Replies

• A shame he never won an Emmy for The Andy Griffith Show ... 

• ...I just saw 1&1/2 episodes of MATLOCK on EHN America yesterday , too...........My condolences to his friends and family , of course............

ClarkKent_DC said:

A shame he never won an Emmy for The Andy Griffith Show ... 

• ...That was supposed to be " WGN America " above...........

Emerkeith Davyjack said:
      ...I just saw 1&1/2 episodes of MATLOCK on EHN America yesterday , too...........My condolences to his friends and family , of course............

ClarkKent_DC said:

• ...That was supposed to be " WGN America " above...........

Emerkeith Davyjack said:
      ...I just saw 1&1/2 episodes of MATLOCK on EHN America yesterday , too...........My condolences to his friends and family , of course............

ClarkKent_DC said:

• I have heard of this movie and want to check it out.

George Poague said:

Check out the 1957 movie "A Face in the Crowd" for a very different Andy Griffith from the Mayberry version.

• Jason Marconnet said:

I have heard of this movie and want to check it out.

George Poague said:

Check out the 1957 movie "A Face in the Crowd" for a very different Andy Griffith from the Mayberry version.

Yeah, that sounds like it could be a good one to check out. From what I've heard, Griffith could play heels quite well when he got the chance.

• The Good Mrs. Benson sat down with me to watch A Face in the Crowd two weeks ago.  It was the first time she had seen it.  Griffith's performance gave her chills.

Besides that, the film wonderfully sends up Arthur Godfrey and many of the television conventions of the 1950's.  I'm not a huge Walter Matthau fan, but I really enjoyed his performance in the film, as well.

But Griffith is the one to keep your eye on.  His acting skill will amaze anyone who figured he couldn't do anything more than play versions of Sheriff Taylor.

• Griffith also had a nice late-career role in "Waitress," an indie film from 2007. It showed his chops as a character actor.

I loved him in that movie.  It was such I nice surprise to see him again, after not having seen him in anything in years.

Yeah, that sounds like it could be a good one to check out. From what I've heard, Griffith could play heels quite well when he got the chance.

Looking through his filmography, he seems to have spent much of the late seventies and early eighties playing criminals and slimeballs in made-for-tv movies -- apparently making a deliberate attempt to get away from his folksy, charming Andy Taylor persona.  It's too bad he never got the chance to play more of those roles in higher-profile feature films.

• Among other things (and I never realized this as a kid), Griffith was the inspiration for the character "Huckleberry Hound".

• ...Was it perhaps or more Phil Harris as inspiration for ol-
      ' Huck , Henry - even Bing Crosby ? Ir/and otherx?

s ?

Henry R. Kujawa said:

Among other things (and I never realized this as a kid), Griffith was the inspiration for the character "Huckleberry Hound".

This reply was deleted.