When the Legion returns to their own book in May, it will be the older, original Legion not either of the reboots. The question is  "Will we read about heroes in their thirties with complex backstories or would we rather have them young again or again young?"

I know their history since Legion was the first book I bought regularly, yet that very history that makes them unique is also a weight that may drag them down. A 30 year old Lightning "Lad" with an attitude may be annoying while a rebellious 16 year old is interesting. Garth and Irma's love being set in stone is comforting but being free to date anyone is exciting!

Therefore I ask, Do we want a Legion our own age with their past intact or another NEW Legion where anything can happen?

Views: 52

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris Fluit said:
I like the explanation of the Backstreet Boys the best. When asked if they should change their name now that they're adults, they replied that don't recall anybody asking the Beach Boys, Oak Ridge Boys or Pet Shop Boys to change their names.

Let's not forget the Thompson Twins. There were 3 of them, they weren't related, and none were named Thompson.

Don't get me started on Boy George...

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

Philip Portelli said:
It was "Superboy & the Legion" #235 and Superboy had to be brainwashed into forgetting it!

Would that we could share his fate.
"Do we want a Legion our own age with their past intact or another NEW Legion where anything can happen?"

I really don't know how to answer that question. I was introduced to the Legion of Super Heroes by way of several Bronze Age issues of Adventure Comics, and "my" Legion is the Paul Levitz/Mike Grell version. Anything since then has confused me to no end because of the continuity baggage and multiple reboots.

However, I recently picked up a couple of Supergirl and the Legion of Super Heroes trade paperbacks from the library, and did enjoy them, once I let myself quit worrying about all stuff I didn't know or had changed since I last actually enjoyed (as opposed to "read") the title. So if what is being proposed is something more like that book, I could appreciate it. But Giffen? The Adult Legion? "Five Years Later"? No, no, and heck no.
"Do we want a Legion our own age with their past intact or another NEW Legion where anything can happen?"

Well, technically, a Legion "my own age" would be 45, and Lightning Lad would be "Gettin' a Little Thin on the Top" Lad.

Bear in mind that, for many of us, the Golden Age of the Legionnaires was at a time when they were still older than we were. Now we're debating just how much younger than we are we want them to be.
Doing "Legion of Super-Heroes" it makes sense to build on existing reader interest in the characters, their universe, and the franchise's past stories. They're what the franchise has going for it.

As a thought experiment, imagine DC introducing a wholly new series about a super-team of the future, with no connection to existing characters. I fear it likely wouldn't last very long: these days the market only seems to want long-established characters and teams.
once I let myself quit worrying about all stuff I didn't know or had changed since I last actually enjoyed (as opposed to "read") the title

That's a good rule in general.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service