Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 12383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Spring Snow, the first book of Yukio Mishima's Sea of Fertility tetralogy.

I'm still reading On Stranger Tides by Tim Powers. It's the basis for the next Pirates movie.

I'm also reading iPads for Dummies so I'll have some idea of what I'm doing when mine arrives from Apple later this week. I sure appreciate the occasional 40% off Borders coupon that they email me when there's a 25$ book that I want.

I've been speeding through "Lighthouses and Keepers: The U.S. Lighthouse Service and its Legacy."  It's a look at the history of the U.S. Lighthouse Service prior to it being absorbed into the U.S. Coast Guard. There's some fascinating stories about the keepers' lives and how the lighthouses were constructed.

I'm a bit of a sucker when it comes to stories about people in the rescue services.

Also: I was at the library on Saturday and noticed a new Will Eisner biography on the shelves. I'll have to grab that some day soon.

I've been re-reading the Harry Potter series. I picked up the first three books in an after-Christmas sale. I'm already finished with one and two and now I'm a little more than halfway through three.

Runaway Horses, the second book of Yukio Mishima's Sea of Fertility tetralogy.

Finished Slaughterhouse-Five. I enjoyed it, and I'll have to get my hands on the movie so I can see how it compares to the book. I remember it as pretty faithful, and Vonnegut has praised it. Started Gene Wolfe's Home Fires, which I like so far. I've never read any Wolfe, but it showed up on a library new book list and I was intrigued by the premise. I remember the reanimation of the dead concept in Transmetropolitan, where frozen people were called "corpsickles." In this case it's the personality of a dead person transferred to a new live body...I could swear I've seen that used before, but I can't recall it. Anyway, the story also involves a woman returning from space travel (where she has barely aged in Earth years) rejoining her Earthbound lover (who has aged normally). That reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode, although again it's a different situation here. There are lots of changes in this future society that have only been hinted at so far, which I'm hoping to learn more about as the story proceeds.

The Temple of Dawn, the third book of Yukio Mishima's Sea of Fertility tetralogy.

The Best Man's Handbook: A Guy's Guide to the Big Day by James Grace. My brother gets married next weekend and I'm his best man. I've already thrown the bachelor party which was a success. I was curious as to what other duties I might have. There's stuff online but it's all sort of vague. So I bought this book at Borders last night. Hopefully this will enlighten me.

The Decay of the Angel, the fourth book of Yukio Mishima's Sea of Fertility tetralogy.

Just finished a Buddy Holly biography. Over the weekend picked up Hawk Moon by Michael Moorcock from the library. The book is a collection of four short novels featuring the Hawk Moon character.
Continuing my tour through Vonnegut, I started Mother Night today. I picked it from a short list of recommended novels by him, and had no idea there was any connection to the events of Slaughterhouse-Five. This is definitely the least fantastical of the ones I've read so far (the other was Cat's Cradle).
Currently, I'm re-reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. My daughters are of an age where they can now read these books too (or at least listen to audio CDs) and it's fun to read through them at the same time.

Previously, I read a very interesting sci-fi novel by Michael Kube-McDowell called Vectors. It starts off dealing with questions of individuality and personality and then veers into questions of reincarnation and the soul. I picked it up from the library because I'd read McDowell's Star Wars trilogy and it was a convenient for travel paperback.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service