Ranking the Silver Age Legion of Super Heroes

Just for fun, I’ve decided to rank the Silver Age Legion of Super Heroes. This is my list, so if you disagree, please create your own. I’d love to see it.

Here are the guidelines I’ve set for myself for this list:

• The Silver Age ends in 1968—the end of 1968
  • Only active, full-time Legionnaires are being considered. No Subs, Reservists or Honorary members, and nobody that was a member for one story but was expelled afterwards.
  • Rankings will be based on each character’s potential and actual contributions to the team. It’s entirely possible that a character I think is pretty awesome is ranked pretty low—or vice versa.

Characters will be ranked in several areas:

• Intangibles – what, beyond their powers and abilities, did they bring to the team? For instance, if a character helped significantly boost morale, made a major scientific contribution or brought great leadership, that character would likely get extra points.
  • Perceived Value – Looking at the character’s powers and abilities, what should they bring to the table for the team.
  • Actual Value – Looking at the stories, what did those characters actually do with their powers and abilities? What contributions did they make?

I’ll tell you all right now, there are gonna be some surprises.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• One more thing: I'm scoring marks on a baseline of 5-10, with 5 being nothing special and 10 being the best possible.

• 1. Saturn Girl

Intangibles – 8 –Led the Legion, created the serum allowing Mon-El to leave the Phantom Zone

Perceived Value – 9 – As the Legion’s resident telepath, her abilities to read the minds of others is extremely useful.

Actual Value – 9 – Imra performed her duties to the best of her ability, and deserves high marks.

Total Score: 26

• Ah, interesting.

• Randy Jackson said:

1. Saturn Girl... created the serum allowing Mon-El to leave the Phantom Zone

Did she? what was Brainiac Five doing that day? Playing five-dimensional Pong?

• Most likely working on Computo or some other robot.

The Baron said:

Did she? what was Brainiac Five doing that day? Playing five-dimensional Pong?

• It's not that I thought she was a dumbass or anything, I just didn't recall her being a scientist, especially.

• She created the first version that allowed him to leave temporarily (Adventure Comics #300). She was able to communicate with him using her telepathy. Brainiac 5 created version that allowed him to leave permanently (Adventure Comics #305).

• Ok, so who's second in your list?

• I'm going to take my time. Probably 1 per day.

Steve W said:

Ok, so who's second in your list?

• Your criteria will eliminate "members" such as Dynamo Boy and Command Kid, which makes a lot of sense. How will you handle the adult Legion, for example, Polar Man?
This reply was deleted.