Same question as with the 1960s threads, although I know there are lots of characters who will meet the criteria.  I want to see just how big of a list we can make with this one.  Just to reiterate:

Name a Marvel or DC super-hero created in the 1970s that

- didn't have their own book (like Nova or Firestorm), or

- star in their own strip (like Air Wave or Tigra), or

- were a member of a super-team (like Power Girl or Wolverine)

So how many can you name?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Would 3-D man count?  He showed up in the anthology Marvel Premiere but never had his own series.

If that qualifies, then I think we could grab the other Marvel Premiere characters as well: Torpedo, Paladin, Jack of Hearts and Man-Wolf.  A few had their own series or joined a team like the Avengers later, but were solo heroes without their own titles in the '70s. 

• Yeah, I'll say a try-out in Marvel Premiere or a similar anthology title counts for what I'm looking for.

• A quick peruse of DC's 1st Issue Special turns up Atlas and Codename: Assassin depending on your definition of superhero.

• Off the top of my head even without Marvel Premiere/Spotlight or 1st Issue Special/Showcase:

Marvel:

• Thunderbolt
    • Razorback
    • Arabian Knight
    • Sabra
    • Thundra
    • The Wraith (he was a hero for a while)
    • the Shroud
    • Aquarian
    • El Aquila
    • Hannibal King--Vampire Detective (iffy but he has super-powers)

DC:

• Swashbuckler
    • Ultraa
    • Vartox
    • Human Cannonball

Slim pickings but let me do some more searching through my indexes.

• I would count Nick Fury. Even though he was created in the '60s, after his title was cancelled he played a supporting role in multiple Marvel titles throughout the '70s while he had no regular series of his own.

• Batman #256 had a two-page feature "If Bruce Wayne had not become the Batman" which depicted other identities he might have adopted, including (spoiler warning) the Scorpion, the Stingray, the Owl, the Shooting Star, and the Iron Knight.

Of 1st Issue Special characters, arguably also Manhunter, but I've seen it argued that the old Manhunter in the story was implicitly Paul Kirk (that never occurred to me but it sounds right), so it could be held that the version should count as a revival of the Golden Age series.

• Valdemar of the Flame, who came from a hidden Viking community in Maine and debuted in Superman #260.

I've not read the issue, but the lead story in Action Comics #386 was part of a serial depicting Superman's possible future. This part was titled "The Home for Old Super-Heroes!" The story involved superheroes called Electroman and Atom King, who can be seen on the cover.

If recurring superpowered characters who didn't don costumes or adopt sobriquets may be counted, the supergenius little girl Kathie Warren from Superboy #176 and #191.

Val from "The Kid Who Adopted Jimmy Olsen" in Superman Family #170, who (spoiler warning) turned out at the end of the story to have magical powers and who was being groomed by his parents to be a hero.

I'd like to include characters from two more stories, although they don't qualify in the last resort. The back-up story in Superboy #222 involved a hero called Questar who is very popular in distant parts of the Galaxy in the LSH's time. In the Flash story in DC Special Series #1 we got to see Patty Spivot, Barry Allen's lab assistant, in the role of Ms Flash. (Spoilers warnings for these stories. Questar turns out to be a fraud. Barry just imagines what might have happened if Patty had received superpowers.)

This post displaced the thread G-Girl scheduled for 'Champions' appearances from the Sneak Peeks, Solicitations & PR forum from the home page.

• Doc Samson. He debuted in Incredible Hulk #141 (1971).

• Quick note about Questar (a great name btw): he was a fraud as far as being a super-hero but he did possess great super-powers!

Funny, I never thought about Doc Samson. There were times when he was practically the co-star of Incredible Hulk.

• I couldn't tell from Wikipedia if he's become an Avenger. But at this point nearly every Marvel hero (it seems) has been an Avenger, so I'm inclined to think recent enrolment shouldn't be disqualifying.

Janus, Dracula's son, perhaps.

This reply was deleted.