Replies

• I read the first three issues of the Moench series then dropped it. Years later I picked up the rest of the run at a quarter sale, but have not yet read it. From what I've heard about it, your reading time may be better spent reading the Ostrander/Mandrake series.

I did read the entire Hal Jordan Spectre series, but not a lot of it stuck with me so I can't really recommend it. What I can recommend, however, is the four-part "Destroyer of Worlds" storyline by J.M. DeMatteis and Michael Zulli (from Legends of the DC Universe #33-36) which bridged the gap between the Ostrander/Mandrake series and the ongoing DeMatteis Hal Jordan series.
  • I should have mentioned that I have a number of the Ostrander/Mandrake issues, and I love 'em. Through ebay, I'll probably track down the issues I'm missing. I'm a big fan of Moench's run on Batman, so I was curious to hear about his take on the Spectre. I'm kinda on the fence about the Jordan series, as I run hot and cold on DeMatteis. Thanks, though, for letting me know about "Destroyer of Worlds", I'm going to track that down.
  • Guess what I found in a dollar box a few hours after Jeff's post?

Yup. Legends of the DC Universe #33-36! Thanks Jeff!
  • I loved the Moench Spectre series a lot, but that love paled compared to the way I drooled over the Ostrander series.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

• What kind of stories did the Moench series do?
  • John Dunbar said:
    Guess what I found in a dollar box a few hours after Jeff's post?

Yup. Legends of the DC Universe #33-36! Thanks Jeff!

Cool! Let us know on this thread what you think ot it after you've finished reading it.
  • I read a few issues of the Moench series, but I'm astonished it had made it past 10. I think my last issue was the Millennium crossover, which, IIRC, sucked the worst kind of eggs imaginable.
  • I picked up the first three issues, but it just didn't click with me, even though I loved the Gene Colan art. I didn't read any of the Hal Jordan series, mainly due to a lack of funds. Ostrander/Mandrake's Spectre is still, in my mind, the definitive version.
  • How long was Colan on the book? I don't remember his art on it at *all*.
  • According to the Grand Comics Database, Colan drew the first six issues.
This reply was deleted.