Spider-Man's first onscreen appearance

I just saw an episode of Naked City from 1962 on MeTV which may contain the first ever appearance of Spider-Man (and maybe the first ever 1960s Marvel superhero to appear on TV).  In the episode, "Hold for Gloria Christmas," Burgess Meredith rushes to a newstand...and what is hanging in clear sight?

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• And when he turns to dash away, we see, from a different angle, Journey Into Mystery #83, the first appearance of Thor...

1936469110?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• Very interesting. That's well-spotted, Peter.

I've been trying to find some of the other covers, using the galleries at DC Indexes. The second cover from the right in the second image is Dell's Flintstones #6, from May. The one next to the Amazing Fantasy cover in the first image might be a Harvey comic, but I can't see it in the galleries.

I didn't know this, but it seems the month the new superhero features were launched was also the month the first Gold Key comics went on sale. I would think Marvel's publisher Martin Goodman knew that was going to happen.

• I The one to the left of the Journey into Mystery cover is Dell's Thirteen #4, from June.

• I also found it quite fascinating to see it as a brand new copy of AF 15, before it would get hit with "Marvel chips."  

• Wow! That is AWESOME!

• The rightmost cover in the lower image is another copy of Thirteen #4.

• Was Burgess Meredith ever young? He looks old even here!

• He even looked kind of old in Of Mice and Men in 1939.

• The comic to the left of Amazing Fantasy #15 in the upper image is Dell's Margie #2.

This reply was deleted.