I seem to recall reading that Reggie Mantle, Riverdale's #1 Obnoxious Guy once starred in his own comic! I find that hard to believe! Oh, I'm sure it happened but how and why? Did Reggie.....win? Over Archie and Jughead? Did he "get" Veronica or Betty? What type of stories were there? Did we learn anything about him? Was he less of a jerk?

How could Reggie be the "hero" of a comic?

Also I once read that Big Ethel had her own book. Is that true? How many other of Archie's supporting cast received their own titles, however briefly?

Views: 1429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

George Poague said:

One thing that seems really odd to me, and many people my age (early 50s), is how few children read comic books today. That's a total change from the newsstand era, when almost all kids did read comics to some extent -- and if they didn't like superheroes, there were tons of comics in other genres.

I guess this is the result of several factors: rising prices; competing media (videogames, then the Internet, and now iPads and iPhones),and the demise of publishers that specialized in little-kid comics: Harvey, Gold Key, Dell.

When I see children in my LCS, they're always with their helicopter parents, and they're looking for DVDs or computer games -- not comics. It's mostly grown men looking at the comics, and they appear to be over 30.

Randy Jackson said:

If I had to guess, it has a lot to do with price, and a lot to do with the likelihood that their parents never read comics either.

I know that manga is reasonably popular, but even then I think it's mostly shonen comics, which are essentially the same thing as superheroes.

Kirk G said:

Remember, comics books were vilified in the 1950s and early 60s not only by Fredrick Wertham but also by educators who assumed that only juvenile delinquents were entertained or embracing comics. Also, it was assumed since they were bundled into Sunday papers for free, and appealed to the younger kids, that they were anti-literacy.

Of course, we enlightened 50 year olds now know that comics can enhance literacy, and that they appeal to the acclimated and the enlightened as well.

It was assumed that comics should only cost a dime or coins...so when they are charging dollars per comic...the general public starts to reject them.

I think Randy and Kirk have hit on the problem.

The whole thing with Frederic Wertham is history to today's kids, and their parents; it doesn't matter to them at all. But one indirect result, all these years later, is that you do have a generation of parents who didn't grow up with comics at every newsstand and five and dime and drugstore -- if for no other reason than the newsstands and five and dimes have disappeared, plus all the reasons George cites.

But some of those parents, or their grandparents, are out to share with their kids and grandkids the wonder of comics that they once knew ... but when you tell them comics today are $2.99 or $3.99 (or more!), they are uniformly always shocked.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service