I'll continue to follow 10 titles after sampling many this past month.  My list:

Batman

Batman & Robin (sue me...I like Damian as a foil for Bruce)

Batwoman

Batgirl

Wonder Woman

Aquaman (my favorite #1 of the bunch)

The Flash

Justice League

Swamp Thing

Demon Knights

I like Grant Morrison, but...I'm 41...I don't need to read yet another version of Superman's early life, especially when it's been done better in Tom DeHaven's novel from a few years ago. 

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good question. I’ll be continuing with all I tried:

Action Comics
    Batgirl*
    Justice League

OMAC
    Superman
    Swamp Thing*

*Tracy is reading, too.

• I'll be getting second issues of

Batgirl

Green Lantern

Green Lantern Corps

Justice League

Justice League International

Nightwing

Red Lanterns

Static Shock

Wonder Woman

Plus, I haven't read the week four books yet so I'll likely add a few more. 

• Now that I've read this week's books, it's decision time:

Keep:
    Action
    All-Star Western
    Batman
    Batwoman
    Demon Knights
    Flash
    Frankenstein
    Firestorm
    Justice League
    Legion
    Legion Lost
    OMAC
    Resurrection Man
    Swamp Thing
    Wonder Woman
    Shade (added for October)
    Legion Secret Origin (added for October)

Keep (on a short leash -- most likely I'll see the first story through):
    Aquaman
    Batgirl
    Birds of Prey
    I, Vampire
    Superman (might wait and pick up cheaper, digitally)

One more issue, then...?
    Justice League Dark
    Men of War
    Mister Terrific (might wait and pick up cheaper, digitally; I want to like this more than I did.)

Dropped 
    Batwing (might wait and pick up cheaper, digitally; I like it, but am reading too many batbooks as it is.)
    Blue Beetle (might wait and pick up cheaper, digitally; I want to like this more than I did.)
    Grifter
    Static Shock

Biggest Surprises:
    Birds of Prey and Aquaman. I don't think Birds feels like Birds without Oracle (not even the character, so much as the dramatic structure of a central figure positioning operatives). But it did feel like a good start to a female-centric action series, and I'm down with that. As for Aquaman, like Birds, I wasn't even planning to pick it up. But this is a strong start to a book with a character I've never cared about much... but I do care about this guy, so far.

Biggest Disappointments:
    Static Shock & Blue Beetle. Both felt like fairly generic teen superheroes to me. I like the previous iterations of the characters a lot, but I'll wait until these guys (and their worlds) get fleshed out with some more depth.
  • All of the ones I got first issues of. I am locked into three issues for all of them by preordering. None of the ones I bought did I hate so much that I am dropping them after one issue anyways.
  • Biggest Disappointments:
    Static Shock & Blue Beetle. Both felt like fairly generic teen superheroes to me. I like the previous iterations of the characters a lot, but I'll wait until these guys (and their worlds) get fleshed out with some more depth.

I agree.  I'm sticking it out with Static Shock for a second issue at least but that's because of my previous admiration for the character. 

• Travis Herrick said:
    All of the ones I got first issues of. I am locked into three issues for all of them by preordering. None of the ones I bought did I hate so much that I am dropping them after one issue anyways.

I didn't hate any of them, to be honest. (Though Grifter didn't have much to recommend it.) But I intentionally sampled more comics than I could buy regularly. And I know I haven't cut deeply enough.
  • These are the only "definites". Others as the mood and budget strike me on the day.

Justice League International 

Mister Terrific 

Green Lantern: The New Guardians 

Batwoman 

Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE 

All Star Western

• I'm still working on this week's stack. I've added waaay too many. A few I've been on the fence about so I'm giving them another issue, the rest were good enough for me to add right away without hesitation. I'll post my list later once I've made my final decisions. And honestly pretty much everything I read was not bad, there were just a few that didn't hook me from the get go.
  • Given that I didn't buy but so many -- and I haven't made it to the store yet this week -- I think I can safely say that I'll give Action ComicsBatgirl, and All-Star Western a second-issue try.

No to Birds of Prey; it just isn't the same without Oracle. Probably no to Batman or Detective Comics; I've been waiting too long to get the Batman I used to like and want to read, and this ain't it. I fear DC has permanently lost me as a Batman reader. 

I still have to give Wonder WomanSupergirl and Superman a first-issue try before I can decide on the second issue.

• I like Grant Morrison, but...I'm 41...I don't need to read yet another version of Superman's early life, especially when it's been done better in Tom DeHaven's novel from a few years ago. 

I feel ya! Did you get the Johns/Frank reboot just a short time ago? The closeness of these two reboots probably doesn't help either.

My 'Johnsophobia' has meant that I passed on the last reboot and I'm ok with this one, even though Waid's Birthright is still fresh in my mind ... :-)

Unfortunately, your ennui with Superman pretty much mirrors my own with superhero stories generally. I've read so many of them by now... Animal Man and Swamp Thing seem like pretty well made comics, with good set-ups for series, but even still, I don't see me staying on til the end of their current arc, let alone very long term.

I do find myself looking forward to the next Frankenstein. They are all such freaks and the set-up with the little manga Father Time is drawing in this jaded old fanboy. I wouldn't have been able to give the judgements above a week or two ago, but that's how it's looking after the books have perculated in my head for a bit.

Wonder Woman looks like fun. I realised this morning that although it's selling itself as partially a horror book, I'm not sure it will be able to really get under the readers skin the way good horror comics like Moore's Swamp Thing did. So far it's just an R15 superhero comic.

I'd rather own Morrison's Action in collected form, but I'm not waiting 6 months to a year for them.

After pestering Paul Cornell about the new Shining Knight on his blog, I owe it to him to stick with Demon Knights for a while. It is a good comic though. Like Frankenstein, the fact that they are all freaks and outcasts is probably part of the charm.

I'll stick with Batwoman for a while too.

That hooded woman malingering around the books is very off-putting, I have to say.  I'm not buying into anything that leads into another soulless Johnsian mega-crossover.  She should vamoose her caboose asap!

This reply was deleted.