Scarlett Johansson and Disney settle lawsuit over 'Black Widow' payout

From Variety"Scarlett Johansson and Disney Settle ‘Black Widow’ Pay Lawsuit"

This is one of those situations that I cannot understand why it ever got to litigation. 

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

UPDATE from Deadline: Their sources say the settlement is north of $40 million.

"Disney & Scarlett Johansson Resolve Bitter ‘Black Widow’ Profits Lawsuit; Big $$$ Win for Oscar Nominee"

Yet Don Heck's heirs won't get a dime!

ClarkKent_DC said:

UPDATE from Deadline: Their sources say the settlement is north of $40 million.

"Disney & Scarlett Johansson Resolve Bitter ‘Black Widow’ Profits Lawsuit; Big $$$ Win for Oscar Nominee"

From what I've heard, before it got there, Johannsen (or her representation) approached Kevin Feige... who passed it along to Disney, asking them to please handle it -- meaning cool things down, make this right with her. But if all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail... and Disney has a legal team full of hammers. 

Possibly; it's a BIG pie, and it's not either-or. But Johannsen certainly has better lawyers than the Marvel creators have.

Philip Portelli said:

Yet Don Heck's heirs won't get a dime!

ClarkKent_DC said:

UPDATE from Deadline: Their sources say the settlement is north of $40 million.

"Disney & Scarlett Johansson Resolve Bitter ‘Black Widow’ Profits Lawsuit; Big $$$ Win for Oscar Nominee"

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

From what I've heard, before it got there, Johannsen (or her representation) approached Kevin Feige... who passed it along to Disney, asking them to please handle it -- meaning cool things down, make this right with her. But if all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail... and Disney has a legal team full of hammers. 

From what I've heard, Kevin Feige was incensed that this got to litigation. But Kevin Feige is the kind of executive who understands the importance of maintaining good relationships with your partners ... and Disney CEO Bob Chapek does not have that background. Chapek is the kind who thinks actors are a dime a dozen and they're just interchangeable like widgets.

Hopefully the Board of Directors will remember Chapek's wrong move when they have trouble signing the actors they want.

It was initially reported that Johansson wanted $100M (over and above her contractual compensation), so going to court got it down to $30M, which is good for Disney, I guess? But more than that, this suit will help set the rules on actor compensation in the streaming world going forward. I don't really know enough about the ramifications to have an opinion, but I'm generally on the side of the underdog, which isn't the Mouse.

Captain Comics said:

It was initially reported that Johansson wanted $100M (over and above her contractual compensation), so going to court got it down to $30M, which is good for Disney, I guess? But more than that, this suit will help set the rules on actor compensation in the streaming world going forward. I don't really know enough about the ramifications to have an opinion, but I'm generally on the side of the underdog, which isn't the Mouse.

Deadline is saying Scarlett Johansson got about $40 million, and everyone else is quoting them. 

Now, Warner Media decided to release its entire slate of movies in 2021 to theaters and streaming, and set aside $200 million to compensate the actors and directors who didn't like it. Such as Gal Gadot and Patty Jenkins, who each got $10 million for Wonder Woman 1984 to offset the lost potential for it to make those targets that really would have boosted their pay. 

At the time, there was a lot of yelling and screaming at Warners, but now it looks like that was the smart play. Why didn't Disney do that? 

Why didn't Dr. Doom pay Luke Cage his money for services rendered? Because he was powerful and arrogant and figured he'd get away with it 


ClarkKent_DC said:

Why didn't Disney do that? 

ClarkKent_DC said:

Why didn't Disney do that? 

Randy Jackson said:

Why didn't Dr. Doom pay Luke Cage his money for services rendered? Because he was powerful and arrogant and figured he'd get away with it 

Wasn't that a Doombot?

"Where's my money, Honey?"

Randy Jackson said:

Why didn't Dr. Doom pay Luke Cage his money for services rendered? Because he was powerful and arrogant and figured he'd get away with it 


ClarkKent_DC said:

Why didn't Disney do that? 

From CBR: "Shang-Chi Box Office Reportedly Factored Into Black Widow Lawsuit Settlement"

It seems that Disney's case that they had to release Black Widow to theaters and streaming because, y'know, COVID, was undermined when Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings' box-office take hit $94.7 million on the four-day Labor Day weekend.

Shang-Chi had an exclusive theatrical release, and maybe Black Widow could have done similar or better numbers if it had had one, too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service