Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 14655

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. You may have heard of it.

...Book gets/acqs..........

Mary Shelley - FRANKENSTEIN (2nd time I'llve read , revised edition both times .)

Zora Neale Hurston - THEIR EYES WERE WATCHING GOD

Katheleen Hall Jamison - PACKAGING THE PRESIDENCY (non-fiction) !!!!!!!!!

...(non-ficcie) CITIZEN HOBO ~ HOW A CENTURY OF HOMELESSNESS SHAPED AMERICA - Todd DePastino

Fergie: My Life from The Cubs To Cooperstown by Ferguson Jenkins with Lew Freedman.

David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell. Yes, Malcolm Gladwell is what I call an "airport writer", in that his books are what I call "airport books"--the books that are so darn popular that they are in airport bookstores. But so far I really like this one...

No More Mr. Nice Guy:A Life Of Hardball by Dick Williams and Bill Plaschke.

Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman.

Hilarious.

I just started Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond which attempts to explain why some civilizations advanced quicker than others. Pretty good so far although 2 parts annoyed me:

1. In the prologue he tries to explain what each chapter will explain. Isn't that why I am reading the book?

2. He went through a detailed explanation of all of the knowledge and disciplines an author would have to have in order to write a book like this. Lo and behold! Mr. Diamond has all of it, what a shock.

Outside of that pretty fascinating.

The History Channel (actually H2) just finished a season (hopefully not the only one) of a new show called Big History. It looks at little-known or little-acknowledged details in the history of Earth that had far-reaching consequences. One was the fact that horses were not in the Americas until Europeans arrived. The lack of horses meant that all travel was by foot. As a consequence the indigenous people (even the ones with empires) were very limited in how far they could travel, which affected their ability to trade or to spread their empires. They also didn't have domestic cattle (oxen, etc) to help with travel.

I just finished Joe Hill's Twentieth Century Ghosts, a collection of short stories. I enjoyed it very much, and some of the most memorable stories are not horror at all: more like fantasy, usually with some surreal or magical elements.

Today I started Virginia Woolf's Night and Day, an early novel which is in the public domain. I've never read any of her books, and putting this on my Kindle seemed like a reasonable place to start. I'm feeling a bit like it's an assignment for English class, but I'm just a couple chapters in.

It was a habit of mine for awhile that I would go to Chapter's books, get a coffee and then pick a book from the shelf and read a bit of it--and then come back on following days and read more. I finished several books that way--including GUNS, GERMS AND STEEL, which I eventually ended up buying after I had read all of it (and I even bought another copy as a birthday present for my nephew). It's not so much that I was cheap you see--but I liked the experience and it actually got me to read books that I wouldn't otherwise get around to reading. 

But I lived much closer to Chapter's those days and I had the habit of walking there quite often as part of my weekly routine. I still stop into Chapter's, although it's quite far from home now, but I haven't got back into my habit of reading when I'm there. And I haven't managed to finish most of the books that I've started to read in the last few years. It's kind of crazy that I keep buying more books, when I have so many that I either haven't even started or have never finished.

Mark Sullivan (Vertiginous Mod) said:

I just finished Joe Hill's Twentieth Century Ghosts, a collection of short stories. I enjoyed it very much, and some of the most memorable stories are not horror at all: more like fantasy, usually with some surreal or magical elements.

That's Stephen King's kid, isn't it, Joe Hill?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 806 Super-Heroines
"I can  certainly see why they would."
59 minutes ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 806 Super-Heroines
"Added Amber Aquamaria Blazer Brickhouse Captain Liberty Cleopatra I  Cleopatra…"
1 hour ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 770 Super-Heroines
"I'm sure she (and DC) needed to change with the times. "
1 hour ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Mini-series count this month? Anyway, title changes can be tricky. In this case what we know today…"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 770 Super-Heroines
"Thanks again, gnents ,lots of updating to do!"
2 hours ago
"They seem to be considered the same person in current continutiy."
3 hours ago
"Interesitng "Dumb Bunny" was the ionly naame that I'd ever known her by."
3 hours ago
"Lady Liberty was already onnthe list, but I'll certainly add the others."
3 hours ago
"Interesting. Never knew about them."
3 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 770 Super-Heroines
"I can't believe that Namora was left off and the Golden Age Golden Girl!"
4 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 770 Super-Heroines
"And Awkwardman's mother, the Mermaid and Merryman's mother, Lady Liberty!"
4 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 770 Super-Heroines
"I recall Dumb Bunny is now known as "Tough Bunny," and a quick look on the 'net…"
4 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service