I was watching the Savage/Warrior "retirement" match on disk last night, and it came to the ending where Elizabeth threw Sherri out of the ring, and the thought came to me, "Both of these women are dead now, it's depressing."

Views: 2258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now that I think about it,  I don't know that I ever saw one of New Jack's matches. I never saw ECW in its prime, and he doesn't seem to have been included in either of the ECW DVDs that I have.  In his "tribute" to New Jack, Paul Heyman says that they couldn't follow the usual WWE practice of showing highlights of a deceased wrestler's career because apparently so little of what he did was acceptable for broadcast.

Randy Jackson said:

He was a pretty disgusting human being and I wouldn't call what he did wrestling, but I'm still sad he's gone. 

The Baron said:

RIP New Jack  Geez, he wasn't that much older than I am.

ECW was known for a number of things. Unfortunately, one of the things it's best remembered for is "extreme wrestling". Lesser talented wrestlers were encouraged to cover up their inadeqencies by brawling with whatever weapons and objects happened to be available. This included steel chairs, tables, thumbtack, you name it. Blading was really popular too. 

Now, I think that at one point, New Jack was a popular tag team wrestler in another promotion. However, when he got to ECW I don't ever remember him actually wrestling a match. Instead, he would interrupt matches by bringing out a trash can full of items to attack the other wrestlers with. That was his thing. He would would then brutalize the other performers who would brutalize him in turn (for those of you who don't know, ECW had no rules in terms of interference and all matches were no disqualification). 

ECW had some really good wrestlers and a lot of quality talent, but New Jack was more of a side show. 

The Baron said:

Now that I think about it,  I don't know that I ever saw one of New Jack's matches. I never saw ECW in its prime, and he doesn't seem to have been included in either of the ECW DVDs that I have.  In his "tribute" to New Jack, Paul Heyman says that they couldn't follow the usual WWE practice of showing highlights of a deceased wrestler's career because apparently so little of what he did was acceptable for broadcast.

Randy Jackson said:

He was a pretty disgusting human being and I wouldn't call what he did wrestling, but I'm still sad he's gone. 

The Baron said:

From reading up on him, I find he seems to have started out in Dallas and North Georgia, before going to Smoky Mountain Wrestling and then ECW.  He doesn't seem to have ever worked for Vince.

Randy Jackson said:

ECW was known for a number of things. Unfortunately, one of the things it's best remembered for is "extreme wrestling". Lesser talented wrestlers were encouraged to cover up their inadeqencies by brawling with whatever weapons and objects happened to be available. This included steel chairs, tables, thumbtack, you name it. Blading was really popular too. 

Now, I think that at one point, New Jack was a popular tag team wrestler in another promotion. However, when he got to ECW I don't ever remember him actually wrestling a match. Instead, he would interrupt matches by bringing out a trash can full of items to attack the other wrestlers with. That was his thing. He would would then brutalize the other performers who would brutalize him in turn (for those of you who don't know, ECW had no rules in terms of interference and all matches were no disqualification). 

ECW had some really good wrestlers and a lot of quality talent, but New Jack was more of a side show. 

The Baron said:

Randy Jackson said:

The Baron said:

I think there was talk of him doing a run in during the ECW One Night Stand, which is I believe the closest he ever came to working for Vince. 

The Baron said:

From reading up on him, I find he seems to have started out in Dallas and North Georgia, before going to Smoky Mountain Wrestling and then ECW.  He doesn't seem to have ever worked for Vince.

Randy Jackson said:

The Baron said:

Randy Jackson said:

The Baron said:

Probably they could have fit him in during the match at the end between Dudleys and Dreamer/Sandman.  That one felt like "Let's get as many people as possible some screen time."

Randy Jackson said:

I think there was talk of him doing a run in during the ECW One Night Stand, which is I believe the closest he ever came to working for Vince. 

The Baron said:

Randy Jackson said:

The Baron said:

Randy Jackson said:

The Baron said:

Christopher Romero, aka Chris Youngblood, has passed away at the age of 55.

More Wrestling News:  

Del "The Patriot" Wilkes has died.

Terry Funk moves into assisted living facility

I read that he had COVID a few months ago.
Funk, that is.
Now I'm seeing online that Paul Orndorff has died.

Aw, crap.

PowerBook Pete, the Mad Mod said:

Now I'm seeing online that Paul Orndorff has died.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service