Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 10208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Drawing Heat the Hard Way, by Larry Matysik, a behind-thesecnes look at the nature of professional wrestling in the U.S.
I've finished listening to the LibriVox version of The Eight Strokes of the Clock (Les Huit Coups de l'horloge) by Maurice Leblanc. This is a volume of his Arsène Lupin series, collecting a series of eight mystery stories. The mysteries are unravelled by a masterful character called Prince Renine, who forms a pact with the heroine to investigate eight mysteries as a means of seducing her. In an introduction Leblanc suggests Renine is really Lupin, but in the stories themselves there is no indication of this, aside from a single clause in one tale. So I suspect this is a non-Lupin sequence turned into a Lupin book by the addition of the (short) introduction and that clause. (There is separately a reference to the Lupin novel The Hollow Needle that places the stories in the same fictional universe.)
I've finished A Russian Doll and Other Stories (Un muñeca rusa) by Adolfo Bioy Casares (trans. Suzanne Jill Levine), Doctor Brodie’s Report by Jorge Luis Borges (trans. Norman Thomas di Giovanni and the author), and partly listened to, partly read The Wrong Box by Robert Louis Stevenson and Lloyd Osbourne, and The Cricket On the Hearth by Charles Dickens.
Just finished The Makioka Sisters, by Junichiro Tanizaki. It's set mostly in Osaka in the late 30's and early 40's - just before the war really broke wide open. The eponymous sisters are members of a once-wealthy family now in decline, dealing with various family problems, and the fading of their old way of life in the face of modernization and militarization. It's widely considered Tanizaki's magnum opus, and many call it the greatest Japanese novel of the Twentieth Century. I can say that I enjoyed it a great deal, and found it compelling and well-written.
I'm also working my way through A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole, which I find to be an extremely well-written portrayal of an extremely unlikable character.
I've listened to/read The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe, and just finished The Green Ray (Le Rayon vert) by Jules Verne.
Last night I zipped through Hell, by Yasutaka Tsutsui, in which a 57 year old executive is killed in a motor vehicle "accident", and finds himself guess where? It was very interesting stuff, asking the question, "In a world without a God, what difference is there between Hell and Earth?"
I've finished The Space Machine by Christopher Priest, a homage to H.G. Wells, and The Beast with Five Fingers and Other Tales by W.F. Harvey (minus three stories, which are missing from my copy).
Back to Michael Moorcocks Swords trilogy with Book Two - The King of Swords. I can only take Moorcock in small doses. His stories read like ERB on LSD.
I've not taken a lot of time for book readin' lately, but I just got started on Charlie Huston's latest, Sleepless. It's a dystopian future present story: it's set pretty much now — actually, about six months from now — but is a now where an outbreak of a disease called Sleepless happened in 2007, causing anyone who contracts it to, well, not be able to sleep, ultimately leading to death. Huston extrapolates the effects of the outbreak into a world of chaos and martial law, and then puts us into it through the eyes of an undercover LA narcotics officer who's on the trail of any black market treatments for Sleepless, and a hitman who...well, I don't actually know how he'll play into the story yet.

It's a compelling read, but I waited too long to get started; it's due back to the library tomorrow, and I'm only 80 pages in! See how much I can get done before tomorrow, I guess...

Oh, and my audiobook gym listen-reading right now is Live and Let Die, the second Bond novel. Boy howdy, is that dated; the offhand, patronizing sexism and racism (the story, as you may know, revolves around a Harlem-based black market organization) can be hard to take sometimes. And Fleming's perception of what Americans are like...well, it doesn't ring true to me, but as this is the New York of 55 years ago, I really don't know if it's because he got it wrong or just that we've changed a lot in half a century.
Travis Herrick said:
Travis Herrick said:
"The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. This will probably take me a little bit longer to read than the Elmore Leonard book.

I am over halfway done with this now and I am enjoying it more than I thought I would. It moves at a pretty quick pace as well.

I finally finished this on Sunday. I really liked it.

Now I am reading Savage Night by Jim Thompson
I've just finished The House That Nino Built by Giovanni Guareschi (trans. Francis Frenaye), a collection of short comic stories about family life, and Room 13 by Edgar Wallace, the first of his J.G. Reeder books. In the twist ending of this one (spoiler warning) we learn that Reeder is really named Golden, and the real Reeder is one of the other characters. This is simply ignored by the other Reeder books.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service