Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 10398

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm finishing up Ivan Goncharov's Oblomov.  I have about 45 pages to go.  It's almost like four different books in one: a satire, a love story, a love tragedy and a caper.
The December issue of Rolling Stone (the one with the John Lennon interview).
Wow I think we are burying the lead here.

Jeff of Earth-J said:
Actually, that whole issue is especially good.  I got a dirt-cheap Rolling Stone subscription recently, and I've been enjoying getting re-acquainted with the magazine.  This despite the fact that I have very little interest in most of the contemporary pop and rock music they still cover.

Travis Herrick said:
Wow I think we are burying the lead here.

Jeff of Earth-J said:
Finished Private Wars, Greg Rucka's 2nd Queen & Country prose novel.  I think I liked it even more than the first.  Over the course of the two novels Rucka has introduced several new characters which take the story beyond a mere continuation of the comic series.  And I started Patriot Acts, the Atticus Kodiak novel that picks up right where Critical Space left off.  No rest for the wicked in this so far.  And Rucka is not afraid to kill off familiar characters, is he?
"Colonel Roosevelt," the third and last volume in Edmund Morris' incredibly detailed (and incredibly entertaining) Theodore Roosevelt biography.
Life by Keith Richards with James Fox.  I was set to read more fiction, but my library hold came in at the right time.  It's good so far.  It begins with a 1975 Rolling Stones story--that's what everyone is buying the book for, after all--but then goes into Richards' early life, like any proper biography.  Lots of interesting stuff about his family and life at home and at school.
Oh, man I loved that book. There were somethings he put in there that I was a bit surprised about.

Mark Sullivan said:
Life by Keith Richards with James Fox.  I was set to read more fiction, but my library hold came in at the right time.  It's good so far.  It begins with a 1975 Rolling Stones story--that's what everyone is buying the book for, after all--but then goes into Richards' early life, like any proper biography.  Lots of interesting stuff about his family and life at home and at school.
We, by Yevgeny Zamyatin.
A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller. Pretty durn good, but I'm not sure how to take it quite yet. It's about making your life a better story--worthy of being a movie, instead of living just a mundane existence. It's really well-written, and about 90% convincing as a possibility....
Just finished We, by Yevgeny Zamyatin - it's well worth a look. Orwell said he'd read it, and he thought there was a good shot that Huxley had read it, as well. I can believe it, one can see elements in this book that resonate with elements in both 1984 and Brave New World.
Coming up next is The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With the Sea, by Yukio Mishima.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service