I thought I woulds start a thread where anyone can toss out their favorite Halloween reads during this time of year. I know I personally like horror comics year round, but especially during the month of October.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The Plot #1: A wealthy Northern California family deals with the loss of their father, and the whole thing is wrapped up in the supernatural. They make their way back to the family home in Maine, where the horrors have been waiting. This is written by Tim Daniel and Michael Moreci (I'm unfamiliar with both, but impressed) and drawn by Joshua Hixson with color by Jordan Boyd. The art is perfectly dark for this story.

This comes from Vault Comics, which is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

3660149023?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Tales of the Night Watchman #1: This comes from So What? Press, and it answers the question, "What if the Phantom Stranger was pretty much a normal guy, and owned a coffee shop?" In his sleep, he goes to work against the paranormal terrors that haunt his town by using his astral-projected form.

This issue was written by Dave Kelly with art by Brett Hobson, and a little research tells me that this is not a new-new character. This issue, however, is just part one of two, so there is no excuse not to check it out if you're the least bit curious. I was pretty impressed, and I will at least pick up the second, if not try to track down the previous incarnations of this title. I just found this comic to be fun.

3660157389?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Something Is Killing the Children #1: From Boom Studios comes the perfect comic to chill you right to your bones, and this one is just pure frightening. A simple, innocent game of Truth or Dare brings unexpected results as the lead character, James, suddenly finds himself all alone. His buddies have all been killed by something. Suspected by the police and his classmates, he tries to figure out what happened, and gets some help from a monster-killer girl.

This was written by James Tynion IV, who I generally find to be too wordy, but here he seems to have tampered down his verbosity. Maybe he's becoming a better writer. It is drawn by Werther Dell'edera, whose work I have seen here and there, but the first time I remember seeing him was on Vertigo's Loveless. I will definitely read the next issue/s of this book.

3660169550?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Sometimes I'll read Marvel's Monster of Frankenstein or Tomb of Dracula, but a perennial favorite of mine has been The Last Temptation of Alice Cooper.

02335004288.1.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

• This is definitely one I need to check out. It's written by Neil Gaiman if I'm not mistaken?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Sometimes I'll read Marvel's Monster of Frankenstein or Tomb of Dracula, but a perennial favorite of mine has been The Last Temptation of Alice Cooper.

02335004288.1.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Last night, I finished reading Batman Damned. The supernatural element definitely qualifies this one as a Halloween book. I loved the presence of Constantine, Zatanna, Swamp Thing, and Deadman here. And this definitely put Azzarello at his word-play best.

• "This is definitely one I need to check out. It's written by Neil Gaiman if I'm not mistaken?"

Correct, with art by Michael Zulli. There's also an album. One can enjoy the album without reading the graphic novel or one can enjoy the graphic novel without listening to the album, but to fully appreciate the work, one should experience both. I don't know your taste in music, but I think you'd like the comic book.I think I've just talked myself into re-reading it!

• Last night, I pulled out my copy of The Thirteenth Floor off the shelf. Each story is only about four to six pages long, but I was able to get about four or five of them in before crashing. I love this book. It's about a "smart home" apartment building before its time, where the building itself would talk to its inhabitants. Whenever someone roughs up one of his renters, he simply takes them on his elevator to the Thirteenth Floor, where they are visited by all kinds of living hell. It's written by John Wagner and Alan Grant, so you know it's full of British comic goodness.

• 01052011824.448.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

• It would have been an amazing crossover!

This reply was deleted.