Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 10213

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I recently finished E.F. Benson's Queen Lucia. This is the first of his "Mapp and Lucia" books, which satirise life in Britain between the wars. The series has its fans - Tom Holt even added two books to the series in the 80s - but this one didn't make me one.

I've also recently finished Agatha Christie's The Mysterious Affair at Styles. This was her first book and Poirot's debut. It struck me as a very strong start.
I finished up The Yiddish Policeman's Union, and it was great. I've read three Michael Chabon novels now, and they have all bee great.

I am now reading Can I Keep My Jersey? 11 Teams, 5 Countries, and 4 Years in My Life as a Basketball Vagabond by Paul Shirley. It is one hell of a long title, but so far it is really funny. People on the periphery of pro sports like this are a lot of the times more interesting than the stars.
Fatal Charms and The Mansions of Limbo by Dominick Dunne. It collect the articles he wrote for Vanity Fair. I like in the introduction that he had no intention of being objective in these articles. The first one details him covering the trial of his daughter's murderer's trial. Pretty rough.
Just finished the third book in Michael Moorcock's Sword trilogy - The King of Swords. Don't know if this is an original thought or not, but the sub genre staked out by Moorcock should be called Sword and Psychedelia.
Now I am reading The Illegal Rebirth of Billy the Kid by Jessica Ore. I don't read much sci-fi any more, but this one did catch my eye. Billy the Kid isn't a clone of the original, but he isn't truly human either. They are chimera's and he was illegally (obviously) created by a guy who works for the CIA who needs some extra cash. He stole some DNA, to create Billy, and uses what they know about Billy to program his mind. He then places a program, I guess you would call it, in him that makes him to view the world they are in (2067) as the 1880s. Also when someone speaks to him in terms to advanced for his word he just hears it as gibberish. Also, chimeras who have no home are taken in by the SPCA, they are treated like animals by a lot of humans. "Dog meat robot" was one of the names given to them
doc photo said:
Just finished the third book in Michael Moorcock's Sword trilogy - The King of Swords. Don't know if this is an original thought or not, but the sub genre staked out by Moorcock should be called Sword and Psychedelia.

I read that trilogy years ago. I only remember that the sort of spooky other-dimensional guys in cowls and robes appeared in my bedroom one night when I was half-asleep.

While I'm reading Moorcock's fantasy novels I can only admire his imagination and writing skill (even when he's in pulpy paperback mode as with these 70's books.) But when I put them down, I find it very hard to remember what happened! There's something very ephemeral about them.

My favourite are the Hawkmoon books, which I've read several times. Which is strange because Hawkmoon is probably the most boring character of the Eternal Champions. His adventures might be the least psychedelic, although it has its moments.

I never got around to reading the second Corum trilogy. I've always meant to read the Irish legends on which it was based instead (The Book of Invasions, I think, which has a character called Nuadh of the Silver Arm who seems very like Corum.)

I haven't read a lot of fantasy in recent years, but I found the Dragon in the Sword to be AN excellent conclusion to the Eternal Champion stories*. It was written by someone who'd become a really great writer since starting out as a good Sword and Sorcery writer.

*It's too complex a cycle to have just one conclusion.
Figs, your reaction to Moorcock is similar to my own. At one time I read several of the Elric collections in relatively short order and like you, came away not remembering a whole lot of what happened. I rarely read anything in the fantasy genre these days, but I find myself going back to Moorcock from time to time. There is something in his writing style that is very intriguing. It helps that he staked out his own fictional universe that avoids most of the standard fantasy cliches.
Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
I bought Marilynne Robinson's "Absence of Mind" over the weekend (yet another addition to the ever-increasing list of books/authors I have discovered via The Daily Show) but I haven't started reading it yet. Tracy is working her way through the late Stieg Larsson's "Millenium Trilogy" (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.) and is really enjoying them.
I was on vacation a couple weeks ago, and read a ton of books:

The Black Cauldron, by Lloyd Alexander
The Long Fall by Walter Mosley
A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Burglars Can't Be Choosers and Hit and Run by Lawrence Block
And I've just finished Walking Around Money, a Donald Westlake Dortmunder novella in the Transgressions series (a collection of novellas edited by Ed McBain; the other two in this book are by McBain and Mosley).

Also, I've been enjoying The Writer's Tale, a series of emails about the writing of Doctor Who Season 4 by Russell Davies.

And I just reread all of Ex Machina to date, but that's comics.
Jules Feiffer's memoir, "Backing into Forward." Priceless anecdotes about reading Golden Age comics and working in the Will Eisner studio.
Yesterday I finished The Sea Mystery (1928), by Freeman Wills Croft, one of his Inspector French books. The book begins with the discovery of a sunken crate containing a dead body. It then follows French as he unravels the case. His approach combines careful investigative police work with intuition.

I recently read the play The Mousetrap, by Agatha Christie, in the collection The Mousetrap and Other Plays. This is a well put together mystery play, much like much of her fiction. The West End production has run continuously for over fifty years (but not in the same theatre) and has become a tourist attraction for its longevity.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service