while it is nothing like my Spidey - is not the 'Poor man's Tony stark' set-up it sounds like.

Fascinating new spin on the character - worthy of a look.

I go with Betty & Veronica #1 as well. I was surprised that Hughes was so good with dialogue -- it was crisp and amusing. And the story was well-constructed, too. A very pleasant surprise, given that I'd only seen Hughes do artwork before.

Speaking of which, I guess I don't have to mention that the art is spectacular. He does take a cheap way out of drawing two pages, which makes me wonder if he can really do 20 pages a month. It was funny, but still.

I like how he differentiates between Betty & Veronica visually. I think Veronica Fish is trying to do that in Archie, too. I'm guessing they're trying to do it line-wide, but not all artists are able to pull that off.

I think I'm going to go ahead and call my Pick of the Week (in terms of what I'm looking forward to) as Captain Kid from Aftershock. It's by Mark Waid and Tom Peyer, and drawn by Wilfred Torres.

I'm looking forward to Captain Kid too. Waid talked about it at a NJ comic con I went to, saying the hook for him was realizing that they needed to give him a compelling reason to ever turn back to the non-powered grownup. Sounds interesting!

I'll go with Captain Kid, too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service