RIP Mary Tyler Moore

Story  Another one of the icons of my youth is gone, star of two classic sitcoms, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and her own The Mary Tyler Moore Show. I gather she had been in ill health for some time.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• ...Well , at least - Just like a star , she didn;
    ,t gget caught up in that end-of-the-year rush !!!!!!!!

• We just finished the entire run of the Dick Van Dyke Show on Netflix. When we can we'll watch the MTM Show the same way. A favorite in both my childhood and adulthood.
  • Funny you should mention this. After the death of Miguel Ferrer, my local paper actually had an article titled "Who we lost this year". Really!? This is January. I must admit to having been taken aback.

More importantly: MTM was a part of my childhood. You couldn't help but enjoy her performances as Laura Petrie or Mary Richards on the MTM show. Like most, I was pleasantly shocked by her performance in "Ordinary People". Rest in peace, Mary.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Well , at least - Just like a star , she didn;
    ,t gget caught up in that end-of-the-year rush !!!!!!!!

• I liked her variety show.

• Doggone it. Her show was so progressive. Rest in peace after a long and great career.

• I missed the news about Miguel Ferrer's death. We saw him and Bill Mumy performing at the San Diego Con years ago as part of the band named "Seduction of the Innocent." A good actor and a comics fan.

• Not only was Mary Tyler Moore a beloved actress, thanks to MTM Enterprises, her name stands for quality television. Hill Street Blues. St. Elsewhere. Lou Grant. Phyllis. Rhoda. The White Shadow. The Bob Newhart Show. WKRP in Cincinnati. And more.

• And Grant Tinker, her former husband and partner in MTM died two months ago.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Not only was Mary Tyler Moore a beloved actress, thanks to MTM Enterprises, her name stands for quality television. Hill Street Blues. St. Elsewhere. Lou Grant. Phyllis. Rhoda. The White Shadow. The Bob Newhart Show. WKRP in Cincinnati. And more.

• When asked if he really hated spunk, Ed Asner said "No, not when she had it." The people that worked for her were all willing to throw themselves on their swords for her.

• Somebody mentioned on another board that she was the only major cast member of her own show to have since died, except for Ted Knight.

Which is remarkable, because many of her co-stars are years older than her, including Betty White, fourteen years older.

This reply was deleted.