Replies

• A new hardcover edition of Stan Lee & Jack Kirby's Silver Surfer graphic novel with editorial material placing it in historical perspective and other extras. (But mainly just the story in a nice format.)

• A long time ago, I got a cheap (on newsprint) collection of MAD the comic book, done in the size of the magazine. I cherish it, because most of the stories I've seen from MAD the comic book were in those paperback collections they used to do, with the pages cut apart into panels and printed in black and white. There's at least one story from MAD the comic book that NEEDS color, because it's spoofing the 3-D comics craze.

• Although I have the individual comics, it would be nice to get The Maze Agency collected, as it went through (at least) three different publishers.

And the world needs Comico's Jonny Quest and its spinoff miniseries, Jezebel Jade and Classic Jonny Quest, which were written and drawn by Doug Wildey and adapted episodes from the TV series.

• From Comic Shop News' Annual "Red K Awards":

The "Missing in Action" Award for Curt Swan Superman Collections

"Why is it that the finest artist ever to draw the Man of steel goes almost unrepresented in DC's library of Superman collected editions? Swan's superman was the model other artists followed for almost three decades; there should be an entire shelf devoted to collections of his work. No one portrayed emotions and humanity better than Swan--nor could any other artist portray nobility and heroism the way he did. Swan defined the look of Superman for both the Silver and the Bronze Age, and his artistry deserves to be preserved as long as DC is publishing Superman."

• I'd love see the 1965-1968 issues of Challengers of the Unknown collected. This was the period when the Challs swapped their purple long johns for the slicker yellow and red outfits. Bob Brown handled the art chores on covers and interiors with scripts primarily from Arnold Drake along with contributions from Bill Finger and Ed Herron.  During this period the writers began focusing more on the individual personalities of the Challs and more outrageous villains were introduced into the mix. These were some truly fun comics.

• DC published a Mad Archives for four volumes, issues #1-24.

• "THE TRIAL OF THE FLASH": I'm pretty much alone when it comes to this one, but this is where I started reading The Flash and I enjoy Carmine Infantino's mid-'80s art style (I'm also "pretty much alone" when it comes to that as well). 

32498976048.340.jpg

HULK! MAGAZINE: The b&w issues (plus a few of the color issues, badly) have already been reprinted in one of the b&w "Essential" editions. I'm happy with that, but I'd really like to see those color issues in a nice HC edition. 

42297804744.10.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

"THE TRIAL OF THE FLASH": I'm pretty much alone when it comes to this one, but this is where I started reading The Flash and I enjoy Carmine Infantino's mid-'80s art style (I'm also "pretty much alone" when it comes to that as well). 

32498976048.340.jpg

You started with this storyline? Oh, you poor guy ... 

You enjoy Carmine Infantino's mid-'80s art style? Well, that's what make horse races.

• Someone else must have like it since it got its own Essential volume, something the 70s Bronze Age Flash never got!

But what do I know? I have ALL the issues and the Essential!

ClarkKent_DC said:

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"THE TRIAL OF THE FLASH": I'm pretty much alone when it comes to this one, but this is where I started reading The Flash and I enjoy Carmine Infantino's mid-'80s art style (I'm also "pretty much alone" when it comes to that as well). 

32498976048.340.jpg

You started with this storyline? Oh, you poor guy ... 

You enjoy Carmine Infantino's mid-'80s art style? Well, that's what make horse races.

• I liked it, too. I mean, I'm pretty much always on the hook for Flash, but -- aside from some REALLY frustrating flashbacks and detours -- this kept me on my toes. It's a comedown from the storyline that precedes it, though: Flash vs The Eradicator & Goldface, which starts in Flash 314 and eventually culminates in Barry's wedding to Fiona Webb, where he kills Reverse-Flash and sets the trial in motion. Trial of the Flash was a great follow-up year of comics stretched out into 2 years, and it shows.

And yeah, Carmine's '80s style took a while to grow on me, but by that point I was all in.

This reply was deleted.