Views: 1222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

As I understand it, Calista Flockhart arranged to do her scenes for her episode appearances in what I will call out-of-sequence clusters, so she can appear in multiple (but not all) episodes without having to relocate full-time to Canada where the Berlanti shows film. The first season on CBS filmed in Los Angeles.

I'm just happy there's a DC live action production that will occasionally feature Superman, and not that guy from the Snyderverse.

Oh, that's great -- then she'll be in more episodes than I expected!

Richard Willis said:

As I understand it, Calista Flockhart arranged to do her scenes for her episode appearances in what I will call out-of-sequence clusters, so she can appear in multiple (but not all) episodes without having to relocate full-time to Canada where the Berlanti shows film. The first season on CBS filmed in Los Angeles.

I have to agree on all points. What's more, it was a good jumping on point if you didn't watch the first season. Heck, my mother watched it; and, not only could she follow it (OK, I had to explain Mon-El) but she enjoyed it enough to look forward to the next episode.

Oh yeah, if on the off chance the father and son were the Waynes, they were really slumming it. I just don't see either character moving out of Gotham and going casual.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Supergirl had the best season opener of any show since TWD season six!

Regarding the family Superman saved, I don’t think that was intended to be the Waynes. I think the joke is that they think Gotham City is safer than National city.

I don’t know whether or not Perry White still says “Great Caesar’s Ghost!” but it’s better than “Great shades of Elvis!”

Hank Henshaw indicated that the DEO is holding the Krytonite as defense against other, criminal, Kryptonians.

JD DeLuzio said:

I'm just happy there's a DC live action production that will occasionally feature Superman, and not that guy from the Snyderverse.

What he said!  photo thumbup.gif

I wrote about Mon-El this week, but didn't say much else about Supergirl in that column (except for the new faces you'll see this season). I don't have much to add except enthusiasm. Nice season opener, correcting many of the minor flaws of the first season.

I didn't care much for the James-Kara ship, so I'm not sorry to see it go. As an old Silver Ager it seems a bit incestuous, but moreover, it seemed forced. I like Mehcad Brooks well enough and wouldn't mind seeing him part of the Berlantiverse, but he doesn't seem to have purpose here.

I aggree that the breakup did seem harsh and forced -- IF you are a TV viewer who has been told repeatedly that these two will have a relationship. In the context of the show, and real people, they'd only shared one kiss and half a date. That's a good time for either party to call it off if they don't see a future.

I don't mind DEO moving from a cave to an office. I hadn't thought about why until it was mentioned here that new sets were required. Better to start fresh than try to replicate the old set and be told by hundreds of fanboys what you got wrong, right? Also, an office set is probably a lot less expensive than a cave set. Besides, who works in a cave besides Batman and the Challengers?

Not only is the James bit gone, but so is Winn (now at DEO and not pining for Kara) and the sister act seems on the back burner now. That's a relief for me, because I find the "human drama" to be found on shows like this to be hopelessly trite and usually lead to "extra special episode" lessons that we all learned as pre-teens.

Instead, Supergirl seems to be heading heavily into its source material. Lena Luthor, Metallo, Mon-El (and possibly the Legion), Snapper Carr, Miss Martian -- it's not specifically Supergirl material, but it's all from the comics, which I find more interesting than most network TV (and have since I was pre-school).

I also think moving Winn to the DEO is a good idea. It's a natural fit and his computer talents were wasted working at CatCo.

You're right that Kara-Jimmy was a non-romance. I just think that if the DEO HQ that was "always there" was to be introduced in episode 1 they should have pushed the end of the non-romance to episode 2. Too many changes jammed together make them really feel forced.

I don't know how I feel about Miss Teschmacher, Cat's new assistant. This is a call-back to Lex Luthor's girlfriend in the first two Christopher Reeve films and reminds me (against my will) of Gene Hackman's campy performance.

When Superman mentioned Luthor was in jail, didn't he or Supergirl make a reference that sounded a lot like the events of Superman: The Movie? That he was guilty of sending a nuclear missile at Poughkeepsie? Which would put this after Superman: The Movie, in which Miss Tessmacher was (I think) implied to be dead. So maybe it's only a blurry reference to Superman: The Movie, and you don't have to remember Gene Hackman.

It was probably a similar event like what happened in Superman: The Movie as this Lex was a businessman.

I liked the "new" Superman but he looks so young, and yes, they explain that!

I still can't see Jimmy as "JIMMY OLSEN". James Olsen, yes!

I really thought that it was Lena Luthor who turned Corben into Metallo and I'm glad to be wrong!

Can they introduce Batman to this reality? Would they? Should they?

Yeah, I took it like the references in the first ep of <i>Buffy</i> to the earlier film, as in, "something vaguely like the movie happened in the past, but let's not get into it."

It would strangely reflect DC's  history if Batman and Supergirl and Superman coexisted in one universe, while their other characters lived in the Flash/Arrow-verse. Until late in the Silver Age, the two groups didn't crossover very often, even if they ostensibly shared a universe.

Philip Portelli said:

It was probably a similar event like what happened in Superman: The Movie as this Lex was a businessman.

I liked the "new" Superman but he looks so young, and yes, they explain that!

I still can't see Jimmy as "JIMMY OLSEN". James Olsen, yes!

I really thought that it was Lena Luthor who turned Corben into Metallo and I'm glad to be wrong!

Can they introduce Batman to this reality? Would they? Should they?

Since they moved the whole show to Canada, it was probably easier to just have the DEO be in an office building as opposed to a not-so-secret hideout in the middle of nowhere, especially since the new middle of nowhere in Canada wouldn't look like the middle of nowhere in California ... especially once it starts snowing.

Speaking of which, I read an article where the Supergirl producer thought it's a good move to be in Vancouver because it's less expensive and thus can allow for more location shooting. Los Angeles is a more interesting place visually, he said, but outdoor shooting was prohibitively expensive, which was why there were so many scenes in Kara's apartment, the DEO, and CatCo.

Having Winn in the DEO is a good fit, but it already seems like he's the only guy there who actually does any work! 

Unfortunately, going forward we'll just get drop-by appearances of Cat Grant, and it sounds like Calista Flockhart's scenes won't be integrated with the action. Too bad. The mother-daughter relationship between Cat and "Kiera" and Cat and Supergirl is one of the best things about the show. I still think Cat knows those two are the same but has realized it's important to Kara to keep it secret and thus isn't bringing it up any more. That's what I want to believe, anyway.

Captain Comics said:

When Superman mentioned Luthor was in jail, didn't he or Supergirl make a reference that sounded a lot like the events of Superman: The Movie? That he was guilty of sending a nuclear missile at Poughkeepsie? Which would put this after Superman: The Movie, in which Miss Tessmacher was (I think) implied to be dead. So maybe it's only a blurry reference to Superman: The Movie, and you don't have to remember Gene Hackman.

I appreciate a blurry reference to Superman: The Movie over one to Man of Steel or Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

As for Gene Hackman, he could have given us a menacing, malevolent Luthor had the director wanted it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service