I picked up the first issue of Steve Rogers Captain America today out of curiosity and I have to say it completely caught me off guard.

I generally have a pretty high tolerance for hype, gimmicks, and attempts to stir up controversey or get attention. I can understand it to a certain degree. The comic book marketplace has gone through some massive changes over the years and it's tough to create enough of a buzz to get readers to take notice. But despite all of that, I just thought this story was ridiculous.

SPOILER WARNING

The twist here is that Steve Rogers is, and always was, a Hydra agent going back to his childhood. It's apparently not a hoax, or a trick, or mind control or anything else. We even get flashbacks from Steve's childhood to further convince us. And Tom Brevoort has said that it's not a trick or imaginary story.  For some reason, I've finally reached my exhaustion point with this stuff. Not that I'm angry or upset or anything. I'm just having trouble finding a reason to stay invested. And I feel like, if this turns out to be true, it does irreparable harm to the character. Cap is maybe the one Marvel character that you just can't do this type of thing with because his one defining quality was his unassailable character. And additionally, even if it turns out to be a misdirect, the whole thing just reeks of desperation and shortsightedness.

Views: 1718

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think that ever since cw 1 the marvel people have just decided it's better to be hated and generate anger because no matter what sales go up anyway.  After all every storyline in the past few years that has gotten good sales seems to have gotten people angry at the same time.  Fanboys are one of the great whipping boys left in our culture, any objection or outrage they exhibit is met with scorn, dismissal and in some cases abuse.  What has marvel got to loose by angering fans?  It hasn't hurt them before.

I have yet to get angry over something like a comic book.

There have been times when apathy set in because I couldn't find a reason to get invested. But anger, no I save that for things that matter.

I'm fascinated by this, and am seriously considering buying the book instead of waiting for it to show up on Marvel Unlimited in 6 months. This is appointment comic-bookery.

It's baloney, of course. They're setting people up to get angry and froth and what-have-you only to eventually use an out of some sort so that everything's explained and Steve was never truly a Hydra agent. But They'll take a year or two to get there, ratcheting the tension up as they go. It should make for some great, pulpy comics. 

I have UNSHAKEABLE faith that Captain America is not actually a secret Hydra agent. It should be a lot of fun having that faith tested.

This sums up how I feel.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I'm fascinated by this, and am seriously considering buying the book instead of waiting for it to show up on Marvel Unlimited in 6 months. This is appointment comic-bookery.

It's baloney, of course. They're setting people up to get angry and froth and what-have-you only to eventually use an out of some sort so that everything's explained and Steve was never truly a Hydra agent. But They'll take a year or two to get there, ratcheting the tension up as they go. It should make for some great, pulpy comics. 

I have UNSHAKEABLE faith that Captain America is not actually a secret Hydra agent. It should be a lot of fun having that faith tested.

“I have UNSHAKEABLE faith that Captain America is not actually a secret Hydra agent. It should be a lot of fun having that faith tested.”

Well put, Rob!

Setting aside for a moment the Cap/Hydra thing, Captain America: Steve Rogers #1 was a really well-written story. I won’t say telling the story of a rank-and-file minion has never been done before, but rarely so well. Whereas the bomber may not have been a sympathetic character per se, it was at least understandable how he got to that position. And saving that yopung man’s life was every bit as important to Captain America as saving the lives of innocent victims. That’s the Captain America I know.

Actually, that brings me to one point I have to disagree with Tec about. He wrote:

Cap is maybe the one Marvel character that you just can't do this type of thing with because his one defining quality was his unassailable character. 

I think that makes him the absolute BEST character to tell this story with. Told with Iron Man or Hank Pym or Reed Richards, and it wouldn't get much more than a shrug from me. It'd probably still be a hoax, but maybe it's just Marvel horribly misreading their own character, so who knows? But with Cap, his goodness and honorableness are so central to his character, that this simply CAN'T be a mistake. It takes on the her's strongest trait and tells us we've been wrong about him all along -- but we know we haven't been. All that is absolutely clear in a way that it wouldn't be with another hero, and cuts to the core of Cap in a way that it wouldn't for another hero. This is the right story for him, out of all the heroes in the Marvel U.

While I haven't read the book yet, the twist was hurled in my face the moment I went on Facebook.

My initial reaction? After just waiting to see how the story goes. my biggest fear is that Marvel is trying to justify Sam Wilson as legitimately being the better Cap much like saying Mary Jane was always Peter's true love over Gwen or Kyle Raynor was better than Hal Jordan.

I have not posted in a long time on the comics side of the forum, but this drew me back in again. 

I have no idea where this is going.  But it sounds intriguing enough to get me to buy the comic.

That said, I have read what everyone has posted and I agree with almost all of it.  If this is Capt. America and  he is an agent of Hydra and he did not use that knowledge in the past when he had his hands on something like the Cosmic Cube, then he must have been dropped as a child. 

But I'm going to go on this ride for a little while and see where it takes me.  I trust Jeff of Earth-J.  He says it is well written, then I'm in. 

Add to that, I will be reading what is said here to help me digest what the book is attempting to say. 

So, meet parabbi again.

Welcome back, Pa!

As to my reaction: I agree with everything Jeff and Mike agreed with. At first I felt like somebody punched me in the stomach, but now I'm adopting the Zen of the Legionnaires above. Thanks for talking me off the ledge, fellas!

Welcome back, Mike! Great to see you here again!

Oh my stars and garters!  Howdy, Mike!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I think that makes him the absolute BEST character to tell this story with. Told with Iron Man or Hank Pym or Reed Richards, and it wouldn't get much more than a shrug from me. It'd probably still be a hoax, but maybe it's just Marvel horribly misreading their own character, so who knows? But with Cap, his goodness and honorableness are so central to his character, that this simply CAN'T be a mistake. 

Good point. The story impact with Cap is probably greater than it would be with anyone else. But if, by some chance, this is another "sad but powerful" moment it's a huge mistake.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service