Return of the Legion

When the Legion returns to their own book in May, it will be the older, original Legion not either of the reboots. The question is  "Will we read about heroes in their thirties with complex backstories or would we rather have them young again or again young?"

I know their history since Legion was the first book I bought regularly, yet that very history that makes them unique is also a weight that may drag them down. A 30 year old Lightning "Lad" with an attitude may be annoying while a rebellious 16 year old is interesting. Garth and Irma's love being set in stone is comforting but being free to date anyone is exciting!

Therefore I ask, Do we want a Legion our own age with their past intact or another NEW Legion where anything can happen?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm up for the older Legion. The hook for me has always been "superheroes in the future," not their status as teens.

Some of the names will be problematic, though.
  • It's awkward but I prefer Lightning Man to Live Wire and Sun Man to Inferno!
  • I haven't seen the publicity, but I'd assume they'll be the Geoff Johns Legion from Action, rather than the "5 years later" version. Isn't that the version that's been appearing in Adventure?
  • It is indeed the "de-booted" Legion that Geoff Johns resurrected. It's essentially the same Legion as the original, pre-5YL and Pre-Magic Wars, with some tweaks.

Some of the tweaks we know (Clark Kent joined the Legion as Superboy, but had a much smaller, if any, Superboy career in his own time), and some I'm sure will come out as those older stories that don't quite fit the new history are revealed. I suspect Mon-El will be rescuing Brainiac's bottled cities and populating the universe with them, giving rise to the civilizations that will one day form the UP.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

• I prefer an older Legion myself. We've read a rebooted younger Legion many times now.
  • Well, the only Legion I know is the one in the Showcase collections, so I'd be all for seeing them in their future. Seeing them grown up might be fun.

But it won't be long before DC takes the clean simplicity of that set-up and tangles it up in lots of other sleeping dog continuities.
  • I think the fans have spoken pretty clearly that the interest is much greater for a return of the Levitz/Giffen Legion than there is for another new Legion.
  • Oh didn't you know? The Legionnaires are still called "Lad", "Lass", "Boy", and "Girl" because of a treatment that keeps them eternally young. It was in the "Superboy and the Legion of Super Heroes" run, maybe #223. That's why they're still boys and girls.

Must be true. Clark Kent told me the story, and he has the most... compelling... eyewear...

But I'll tell you what. For still being lads and lasses, that drug makes 'em look like five miles of bad road sometimes... maybe it's the same as that Nick Fury Infinity formula!

I remain,
    Sincerely,
    Eric L. Sofer
    The Silver Age Fogey
    x<]:o){
  • I'm in for the continuing adventures of the "Geoff Johns" Legion.
  • I like the explanation of the Backstreet Boys the best. When asked if they should change their name now that they're adults, they replied that don't recall anybody asking the Beach Boys, Oak Ridge Boys or Pet Shop Boys to change their names.

Eric L. Sofer said:
    Oh didn't you know? The Legionnaires are still called "Lad", "Lass", "Boy", and "Girl" because of a treatment that keeps them eternally young. It was in the "Superboy and the Legion of Super Heroes" run, maybe #223. That's why they're still boys and girls.

Must be true. Clark Kent told me the story, and he has the most... compelling... eyewear...

But I'll tell you what. For still being lads and lasses, that drug makes 'em look like five miles of bad road sometimes... maybe it's the same as that Nick Fury Infinity formula!

I remain,
    Sincerely,
    Eric L. Sofer
    The Silver Age Fogey
    x<]:o){
This reply was deleted.