It's supposed to start after midnight here...maybe a couple of inches. Huzzah! It's cocoa and Sky Captain night at the Beechler-Simpson home!

Views: 1192

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Florida is the only state in the Union without snow right now.

But I'm still not getting my comics today.

WAAAAAHHHHH!

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

Want me to UPS some over to ya?

<smack>

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

It was a thoroughly miserable day in the Washington, D.C. area yesterday.

I knew it was a bad sign when my ride in to work on the Metro system, which usually takes an hour, took more than an hour and a half. The Metro system has five lines, with one track running in each direction. Frequently, there can be a disruption on a track -- a disabled rail car, an electrical fire and resulting smoke in a tunnel, a sick passenger, a maintenance worker hit by a train (it happens more often than you might think) -- that area is blocked off and all trains, in both directions, run on the other, unobstructed track. It happens so frequently that there's a term for it, "single-tracking."

Well, my morning commute was slow because of an electrical fire and resulting smoke -- and a dead third rail -- on one subway line, and an electrical fire in the line I needed to transfer to.

Then the light morning rain and sleet and snow turned to heavy, wet snow in the early afternoon, and kept falling deep into the night. The federal government sent workers home early, which meant the transit systems, streets and highways were full of evening commuters right when snow was falling at its heaviest, and the roads weren't treated because the morning rain and sleet and snow washed away all the salt and deicing stuff.

In short: It was a messy ride all over. I have a co-worker who left at 6 p.m. and got home at 10 p.m., in a drive that should have taken an hour. I have another who lives in my neighborhood who left at 5: 30 and got home about 11 -- and that's after leaving his car two miles from his house and walking. There are reports of people stranded in their cars for six, eight, 10, even 12 hours.

Oh, and one thing heavy, wet snow always brings to this region -- thousands of power outages! There are some 300,000 households that spent the night in the dark last night.

So I didn't even try to go home last night; I checked into the hotel next door. 

I can vouch for everything CK has to say -- it was a commuter disaster yesterday.  I got off relatively easy.  The worst for me was a drive down ice- and slush-covered roads to get from the train station home.  It took me 35 minutes to drive 1.4 miles, white knuckles all the way.
61 and beautiful here today in North Texas.
Now that's just mean, Travis. Here in Charlotte, NC (much closer to DC) it was rainy and about 50. Not a beautiful day, but no commuter disaster either.

Travis Herrick said:

Here in NYC, we got 14-18 inches. No buses in the morning, I had to walk to work in unshovelled sidewalks and not-so-safe streets.

Did I mention that I'm sick of snow?

I figure when it is 110 and humid in July I will get my payback.

Mark Sullivan said:
Now that's just mean, Travis. Here in Charlotte, NC (much closer to DC) it was rainy and about 50. Not a beautiful day, but no commuter disaster either.

Travis Herrick said:

Gee, I has about 8"  and worked from home.

My commute was great (walking from the kitchen to the dining room).

I spent the night at the home of a friend in the western suburbs of Virginia, as my neighborhood is one of those still without power. (Three days and counting! Just like last year!) We helped her dig her car out and then got on the highway toward the city until my wife dropped me off at a Metro station.

The experience reminded me why I regularly take Metro. I could not bear making that drive with all that traffic day after day after day after day. I understand why it drives people to road rage. I'd rather live in a tar paper shack close to town than a mansion out in the suburbs if it means being behind the wheel for two hours to and fro five days a week. 

How far out were you, CK?  (Just curious.)

ClarkKent_DC said:

I spent the night at the home of a friend in the western suburbs of Virginia, as my neighborhood is one of those still without power. (Three days and counting! Just like last year!) We helped her dig her car out and then got on the highway toward the city until my wife dropped me off at a Metro station.

The experience reminded me why I regularly take Metro. I could not bear making that drive with all that traffic day after day after day after day. I understand why it drives people to road rage. I'd rather live in a tar paper shack close to town than a mansion out in the suburbs if it means being behind the wheel for two hours to and fro five days a week. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service