A racist group wants to boycott the upcoming Marvel Comics' Thor movie because one of the characters will be portrayed by a black guy.

http://cofcc.org/2010/12/marval-studios-declares-war-on-norse-mythology/

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Probably for the same reason people stare at car wrecks.

• Bingo.

The Baron said:

Probably for the same reason people stare at car wrecks.

• Because they have a way of making life problematic for other people, that's why.

• Is there an argument that we shouldn't provide direct links to such sites?  I'm sure they will read every hit as some sort of approval for their cause, or at least, PA for it?

What do you guys think?

Although I had read 'about' this on Rich Whatsisname's site, there is a value in seeing just HOW %$#*&^% stupid those people are.

The second picture is NOT from a 60's Marvel comic, and Idris Elba is NOT a hip-hop DJ.  (Just as not all Hip Hop DJ's are black, neither are all black people Hip Hop DJ's.)

Given that much stupidity, I'd have to doubt whether the first picture is actually a 'classic picture of Heimdall' either.

In fact it looks like one of Norse Proto-Cubist embroiderer Pablo Picassosson's series of tapestries "Unnamed Man with a Horn".

However, I would like to thank the Conservative Racists of America for letting me know that the wonderful Stringer Bell, of all people, is going to be in the new Thor movie.  How cool is that?

I'd seen him in the trailers, but what with the big helmet and the glowing eyes, I didn't recognise him...

• If they make a black Heimdall action figure, I'm going to buy it an put it right next to the Black Adam I have in my classroom.

Black Adam-- you know--the 3000 year old WHITE guy powered boy Egyptian gods.

Figserello said:

Is there an argument that we shouldn't provide direct links to such sites?  I'm sure they will read every hit as some sort of approval for their cause, or at least, PA for it?

What do you guys think?

Although I had read 'about' this on Rich Whatsisname's site, there is a value in seeing just HOW %$#*&^% stupid those people are.

The second picture is NOT from a 60's Marvel comic, and Idris Elba is NOT a hip-hop DJ.  (Just as not all hip hop DJ's are black, neither are all black people hip hop DJ's.)

Given that much stupidity, I'd have to doubt whether the first picture is actually a 'classic picture of Heimdall' either.

In fact it looks like one of Norse Proto-Cubist embroiderer Pablo Picassosson's series of tapestries "Unnamed Man with a Horn".

However, I would like to thank the Conservative Racists of America for letting me know that the wonderful Stringer Bell, of all people, is going to be in the new Thor movie.  How cool is that?

I'd seen him in the trailers, but what with the big helmet and the glowing eyes, I didn't recognise him...

• Good stuff - Hopefully you have one of those blue-eyed Aryan 'Sacrad Heart of Jesus' pictures that were in every house in Ireland when I was growing up, to complete the tryptich of ethnically confused godlike beings?
  • Oh man, don't get me started. There's no way Jesus was a white guy. And yet...how many of us grew up with a picture of a white Jesus in our church?

Figserello said:
    Good stuff - Hopefully you have one of those blue-eyed Aryan 'Sacrad Heart of Jesus' pictures that were in every house in Ireland when I was growing up, to complete the tryptich of ethnically confused godlike beings?
  • Well, considering that the Norse gods (as well as the Greco-Romans ones) were shape-shifters, why couldn't one decide to be black for awhile? And, more to the point, so what? Are there still followers of Heimdall to take offense? It's no great secret that Neo-Nazis and their ilk have a morbid fascination with Viking deities. Apparently they are way macho and look awesome on multiple tattoos!

Still, debating religion, any religion, is never productive. No one can be 100% right or wrong. It's a bad analogy but Jesus is like Galactus, everyone sees Him as they wish to see Him. I was going to comment on the terrible history of Ireland in the name of religion but I'm sure I would get something wrong, so all I'll say is we must strive for a better, more tolerant and forgiving future. Tis the season, after all.

• Believe it or not, yes.

Philip Portelli said:

Are there still followers of Heimdall to take offense?

• "...Jesus is like Galactus, everyone sees Him as they wish to see Him."

"I AM JESUS, REDEEMER OF WORLDS! And this is My herald, the Silver Baptist."

This reply was deleted.