End of watch for Lt. Giardello.

From The Hollywood Reporter"Yaphet Kotto, Actor in 'Homicide: Life on the Street,' 'Live and Let Die,' and 'Alien,' Dies at 81"

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ah, what a shame.

• Yaphet Kotto had a long career in movies and TV, like a memorable appearance on the original Hawaii Five-O.

His turn in Live and Let Die likely stemmed from his appearances in Blaxploitation flicks like Truck Turner, Monkey Hustle and Friday Foster, although he also appeared in more prestigious fare like the original version of The Thomas Crown Affair and Report to the Commissioner. Live and Let Die is my favorite of the Roger Moore James Bond movies, probably because it's the first I remember (as well as his first).

He won an Emmy nomination for his turn as Idi Amin in the NBC TV movie Raid on Entebbe. (Oddly, one of his frequent co-stars in Blaxploitation flicks, Julius Harris, played Idi Amin in the TV movie Victory at Entebbe, which ABC rushed to get on the air ahead of NBC's version.)

• I always enjoyed his performances. especially as Lt Giardello.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Live and Let Die is my favorite of the Roger Moore James Bond movies, probably because it's the first I remember (as well as his first).

Live and Let Die was the best of the Roger Moore Bond movies. After that they descended into camp.

•     I liked Kotto in Homicide - Life on the Street, his no-BS attitude gave him depth.

But are you guys serious about Live and Let Die being your favorite Bond movie? After Paul McCartney opening song, Live and Let Die had no place to go but down.

Compared to From Russia with Love - absolutely no contest!

Didn't you see Moore in The Spy Who Loved Me?

• Kevin Ahearn said:

I liked Kotto in Homicide - Life on the Street, his no-BS attitude gave him depth.

But are you guys serious about Live and Let Die being your favorite Bond movie? After Paul McCartney opening song, Live and Let Die had no place to go but down.

Compared to From Russia with Love - absolutely no contest!

Didn't you see Moore in The Spy Who Loved Me?

I like what I like.
  • I didn't say it was my favorite Bond movie, but the best of the Roger Moore Bonds.

• An incredible actor and screen presence. 

Homicide: Life on the Street is one of my all-time favorite TV shows, and his performance as Gee contributed mightily to that ensemble. He's getting called out for his roles in Live and Let Die and Alien, but he was also fantastic as FBI Agent Mosely in Midnight Run, one of my favorite comedies. 

I think I have access to all of Night Gallery on one of my streaming services. I probably don't have time to watch a full movie tonight, but if I can, I'll check out the second-season NG episode "The Messiah on Mott Street" to see what he was up to in 1971. 

•     "If we all agreed, we'd all have the same wife."

LBJ

• That's too bad. I've let my love of Homicide,pretty well known around here for a while (I'm currently on season 4 now).

Rob is absolutely right, he was just great in Midnight Run.

I'd actually read up on his life a couple of months back, because I didn't know that much about his personal life. Pretty fascinating.

• I've got the complete Night Gallery, I'll have to dig that one out.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

An incredible actor and screen presence. 

Homicide: Life on the Street is one of my all-time favorite TV shows, and his performance as Gee contributed mightily to that ensemble. He's getting called out for his roles in Live and Let Die and Alien, but he was also fantastic as FBI Agent Mosely in Midnight Run, one of my favorite comedies. 

I think I have access to all of Night Gallery on one of my streaming services. I probably don't have time to watch a full movie tonight, but if I can, I'll check out the second-season NG episode "The Messiah on Mott Street" to see what he was up to in 1971. 

This reply was deleted.