Amazon lists:

Showcase Presents Blue Beetle

February 2015

This value-priced title collects the entire 24-issue run of BLUE BEETLE from the 1980s, including the Beetle's battles against DC Universe villains Chronos and Dr. Alchemy. Includes appearances by The Question and the Teen Titans.

Showcase Presents Batman Vol. 6

February 2015

Collects BATMAN #229-244 and stories from DETECTIVE COMICS #408-426

In this new, value-priced collection of tales from the early 1970s, Batman returns his roots as the Dark Knight Detective, operating on his own in the shadows of Gotham City. With Robin away in college, Batman faces new foes and old including Two-Face, Man-Bat and Ra's al Ghul. This collection features stories by the renowned GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW team of writer Dennis O'Neil and artist Neal Adams, who brought a new sense of purpose to comics' greatest detective.

DC has listed many of its spring collections for 2015, and the only two Showcase Presents volumes are:

Showcase Presents: Blue Devil Vol. 1

Collecting Blue Devil #1-18 and Fury of Firestorm #24.

Showcase Presents: The Flash Vol. 5

The Fastest Man Alive is back in this new collection of tales from the 1960s. In this fifth volume, The Flash faces foes from his Rogues Gallery including Captain Cold, and faces difficulties include amnesia, his girlfriend, Iris Allen, being granted invulnerability, and much more. Collects THE FLASH #185-208.

Looks like DC is through with the Silver Age in this format.

Hoy

Views: 2106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm still hoping for Showcase Presents Superman Vol. 5 -- which will bring the series up to within a month or two of when I started reading comics -- but I suppose it will never get here.

I think that's everybody's goal with these things, to catch up to where they started collecting. In my case, that was the early '60s, so I'm eager to have the '50s filled in. But like you, I'm not holding my breath.

...From when ???

Captain Comics said:

The Mandrake collection, if it ever happens, collects the comic strip.

From the start.

...Thank you .

Captain Comics said:

From the start.

I kind of wonder if the Golden Age of Reprint collections has come to its inevitable end. There's a ton of stuff out there that's already been collected, of course, but DC stopped well before all of their best Silver Age material had been SP'd into affordable volumes. I'm wondering what the next stage of reprinting evolution will be ... are we going to have to just sit back and wait for technology and the market to catch up to the point where the publishers make all their back stock available via an iTunes-like digital library model? And what would be the price point for a random back issue from the 1960s or earlier?

About 15 years ago, I had an idea for an online service where you could select old comic book stories from a menu, and using print-on-demand technology, customize your own reprint collection. You could build a volume around a theme of your choice, and the price would be determined by page count, color or B&W, hard or soft cover, etc. You could even choose a title and cover design. It would be more expensive than a commercial reprint collection, but each book would be one of a kind.

I thought the concept could even be carried over into textbooks (where teachers could create readers containing the public domain short stories and poems of their choice) and newspapers and magazines (with customized books collecting articles and photos about your hometown, favorite team or celebrity, etc.) Unfortunately, I couldn't find anyone else who was enthusiastic about the idea, and I lost interest. And now, with everything going to digital, books aren't that big a market anymore.

Dave Blanchard said:

I kind of wonder if the Golden Age of Reprint collections has come to its inevitable end.

I don't think so. Marvel and DC have pretty much dropped out (concentrating on collecting more recent material), but there's some pretty good non-Big Two stuff on the horizon.

If nothing else, Dark Horse is continuing the chronological collections of Archie, Crime Does Not Pay and the EC books. Archie's already up to 1949, CDNP started in, what, 1947? And the EC books are all 1950-54.

PS Artbooks is reprinting a lot of Golden Age material, including all the ACG books, Harvey horror and lots of other horror comics, plus Sheena, Rulah and Planet Comics.

A lot of the non-Big Two Golden Age stuff (including plenty of Fawcett and Quality books) are now public domain, and can be read online at the Digital Comic Museum.

Odd that Dark Horse is reprinting Archie collections instead of Archie.

Ron M. said:

Odd that Dark Horse is reprinting Archie collections instead of Archie.

I don't think Archie has done any hard-cover collections themselves. It may be cheaper for them to have Dark Horse use its expertise and facilities rather than recreating the wheel.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service