Secret Empire 0 pulls together threads from several different books which constitute the prologue. They are conveniently laid out here:

I only read the Steve Rogers issue and didn’t really feel like I needed to read the rest to follow what was going on in Secret Empire 0. In Steve Rogers 16 we see Cap’s secret plan start to coalesce as Hydra seeks to reassemble the Cosmic Cube without reawakening Kobik and Zemo appears to kill Bucky.

This brings us to Secret Empire 0 wherein it is outlined that the Cosmic Cube was apparently created by American scientists during the World War II era and used to create the reality that we know as the original Marvel Universe.  Hyrdra’s plan is to use Cap to “undo” that “fake” reality and restore the “true” reality in which Hydra conquers the world.  So they appear to be telling us that the entire Marvel Universe is all just one big EYKIW.

On the other hand, we are still getting the intro text page telling us that Kobik has rewritten reality.  In which case this whole Captain Hydra saga is just one big bad dream that can be Bobby Ewinged out of existence at any time.

In the meantime Nick Spencer has started knocking down the dominos that he has nicely put into place over the last year or so.  This isn’t just a bunch of random stuff thrown together to sell a summer crossover. There appears to have actually been a lot of planning that went into this.

Here’s the way it will unfold going forward:

It doesn't appear that there are too many tie-ins or spin-offs, although I suppose that could change but so far I'm on board for the main series and probably Uprising as well.

Views: 3494

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thing of it is marvel is sort of a one trick pony with these events.  There haven't been many where the heroes haven't been fighting the heroes.  Their super villains are lame by comparison.  Pete was sort of a villain when Doc Oct had his body.  Most of the Avengers I can think of have gone bad.  When I think of the heroes I grew up with the ones who used to be my favorites, Reed, Tony, Scott, Carol... it's really hard to find any of them I'd care about to spend 4.99 on.  But without a super hero to turn bad marvel might be forced to bring in an actual super villain and compared to what the super heroes have one over the years can any super villain really be considered a threat?  I'd laugh'em of the page if any other tried to outdo the good guys in terms of sheer evil acts.  So where does marvel go from here?  All the superheroes just shake hands and go home?  That'll look pretty phony.

“All in all I thought this was wrapped up as well as could be expected. I think there are a still a lot of unanswered questions but maybe some of those will be addressed in Secret Empire Omega #1.”

To paraphrase the Angel from G-S X-M #1: “What are we going to do with two Captain Americas?”

“Um. Well, Omega, give me a live Black Widow and I'll just ignore the rest.”

Rick Jones, me.

“At least it's over.”

I find myself just wanting to move on… to the Captain America series I expected all those months ago.

One of these days I need to sit down and read these ten issues in a single sitting, but that’s not going to happen any time soon.

Peter David is writing for Marvel again. I'm sure he'll be back.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Rick Jones, me.

'Tec, something I'm not clear on: Your summary said Kobik rewrote Stevil's history rewrite -- but did she only re-write the "Hydra wins World War II" re-write, or did she go back to when she created Stevil and re-write everything after that?

Captain Comics said:

'Tec, something I'm not clear on: Your summary said Kobik rewrote Stevil's history rewrite -- but did she only re-write the "Hydra wins World War II" re-write, or did she go back to when she created Stevil and re-write everything after that?

The way it's presented isn't completely clear. But the way I read it is that she only reversed what he had just done.  So she just resets back to where we were at the beginning of the issue.

Then after Stevil is defeated, she makes some more changes which are also not clear.  That's when we get the quote that she "restored the history that had been corrupted and taken from us" and we see images of the first Hydra founders like the Kraken.   I take this to mean that she made it so that all of the stuff that Stevil remembered never actually happened.  The strange thing is, Spencer never actually established whether any of it happened or if it was all just implanted memories being carried by Stevil, Zemo and the rest.

My supposition has always been that they were just false memories. Otherwise, this alternate, corrupted history should have had all kinds of ripple effects that changed the lives of everyone in the Marvel U, not just Stevil and the bad guys.

Maybe we will get some clarity on all of that going forward. Or I may have just been reading it wrong.

No, I don't think it's you. It was all pretty vague and unclear (perhaps purposefully so...?). Maybe we'll get further answers in Omega #1. then again, maybe not. As I indicated earlier, I'm ready to move on.

Maybe it's deliberately vague so that they can set up the next event after Generations?  Are we sure the bad Cap is gone or was he just defeated?  If so what can they really put him in prison for?  He couldn't take over the country without almost everyone in the government agreeing could he?

As I mentioned in my previous post, I think they may be planning to merge the two Caps.

There hasn't been any reason given, as far as I know, as to to how people were motivated to comply with Stevil's takeover.  But it could be easily explained as mind control, the Cosmic Cube or any number of factors. 

Going back through issue #1, I noticed this little tidbit:

Oh, yeah... I remember that now.

Flouride? Chemtrails? Man! Somebody's been watching a lot of "InfoWars"! Toss in a Clintons-committed-murder conspiracy, and it's the far-right tinfoil-hat crowd's hat trick!

Might give them an out for the country and it would be a lot easier for them than having to explain why America in the mu preferred fascism to freedom. 

Captain Comics said:

Flouride? Chemtrails? Man! Somebody's been watching a lot of "InfoWars"! Toss in a Clintons-committed-murder conspiracy, and it's the far-right tinfoil-hat crowd's hat trick!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service