Amazon lists:

Showcase Presents Blue Beetle

February 2015

This value-priced title collects the entire 24-issue run of BLUE BEETLE from the 1980s, including the Beetle's battles against DC Universe villains Chronos and Dr. Alchemy. Includes appearances by The Question and the Teen Titans.

Showcase Presents Batman Vol. 6

February 2015

Collects BATMAN #229-244 and stories from DETECTIVE COMICS #408-426

In this new, value-priced collection of tales from the early 1970s, Batman returns his roots as the Dark Knight Detective, operating on his own in the shadows of Gotham City. With Robin away in college, Batman faces new foes and old including Two-Face, Man-Bat and Ra's al Ghul. This collection features stories by the renowned GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW team of writer Dennis O'Neil and artist Neal Adams, who brought a new sense of purpose to comics' greatest detective.

DC has listed many of its spring collections for 2015, and the only two Showcase Presents volumes are:

Showcase Presents: Blue Devil Vol. 1

Collecting Blue Devil #1-18 and Fury of Firestorm #24.

Showcase Presents: The Flash Vol. 5

The Fastest Man Alive is back in this new collection of tales from the 1960s. In this fifth volume, The Flash faces foes from his Rogues Gallery including Captain Cold, and faces difficulties include amnesia, his girlfriend, Iris Allen, being granted invulnerability, and much more. Collects THE FLASH #185-208.

Looks like DC is through with the Silver Age in this format.

Hoy

Views: 2105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The hardcover Archies that Dark Horse doesn't do are still farmed out. Abrams did "Archie Marries ...", for example. It's probably just as you say, Richard, that they take advantage of existing hardcover publishing infrastructure rather than create their own.

I continue to hold out hope that someday Dark Horse acquires the license to reprint DC's Bob Hope, Martin & Lewis and Jerry Lewis titles, along with all the other great licensed humor stuff in the DC vaults (Sgt Bilko, Dobie Gillis, etc.)

Captain Comics said:

If nothing else, Dark Horse is continuing the chronological collections of Archie, Crime Does Not Pay and the EC books. Archie's already up to 1949, CDNP started in, what, 1947? And the EC books are all 1950-54.

PS Artbooks is reprinting a lot of Golden Age material, including all the ACG books, Harvey horror and lots of other horror comics, plus Sheena, Rulah and Planet Comics.

There were three volumes (one for each character) of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman concentrating on WWII adventures solicited by a publisher other than DC (I forget which one) for Sep 30 release. I don't know the exact contents, but I preordered them all in the hope they reprint material I don't already own. Regarding the "Golden Age of Reprints" coming to an end, even if does seem to be slowing down, all (or most) of the material released in recent years is either still in print, or still readily accessible.

It's Chartwell books. And Batman is due Sept. 23, according to Diamond. Here's the solicit:

BATMAN: THE WAR YEARS HC

Publisher: CHARTWELL BOOKS

(W) BOB KANE, BILL FINGER (A) BOB KANE, SHELLY MOLDOFF

$24.99

This new compilation of comic books from the early years of Batman details his involvement in World War II. For many readers, this is the first time ever look at Batman in the war. Batman, created in 1939, the caped crusader, lone mysterious vigilante, brooding anti-hero. He was a great detective and solved crime in Gotham City. Here we see him battling Hitler and fighting the war.

SHOWCASE PRESENTS: BATMAN vol. 6 was finally published in January of this year, and has already arrived at my public library, so at least one quasi-Silver Age DC collection is still current. SP: FLASH vol. 5, on the other hand, is still missing and unaccounted for. And a no-brainer item, that apparently DC has no interest in publishing, despite the high profiles of both Jimmy (*ahem* James) Olsen on "Supergirl" and Lois Lane in the upcoming "Batman vs. Superman" film, is SP: SUPERMAN FAMILY vol. 5 -- a volume I would actually pay money for.

Me, too. I'm not particularly interested in any Showcases or Archives that go past 1969, because if it was a series I liked, I probably already have all the originals. But my wallet is open and waiting for the next Superman, Superman Family, and Strange Adventures volumes.

I've only seen the first STRANGE ADVENTURES volume; were there others? I've also never seen the TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED volume, either.

I have STRANGE ADVENTURES Vol. 2 but not the UNEXPECTED one.

There are two volumes of Strange Adventures (Schwartz-style SF) and one of Tales of the Unexpected (non-Schwartz-style SF). All are worth a quick read if you like late 1950s comic book science fiction, and I do. TOTU has some Jack Kirby artwork, and that makes it worth buying in my opinion.

I'm disappointed that there appear to be no more Showcase Presents after the Batman 6. There was a time when these were coming out twice a month and I was having a great time discovering these wonderful stories I had passed up as a kid because I was mostly a Marvel fan or because they were first published before I could read. Marvel seems to have abandoned any further mining of its remaining Silver Age titles as well, in any format.

Hoy

Dave Blanchard said:

I've only seen the first STRANGE ADVENTURES volume; were there others? I've also never seen the TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED volume, either.

I'm only about 75 pages into SP: BATMAN vol. 6 and already it's my favorite of all the BAT SPs. Okay, so the Frank Robbins-Bob Brown stories slow the pace down a good bit, but there's Adams and/or Giordano art galore, with Denny O'Neil doing his absolute best Bat-work on these stories. According to the GCD, there are still a couple Neal Adams-illo'd stories that could've gone into SP: BATS vol. 7, but apparently that volume will never see the light of day, unless DC wises up and re-markets these things. Rumor has it, Batman's popularilty hasn't exactly waned (wayned?) since DC started doing these SP volumes.

Dave:

Your post inspired me to begin reading my copy of vol. 6. As I was a Marvelite when these stories were first printed, they are new to me. 

I'm finding I'm having trouble getting through the "hip" dialogue in some of the first stories, which comes across as goofy as any of the Bob Haney-scripted Teen Titans of the 1960s, and the "relevant" socially conscious Batman comes across as really weird for a guy transitioning into a creature of the night mode, but overall I enjoy the artwork and for nearly 600 pages, it's a real bargain. I wish they would do more, especially of the Super titles.

Hoy

SP: BATMAN vol. 6 starts out a little slow (although there are a couple really nicely illo'd stories by Neal Adams to pick up the pace), but the book kicks into high gear with the first Ra's al Ghul story from Detective 411. You have to build up a tolerance for Frank Robbins to make it through the whole book, but actually Robbins gets better the farther you get into Vol. 6, and considering that Dick Giordano inks practically every story in the book (except for a couple that Robbins himself drew), the art is overall really good, and occasionally outstanding in an awesome kind of Adams & Giordano way. Irv Novick in particular has never looked better, and Novick draws a few of the pivotal stories in this book. Stick with it, Hoy! This is as good as post-Silver Age Batman ever got, as I note over in the "My Golden Anniversary with Batman" post, with maybe a handful of exceptions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service