After following the forum for a Big Month for Marvel Comics, and looking at the link for Mike's Kang Time Platform to see month by month what was on sale, I've noticed something that may have been obvious to others.

First, the sequencing of the first few Avengers stories clearly sets up and leads to the classic FF 25-26 Hulk vs. Thing fight and then the Avengers take-over.  Elsewhere, someone has suggested that between the two titles, the story continues through four issues, following the hunt for the Hulk...

But flipping month by month afterwards, I was struck by the number of guest appearances that Namor makes in other marvel titles.  After showing up in Avengers #3 where he turns the Hulk, he appears in X-men, DD, FF # 27 & 33, Thor, Strange Tales...

In fact, the Sub-mariner appears on the cover virtually every other month in some form or another from September 1963 through December 1964.  It's amazing how much exposure he got.

(And we thought Stan was pushing Captain America when he appeared in Strange Tales, Iron Man (tales of Suspence), Avengers #4, and then in his own strip in Tales of Suspense!  Those frequent appearances are nothing compared to Subby's promotional schedule and dance card!

Has anyone else noticed this before?

Views: 818

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

...Among my first-ever comic books exposures was Jules Feiffer's THE GREAT COMIC BOOK HEROES , so perhaps I had more sympathy/liking for - openness ????????? GA material from dot one , I suppose . Unusual then ?????????

When I first started going to conventions and was able to begin buyng back-issues (CHEAP, back then), I went after TALES OF SUSPENSE, and got all but a few of Iron Man's run in the book. Later, the gaps were filled when I got #39 (for which I paid more than I paid for any other back issue to this day), the 1st IM Masterworks, and much later, #52, which a friend gave me as a gift!

During that early convention time, I also got every issue of STRANGE TALES from #135-167, NICK FURY #1-15, and CAPTAIN AMERICA #100-162.

About 10 years back, I got ahold of MSH #12, and wound up enjoying the Golden Age material far more than the new lead feature (although I'm still glad I have that cover).

It does seem like Namor was being pushed at that time. Why, for instance, do the Avengers apparently follow Namor in #4 instead of looking for the Hulk? Why couldn't the Hulk have found the Eskimo tribe and thrown Cap into the ocean?

It's surprising how late Superman and Batman swtiched to monthlies. In the 6os they were coming out about 8-9 times a year.

Also a bit surpring that Stan never put Cap, Namor and the Johnny Storm Torch together, leaving it to Roy to bring Cap, Namor and the original Torch together for the first time since the Golden Age near the tail end of the Silver Age in Avengers #70.  Stan did do numerous stories featuring Namor and Johnny, usually in the FF, but Namor and Cap only tangled once in the Silver Age that I'm aware of, in Avengers #4 itself, and neither appeared to have any memory of having previously met during their brief interaction therein.

Ron M. said:

It does seem like Namor was being pushed at that time. Why, for instance, do the Avengers apparently follow Namor in #4 instead of looking for the Hulk? Why couldn't the Hulk have found the Eskimo tribe and thrown Cap into the ocean?

It's surprising how late Superman and Batman swtiched to monthlies. In the 6os they were coming out about 8-9 times a year.

I think they said somewhere years later that they both had gaps in their memories at that time to explain why they didn't know each other. (John Byrne possibly when he was writing Namor's title?) It didn't occur to Stan that even if they hadn't met in the All-Winner's Squad (assuming it wasn't the real Cap) they still would have heard of each other since they were both active during the same war. I didn't think they really remembered each other very well in Avengers#117 either. They acknowledged meeting in the war but I don't remember them talking about how they used to work together during their battle.

Torch revived Sub-Mariner; Sub-Mariner revived Captain America. It's the Circle of Life!

Hoy

Ron M. said:

Cap hasn't done his job then. He didn't revive any Golden Age characters.

He tried with Bucky, but that was a robot. Twice.

It was Cap's use of the cosmic cube that cleared Bucky's memories - does that count?
Ron M. said:

Cap hasn't done his job then. He didn't revive any Golden Age characters.

He tried with Bucky, but that was a robot. Twice.

Has Bucky revived any Timely characters?

I think Bucky/Winter Soldier used the Cosmic Cube to bring Toro back to life.

Then it's Toro's turn.

Namor had a strange power in Marvel Mystery Comics#2. Encountering fire for the first time, he has no idea it's dangerous. I'm guessing this power didn't appear again, at least after the Golden Age.

"But uncannily the heat brings forth stored-up water in his system, and his entire body acts as a "sprinkler"-water spurts from his pores, and drenches both himself and the unconscious girl!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16qmUZjgAKg

Between 1962 and 1965 he occasionally used weird fish powers.  There has never been a true explanation for why he does not anymore, and it is my understanding that there is the odd, very rare, recent comeback for those.

http://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/10094/does-namor-the-sub-m...

http://sometimescomicsarejustcrap.blogspot.com.br/2013/07/prince-na...

http://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/entries/strange_tales_10...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service