Just bringing this discussion over to ning...

What books are you reading right now that don't have a narrative driven by images as well as words?

Views: 13311

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My "reading theme" this year is fantasy.  

At the moment, I'm (re)reading The Sword of Shannara, which is the first high fantasy novel I ever read, back when I was younger than The Lad is now.  Because it was the first high fantasy novel I ever read, I didn't say then (as I'm saying to myself now) "Holy Carp, this thing's starting as a shameless ripoff of the plot of first few chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring!!!"  Nevertheless, it's pleasantly readable, Tolkien doesn't own the bits and pieces of a classic medievalesque fantasy so I'm more amused than annoyed, and since Brooks managed to knock out 30-ish books in this series he must, at some point, have found something original to say with those bits and pieces.  So I'm in (at least for a while).

Speaking of being amused, I started the year with the first (and my first) Discworld novel, The Color of Magic.  Looking forward to more of those.

Between Brooks and Pratchett, I could probably just call it "The Year of the Terrys", but I've set aside a ton of other things I want to sample this year (including several recommendations from The Lad.  Unless I wear out, this could turn into a 2-year project.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service