Star Trek: Discovery (DIS) launched in 2017 on the streaming platform CBS All-Access (an ironic name if ever there was one). I waited until it came out on DVD then, to kill time waiting for season two (to be released on DVD), I watched all of Star Trek: The Next Generation (TNG), Deep Space Nine (DS9), Voyager (VOY) and the fourth season of Enterprise (ENT). By this time, DIS season three is out on DVD and I have yet to watch season two. Frankly, I wasn't all that impressed with season one... at least not as the prequel it is purported to be. As a reboot of the franchise, I liked it fine, yet the showrunners insist it is in continuity, despite the fact it seems to violate canon in a major way. I came to the show knowing that there would be no visual continuity with the original show and I was prepared to accept that, but I did expect there to be story continuity. (When I say "visual continuity," I am referring to the ships and uniforms, not the Klingons.) Honestly, I could have gotten to this discussion much earlier, I really just didn't care to. I am told that season two takes steps to reconcile the continuity differences. We shall see. I plan to start over with season one. Here's a look at what's ahead.

SEASON ONE:

1. The Vulcan Hello - -p1

2. Battle at the Binary Stars - p1

3. Context is for Kings - p1

4. The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry - p1

5. Choose Your Pain - p2

6. Lethe - p2

7. Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad - p2

8. Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum - p2

9. Into the Forest I Go - p2

10. Despite Yourself - p2

11. The Wolf Inside - p2

12. Vaulting Ambition - p3

13. What's Past is Prologue - p3

14. The War Without, the War Within - p3

15. Will You Take My Hand? - p3

SEASON TWO:

1. Brother - p3

2. New Eden - p3

3. Point of Light - p3

4. An Obol for Charon - p4

5. Saints of Imperfection - p4

6. The Sound of Thunder - p4

7. Light and Shadows - p4

8. If Memory Serves - p4

9. Project Daedalus - p4

10. The Red Angel - p5

11. Perpetual Infinity - p5

12. Through the Valley of Shadows - p5

13. Such Sweet Sorrow - p6

14. Such Sweet Sorrow, Part 2 - p6

SEASON THREE:

1. That Hope is You, Part 1

2. Far From Home

3. People of Earth

4. Forget Me Not

5. Die trying

6. Scavengers

7. Unification III

8. The Sancuary

9. Terra Firma, Part 1

10. Terra Firma, Part 2

11. Su'Kal

12. There is a Tide...

13. That Hope is You, Part 2

Views: 602

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If Discovery had been messing about in the Mirror Universe, how come Kirk and Company didn't know such a place existed?

Now, if they  end up on the mirror version of the SOL...

Good question. But, just as I'm not convinced the DIS universe is the same as the TOS one, I'm not convinced the MU is the same one, either. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the differences in continuity weren't ripple effects caused by a time-travelling vampire from Collinsport, Maine. 

VAULTING AMBITION: In the MU, Burnham was raised, not by Sarek but by Emperor Georgiou, who thinks of her as a daughter. What Burnham does not know, however, is that her MU counterpart and the MU Lorca conspired to assassinate Georgiou. Before all this comes out, though, they have dinner together. Georgiou has Burnham choose among three Kelpians (Saru's race), which she does. I'm sure Burnham must have thought (as I did, even the second time through) that the Kelpian she chose was to be her servant or something, but she was shocked to discover that, no, the Kelpian was the main course! the dinner does not go well. Lorca has already been sentenced to an agony booth for life, and Burnham is sentenced to death.

On Discovery, Stamets is still in a coma, but is in communication with his MU counterpart, who is also in a coma. Saru consigns Tyler/Voq to L'Rell's care.

Back aboard the palace-ship, with no other option left, Burnham resorts to telling the truth. She tells Emperor Georgiou that if she will only supply the coordinates of the area of interphasic space which the Defiant came through, Discovery will return to its own universe. But the Emperor reveals that passing through interphasic space drives crews mad, and by the way, how did Discovery pass into the MU? Then Burnham goes all Vicki Winters on her and tells her about the spore drive. Big mistake. If you tell the megalomanical emperor of an evil regime about a weapon which has the potential to defeat all of her enemies, of course she's going to want it! 

The final kicker of the episode: Lorca is revealed to have been the MU Lorca all along!

WHAT'S PAST IS PROLOGUE: As Tracy and I move through these first season episodes a second time, we find that she remembers certain things, I others. For example, at the mid-season finale, Tracy remembered that they were in the Mirror Universe, but I did not, despite the fact I remembered they spent quite a bit of time there and even thought it happened earlier in the season. I remembered "Lorca" was actually a "Mirror" counterpart, but that revelation caught Tracy by surprise. Neither one of us recalled that Dr. Culber had his neck snapped. If you've never seen these episodes and are nevertheless reading these posts, you may have noticed a lot of plot holes. That's not because of my half-@$$ed summaries (at least not entirely); these plots really do have a lot of holes. 

On the ISS Charon (the palace-ship), Lorca successfully leads a mutiny against Emperor Georgiou. Burnham and Georgiou manage to turn the tables and kill his personal guard. When Lorca is the only one left alive, Burnham spares his life, but Georgiou runs him through from behind. The rest of Lorca's men are breaking through the door. because she lost "her" Burnham, Georgiou offers to buy time with her life, giving Burnham the opportunity to beam away. Meanwhile, Saru and his crew have devised a way to return to the prime universe without a spore drive by destroying the Charon and riding the shockwave of the explosion. At the last moment, Burnham grabs Georgiou and they are both transported back to Discovery. Their plan to return to the prime universe works, but they return nine months after they left only to find that the Klingons have won the war.

At the beginning of the season, Burnham is mostly behaving as a Vulcan. After her affair, she is letting her emotions rule her decisions more. The biggest example of this is the end of the episode we just finished. There was no logic in her decision. 

We learn that MU Lorca entered the Prime universe while transporting during an ion storm, which is consistent with the original "Mirror, Mirror". Also consistent would be that Mirror Lorca and Prime Lorca would have switched places at that time (so we may not have seen the last of Jason Issacs as Gabriel Lorca), but no word of that yet. Also, what's the Mirror Discovery been up to while its Prime counterpart has been trapped in the MU? As far as I recall, these questions were not addressed in the final two episodes of season one. Season two maybe? I'll find out soon enough.

Click on this link and take a look at this preview of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds.

BAM! That's the way to do a Star Trek prequel series, update the look and still remain true to TOS. This is what I expected of DIS. I am so looking forward to SNW!

THE WAR WITHOUT, THE WAR WITHIN: Some of my outstanding questions are answered this episode. Apparently the war isn't quite over, but very nearly so. A Starfleet vessel appears, overrides Discovery's systems, and a landing party beams aboard. Leading the party is Admiral Cornwell along with Sarek. After verifying Discovery's identity via mindmeld with Saru, Cornwell reveals Discovery had been thought destroyed by the Klingons, but that was actually the ISS Discovery. Cornwell determines that knowing a Mirror Universe in which the Federation's killed loved ones exist would be bad for moral, so orders a lid clamped on the whole affair, thereby "explaining" (?) why Kirk and company knew nothing of its existence in "Mirror, Mirror".

What remains of Starfleet Command has regrouped on Starbase 1, but when Discovery arrives, they find it in the hands of the Klingons. Emperor Georgiou is confined to the guest quarters, and Burnham visits her to ask how she defeated the Klingons back in the MU. Georgiou lays out a plan that involves a surgical strike on the Klingon homeworld Qo'noS. Burnham present this plane to Cornwell, Sarek and Saru.

Meanwhile, "Tyler" has been "cured" of Voq's personality by T'Rell. The crew (except Stamets) have more or less forgiven him, but until this point Burnham has refused to speak to him. Tyler has been stripped of his duries and will never pilot a Starfleet ship again. He now knows what was done to him and can access Voq's memories, but Tyler is in control. when Burnham finally agrees to talk to him, it is to break off their relationship. After that, Sarek leaves the ship. At the end of the episode, the formerly "missing" Captain Georgiou takes her place as Discovery's new captain.

WILL YOU TAKE MY HAND?: Discovery is en route to Qo'noS, on an apparently Starfleet-sanctioned mission to destroy it. "Captain" Georgiou uses Terran methods to interrogate L'Rell, but doesn't get any useful information. Burnham suggests asking Tyler, who tells them how to infiltrate the planet's core via a volcano near an Orion Embassy and trading post. the landing party consists of Georgiou, Burnham, Tyler and Tilly. they become separated, but Georgiou manages to successfully launch the bomb into the planet's core; the detonator is coded to her bioprints. Just in time, Burham learns the truth of the mission and stops Georgiou from committing genocide. They then return to Discovery and Burnham confronts Admiral Cornwell (via hologram), on the verge of committing mutiny again (although I guess technically it's not "mutiny" if she has no official standing in the ship's crew). When Cornwell sees that the entire bridge crew stands with Burnham, she backs down in favor of an alternate plan.

T'Kuvma's goal had been to unite all Klingon Houses but, now that the war is close to being won, the Houses have split and are acting independently, vying for control. Burham hand the detonator over to T'Rell and codes it to her bioprint. She approaches the Klingon Houses with demand that they reunify or she will destroy Qo'noS. Tyler decides to stay behind. Later, back on Earth, Burnham is granted a full pardon by the President of the Federation and her full rank of commander is reinstated. Discovery is to fly to Vulcan to pick up it's new captain. On the way they respond to a Federation distress signal. When they arrive at the coordinates, they discover it has been sent by the U.S.S. Enterprise under the command of Christopher Pike. 

And that's the end of the first season. From this point on, I will be seeing these episodes for the first time. My first time through, I spent a good deal of my thought trying to reconcile the square peg of season one with the round hole of Star Trek continuity. This time, having a better idea of what to expect, I concentrated more of the stories themselves as well as the overall arc. I think I could accept Discovery more easily if it were a prequel to the "Abramsverse" movie, but the showrunners have steadfastly denied that as vociferously as they maintained that it's part of TOS continuity. Season two is when they reportedly try to smooth over some of the discrepancies, but I don't know. Just as I have determined that Dark Shadows' "1795" arc and the Star Wars prequels both belong to alternate realities in my own personal continuity, at this point I don't see any way to reconcile DIS with TOS short of establishing it as an alternate reality. 

We had a little road trip planned for Saturday so we took a break between seasons one and two on Friday night, but I'm back today with S2 E1. from here on out, everything will be new to me.

BROTHER: Both Sarek and Burnham expect to see Spock, and neither one of them ever expected to see him again. Captain pike beams over with his chief engineer (a woman in a red shirt) and a science officer (a human male). The Enterprise was too far away to have fought in the war, and this fact weighs heavily on Pike and, apparently, Spock as well. We find out later in the episode that Spock has taken a leave of absence. (I do know exactly what's up with that because I recently read The Autobiography of Spock, but I'm not going to say anthing more about it until it's revealed in the show.) Pike and his crew arrive wearing the "new uniforms" of TOS. "They certainly are colorful," remarks Burnham. 

The Enterprise had been investigating several "red bursts" but was somehow so severely damaged in the process that it must return to Starbase for repairs. Meanwhile, Captain Pike has been ordered to take command of Discovery to investigate the asteroid field from which the last of the signals had originated. Brief aside here: this premise reminds me of the DC's Star Trek comic book series in which Kirk and company took command of the U.S.S. Excelsior after the Enterprise was destroyed in Star Trek III.  (Those stories have since been rendered apocryphal.) When Spock told Kirk that he served under Pike for "11 years, four months, five days" (in TOS "The Menagerie"), he didn't say, "except for the time I was [REDACTED] and Captain Pike took command of Discovery." 

They discover (no pun intended) a Starfleet ship crashed on one of the asteroids, but they cannot beam down or take a shuttlecraft to investigate because reasons. Instead, Burnham suggests they pilot the hitherto unseen landing pods. They launch four: Pike and his two crewmen plus Burnham. The science officer is cocky and doesn't take Burnham's advice, so he crashes into one of the asteroids and dies. Debris from his pod damages Pike's forcing him to eject, but his thrusters malfunction forcing Burnham to eject and save him. The other pod lands safely. 

The U.S.S. Hiawatha is a medical ship. All personnel and patients were evacuated before the crash, except for some that were unable to be moved. Engineer Denise Reno stayed behind and has kept them alive with engineering tricks. (If they explained why the ship's doctor wasn't there, I missed it.) They have been there for 10 months and Reno wasn't aware that the war is over. They are able to set up pattern enhancers so they are able to beam everyone back, except Burham doesn't make it out before they fail. She is knocked unconscious and sees an angelic figure as she awakens. (This is mentioned in The Autobiography of Spock several times, but I kind of glossed over those sections knowing that I would be watching Discovery soon.) Pike returns to rescue her. 

Stamets has accepted a transfer. He, Tilly and Saru capture a huge rock from the asteroid field in the shuttle bay for later examination. With his mission to investigate the red light now over, Pike turns command of Discovery back over to Saru, but with the Enterprise in need of further repairs, he stays aboard Discovery as a sort of "co-captain." Before Enterprise departs, Burnham is able to access his personal log (which seems like a breech of protocol to me, if not security) and learns his disappearance is somehow linked to the red lights. 

NEW EDEN

"We find out later in the episode that Spock has taken a leave of absence. (I do know exactly what's up with that because I recently read The Autobiography of Spock, but I'm not going to say anthing more about it until it's revealed in the show.)"

That didn't take long. Spock is actually in a psychiatric unit on Starbase 5. Funny... when I look at "Where No Man Has Gone Before" or "The Corbomite Maneuver," I just don't see a funny farm in Spock's past... or a sister, either, for that matter. At least Kirk's brother was mentioned twice. And speaking of "Where No Man Has Gone Before," the uniforms from "The Cage" were still in use at that time, so I guess Pike and his crew's ultra-colorful ones are supposed to be "topical." (These events take place after "The Cage," BTW.) Spock had sketched the light bursts months before they appeared.

Another burst is detected in the Beta Quadrant, and Pike authorizes the use of the spore drive to get there. Discovery arrives at an Earth-like planet to find a settlement of of refugees from WWIII 200 years ago, before warp drive was invented! An unknown entity brought them there, and the refugees practice an amalgam of several Earth religions. Tilly is injured while sampling the meteor from last episode in an effort to develop a non-human interface for the spore drive. Radioactive debris suddenly endangers the settlement, and Tilly suggests a way to use the asteroid to drag the debris away. 

A settler descended from scientists (and sceptic of their religion, which tells that earth was destroyed) captures the landing party and confiscates their equipment in an attempt to prove that that are from Earth and that it still exists. (They claimed to be "visitors from the North" to which Tracy quipped, "Lots of planets have a North.") Pike is injured when he wrests a phaser from a child who is playing with it. The landing party retreats to the church and beams up, but the transport is witnessed. Back on Discovery, Tilly meets a young crewman who seems familiar. At last she places her as someone she knew in high school, but when she looks her up, she is shocked to discover the girl died several years ago. 

Despite the fact that the members of the settlement are refugees from Earth, General Order #1 applies because they are a pre-warp society. Because they witnessed the landing party beam up anyway, Pike beams down again and offers them a trade. He offers them a long-lasting energy cell in return for a helmet-cam from a WWIII era soldier that no longer functions. They get it to work and it reveals the "angelic" figure Burnham saw on the asteroid last episode. 

POINT OF LIGHT: This episode skips among three story threads, the Klingons', Spock's and Tilly's, which I will deal with separately. 

KLINGONS: There is lots of political intrigue on Qo'noS. L'Rell is having a difficult time uniting the Houses, and no one trusts Tyler/Voq. L'Rell's uncle reveals to Voq her secret: L'Rell's baby fathered by Voq. Kol-Sha, L'Rell's chief political rival, finds out about the baby, kidnaps it and kills her uncle, demanding that she abdicate. At the height of their battle, Philippa Georgiou beams in and L'Rell Kills Kol-Sha. Georgiou introduces herself as a "Starfleet Security Consultant" and reveals that she works for the mysterious "Section 31." She insists that Voq and her baby are a weakness and must be killed, which earns her a knife held to her throat. Yet, in the next scene, L'Rell presents the council with Tyler/Voq's head and the baby's skull. Their deaths are a ruse, however. The baby is on its way to Boreth where it will be raised as a monk, and Georgiou plans to recruit Tyler/Voq to Section 31. 

TILLY: Tilly continues to be "haunted" by the "ghost" from her childhood. The ghost is becoming increasingly aggressive toward her, and distracts her from the Command Training Program. No one else can see the ghost. When Captain Pike has Tilly sit in the command chair for a training exercise, she screws up and begins yelling at the ghost, but it looks as if she is yelling at Pike. She quits the program and confides to Burnham about the ghost. Long story short: I don't remember whether or not I mentioned this, but while Tilly was in the MU, a tiny piece of spore drive entered her body without her knowlwdge. That is what tapped into her memory and created the ghost. It wants to see the Captain, but not Pike, the "shorter, blonder one," by which it means Stamets, who pilots the ship from the spore chamber. Saru is able to remove the parasite from tilly's body and she is put back on the command track.

SPOCK: Sarek's personal long-range shuttle approaches Discovery, but to Burnham and Pike's surprise, it carries not Sarek but Amanda. She tried to visit her son at Starbase 5 but was refused, despite their status as wife and son of a respected diplomat. Amand has stolen Spock's medical files, but they are encrypted. She gives them to Burnham who gives them to Pike. Pike contacts Starbase 5 only to learn that Spock killed three of his doctors and escaped. Pike orders Burnham to decrypt the files. The file reveals that spock had seen visions of a "Red Angel" which Amanda recognizes from Spock's childhood. Burnham admits that, in order to shield Spock from the Vulcan extremists who attacked her when she was young, she once hurt in in some as-yet-unrevealed way.

Burnham admits that, in order to shield Spock from the Vulcan extremists who attacked her when she was young, she once hurt in in some as-yet-unrevealed way.

Should that read "she once hurt him"?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service