R.I.P. Richard Libertini, 1933-2016

Another departure from the ranks of The Legion of "Hey, It's That Guy!" Character Actors.

From The Hollywood Reporter: "Richard Libertini, the Crazy Central American General in 'The In-Laws,' Dies at 82"

I remember him from the Steve Martin flick, and from Barney Miller, although he was a different character each time he was on that show. He was one of those guys you saw in everything -- movies, TV, commercials -- and was kind of an all-purpose ethnic type, playing Italian, Jew, Latino, Hindu and space alien at one time or another.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Looking at his body of work on IMDB, he was truly a mainstay of movies, TV and animation. I always enjoyed his performances.

• I think the first time I said, "Hey, it's that guy!" was in Popeye. Clearly he had made an impression on me earlier, or it was cumulative. Either way, I never failed to notice him after (and he was ubiquitous) in movies and on TV.

• I first noticed him in All of Me, but I know I've seen him in countless other things.  Never a head-liner that I knew about, but always working.

• He appeared in two episodes of The Bob Newhart Show in 1977, playing a different character in each. The wife and I have been rewatching the show lately and caught both episodes within a week.

This reply was deleted.