Showcase Presents

Amazon lists:

Showcase Presents Blue Beetle

February 2015

This value-priced title collects the entire 24-issue run of BLUE BEETLE from the 1980s, including the Beetle's battles against DC Universe villains Chronos and Dr. Alchemy. Includes appearances by The Question and the Teen Titans.

Showcase Presents Batman Vol. 6

February 2015

Collects BATMAN #229-244 and stories from DETECTIVE COMICS #408-426

In this new, value-priced collection of tales from the early 1970s, Batman returns his roots as the Dark Knight Detective, operating on his own in the shadows of Gotham City. With Robin away in college, Batman faces new foes and old including Two-Face, Man-Bat and Ra's al Ghul. This collection features stories by the renowned GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW team of writer Dennis O'Neil and artist Neal Adams, who brought a new sense of purpose to comics' greatest detective.

DC has listed many of its spring collections for 2015, and the only two Showcase Presents volumes are:

Showcase Presents: Blue Devil Vol. 1

Collecting Blue Devil #1-18 and Fury of Firestorm #24.

Showcase Presents: The Flash Vol. 5

The Fastest Man Alive is back in this new collection of tales from the 1960s. In this fifth volume, The Flash faces foes from his Rogues Gallery including Captain Cold, and faces difficulties include amnesia, his girlfriend, Iris Allen, being granted invulnerability, and much more. Collects THE FLASH #185-208.

Looks like DC is through with the Silver Age in this format.

Hoy

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would get the Batman volume at some point, maybe even full price !

• The Flash volume presumably would resume with the last year or so of the A&E years, the brief Gil Kane run, and then the early (and best) of the Irv Novick years, when Irv was inked by the likes of Anderson and Giordano. That would finish up the Silver Age and probably extend into 1971 or '72.

The Batman volume would find the primest of the O'Neil/Adams stuff, including the first appearance by Ra's al Ghul, and could very well end up being the most popular of all the SP: BATS volumes.

I'm not sure what the appeal would be for either BLUE DEVIL or BLUE BEETLE in SP format, since those titles are way past the Silver Age, and their back issues would presumably be going for a lot less (quarter boxes in many cases, I would think). Now, if DC were to reprint the Charlton Blue Beetle stuff in an SP volume, that would be much more interesting (they did Archive a bunch of that stuff already).

• I suppose if I ever sell my collection, I'd want these Showcases for research purposes. I don't need 'em now, though.

• Good news. Amazon has Flash Showcase Volume 5 scheduled for December 2015.

• Is there any news on Archives? I'm really eager for 1950s Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman!

• Other than the BLUE BEETLE volume, which did get printed, I don't see any indication that any of these are still scheduled to appear. Which would be a huge shame because I'd like to see both the BATMAN and FLASH volumes. Is DC still doing SP volumes anymore or has that ship sailed?

• I preordered Showcase Presents: The Flash Vol. 5 from Amazon. In my "Your Orders" section they still say it is "arriving Mon, Jan 4 - Fri, Jan 8." I hope this is true but when you look at the item itself it says: "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

• I just received an email from Amazon that they are cancelling my order for Showcase Presents The Flash Vol 5 due to unavailability. I guess DC has decided not to publish it.

• I have a couple of books -- a Mandrake collection and I think (original) Action Comics Vol. 6 that have been bumped along since 2011. I don't really expect to see either of them.

• ...What's the Mandrake of ??? I assume it's not the King Comics version collection , which I assume was issued and is complete , just as the Phantom KC collection was ???

Does anyone here remember the never-finished Mandrake mini-series that Mavel issued during the Nineties ??? I never knew about it til' I got involved in the Phantom world (Rather built around the Frew Publications Phantom comic book issued in Australia , Aussies here have commented about it but to say that they prefer the Falk reprints in it which only appeared in periodic Giant issues , it depended mostly on translated versions of the Swedish-put together original material Phantom comic books , which have never been published in the USA in any form whatsoever - Though they sometimes have even been by name American pros that people here would know !) in the 00s ~ though I rather dropped out , as of now :-( .

Captain Comics said:

I have a couple of books -- a Mandrake collection and I think (original) Action Comics Vol. 6 that have been bumped along since 2011. I don't really expect to see either of them.

This reply was deleted.