Back when DS9 and Voyager were on the air simultaneously, I remember reading an article in TV Guide which postulated that, in the future, Deep Space Nine would be remembered as the best of the (then) four Star Trek television series. The writer made a compelling argument for his case. I don’t remember his specific reasons, but I can tell you this: I have seen every episode of DS9 once, and once only… with two exceptions: I have seen “Blood Oath” (with the three TOS Klingons) and “Trials & Tribble-ations” multiple times each. Because I am less familiar with DS9 than I am TNG, I will probably spend a bit more time summarizing the episodes than I did with TNG, starting with…

Views: 997

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

THINGS PAST: It’s time travel “Dark Shadows-style” as Odo, Sisko, Garak and Dax are thrust into the past of three Bajoran prisoners (and Gul Dukats concubine) executed on Terrok Nor some seven years ago.

THE ASCENT: Odo and Quark are stranded on an inhospitable planet and must work together to survive. Pretty standard stuff. In the B-plot, Jake and Nog (home from Starfleet Academy) become roommates, but not without some friction.

I always wonder about the two guys who were in the line-up in the original episode, whose places Bashir and O'Brien occupied in the DS9  episode.  I picture them having completely different Starfleet careers because Miles and Julian got busted instead of them.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

TRIALS & TRIBBLE-ATIONS: As I mentioned in the very first post to this thread, “Trials & Tribble-ations” is one of only two episodes of Deep Space 9 I have seen more than once. I am not one of those people who think “The Trouble with Tribbles” is one of the three best episodes of TOS, but it is my favorite of DS9. In addition to the phenomenal digital effects, it blew my mind (at the time) that the difference between TOS Klingons and the ones from TMP was actually addressed in canon! Trivia note: the temporal investigators “Dulmer" and "Lucsly" are anagrams for "Mulder" and "Scully".

RAPTURE: While studying a painting of the lost Bajoran city of B’hala, Sisko uses insight and 24th century technology to determine the city’s whereabouts. (It has been lost for 20,000 years.) He reconstructs an obelisk from the painting in one of Quark’s holosuites and is struck by an energy discharge which greatly enhances his senses but threatens his life. Meanwhile, Bajor is on the cusp of being admitted to the Federation, but Sisko has a vision that this is not the time and advises against it. Starfleet is not happy with him, but more Bajorans than ever, including Kai Winn, accept him as the Emissary. After Sisko collapses, Jake authorizes Dr. Bashir to operate on him, thus bringing his enhanced senses to an end.

Kassidy Yates is back after having served six months on prison for helping the Maquis.

THE DARKNESS AND THE LIGHT: Someone is killing off the members of Kira’s former resistance cell. It’s a serviceable episode, but not particularly interesting.

THE BEGOTTEN: Odo acquires a baby Changling. The Bajoran doctor who raised (and tortured) him gets wind of it, and joins Odo against his will. The attempt to train the infant Changling in the use of its powers results in a reconciliation between the two. Unfortunately, the baby Changling dies, however, its last act is to restore Odo’s powers.

In the related B-plot, Kira gives birth to the O’Briens’ child.

FOR THE UNIFORM: The return of Commander Eddington, who defected to the Maquis. At first, Eddington knows Sisko too well and out-thinks him at every move, leaving Star Fleet no choice but to assign another captain to capture Eddington due to Sisko’s lack of success. Eddington sends Sisko a copy of Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables, comparing himself to to Jean Valjean and Sisko to Javert. Sisko ultimately has to come to the other captain’s rescue and he also manages to capture Eddington.

IN PURGATORY’S SHADOW / BY INFERNO’S LIGHT: This two-parter escalates the war with the Jem’Hadar and the Dominion. Worf and Garak undertake a mission to find Garak’s mentor Enabran Tain, but although they dod find him, it is a trap and they are captured. They also find Klingon General Martok as well as Dr. Bashir who, unbeknownst at anyone (well, except the real Bashir) has been replaced on DS9 by a Changling a month ago. The Changling/Bashir’s plan is to fly an explosive into Bajor’s sun, causing a supernova. When a massage from the real Bashir comes through the wormhole, Kira stops the Changling/Bashir with a tractor beam in the nick of time. The Cardassians join the Dominion, and the Klingons become allies of Starfleet again after the events of this episode.

DR. BASHIR, I PRESUME: I remember this episode, but not as well as I thought. I recall, for example, that this is the episode which reveals that Julian Bashir is the product of genetic engineering, but I misremembered the circumstances and I didn’t remember that Robert Picardo appeared as Dr. Zimmerman (the basis for the EMH program on Star Trek: Voyager) at all. Dr. Bashir has been chosen to be the template of Starfleet’s new long-term medical hologram (LMH) just as Dr. Zimmerman had been the template for the (short-term) EMH. During the course of this process, it comes to light that six year old Julian was the subject of illegal genetic enhancements. For the record, Sisko works out a deal with Starfleet that Julian’s father must serve two years, but Dr. Bashir will be allowed to stay in service.

In the B-plot, Dr. Zimmerman woos Leeta, who pines for Rom, prompting him to speak up before he loses her forever.

A SIMPLE INVESTIGATION: After declining an invitation to participate in a holo-novel with Julian, Jadzia and Miles, Odo becomes involved in an intrigue of his own. He has an affair with a human woman who is not what she appears to be. After the tension of the two-parter and the light humor-mixed-with-seriousness of the previous episode, this one is a huge disappointment. Even my bare bones description makes it sound more interesting that it actually is.

BUSINESS AS USUAL: Quark becomes involved in illegal weapons trade, but only to the extent that he allows his holosuites to be used for demonstrations. When he learns of a deal which will result in the death of 28 million people, he sabotages the deal so that it will not go through.

TIES OF BLOOD AND WATER: This episode follows up on the third season episode “Second Skin,” in which both Kira and a Cardassian are led to believe that they are father and daughter. He is now dying and wants to reveal certain state secrets to Kira to use as she will. When she finds out he once participated in a massacre on Bajor she rejects him, but, remembering how she rejected her own father and wasn’t there for his death, relents and reconciles.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service