... the series from the late 80's that ran 31 issues, plus one Annual, all written (I believe) by Doug Moench? And how about the Hal Jordan as the Spectre series that ran from 2001-2003?

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read the first three issues of the Moench series then dropped it. Years later I picked up the rest of the run at a quarter sale, but have not yet read it. From what I've heard about it, your reading time may be better spent reading the Ostrander/Mandrake series.

I did read the entire Hal Jordan Spectre series, but not a lot of it stuck with me so I can't really recommend it. What I can recommend, however, is the four-part "Destroyer of Worlds" storyline by J.M. DeMatteis and Michael Zulli (from Legends of the DC Universe #33-36) which bridged the gap between the Ostrander/Mandrake series and the ongoing DeMatteis Hal Jordan series.
I should have mentioned that I have a number of the Ostrander/Mandrake issues, and I love 'em. Through ebay, I'll probably track down the issues I'm missing. I'm a big fan of Moench's run on Batman, so I was curious to hear about his take on the Spectre. I'm kinda on the fence about the Jordan series, as I run hot and cold on DeMatteis. Thanks, though, for letting me know about "Destroyer of Worlds", I'm going to track that down.
Guess what I found in a dollar box a few hours after Jeff's post?

Yup. Legends of the DC Universe #33-36! Thanks Jeff!
I loved the Moench Spectre series a lot, but that love paled compared to the way I drooled over the Ostrander series.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

What kind of stories did the Moench series do?
John Dunbar said:
Guess what I found in a dollar box a few hours after Jeff's post?

Yup. Legends of the DC Universe #33-36! Thanks Jeff!

Cool! Let us know on this thread what you think ot it after you've finished reading it.
I read a few issues of the Moench series, but I'm astonished it had made it past 10. I think my last issue was the Millennium crossover, which, IIRC, sucked the worst kind of eggs imaginable.
I picked up the first three issues, but it just didn't click with me, even though I loved the Gene Colan art. I didn't read any of the Hal Jordan series, mainly due to a lack of funds. Ostrander/Mandrake's Spectre is still, in my mind, the definitive version.
How long was Colan on the book? I don't remember his art on it at *all*.
According to the Grand Comics Database, Colan drew the first six issues.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Superman and his parents BEFORE they became his parents!"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"I can't say about that, but Thomas is on record about borrowing certain aspects of…"
2 hours ago
MethodEng replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I'm almost certain I've posted this one before under a different context, and I probably…"
2 hours ago
doc photo replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"I am a day behind on my reading. Regarding Roy's essay - he mentions a Fawcett character…"
3 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"The hallmark of George Pérez is that he always went the extra mile, especially when he…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion All in Color for a Dime
"For the ads. 10. "The Second Banana Heroes" by Ron Goulart As with Roy Thomas's…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #76: (The title means "Adoration of the Earth.") The issue opens with the Phantom…"
4 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"My only concern with "classrooms" is that there might not be enough of them (we might end…"
4 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Steve:  Here's the new information to update the top-of-discussion index.  Link to…"
5 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Here's the traditional image of Batman with his parents... ...and an unusually different take…"
5 hours ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Little Audrey and her mother"
5 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"THE DISAPPEARANCE OF FLIGHT 412 (1974): "A flight wing of the Air force has been experiencing…"
6 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service